ADVERTISEMENT

So who's your Preseason IHSA Football #1 ranked team in Illinois

I have to go with MC (and) ESL as co-number 1's in the preseason. But I personally think MC would beat ESL in 2020 unless there are unfortunate changes &/or injuries. I would not be able to explain why either of those 2 were ranked lower than the other in the preseason polls.

I'm not sure who I would put at #3. There are 3-4 candidates.

I have to go with MC (and) ESL as co-number 1's in the preseason. But I personally think MC would beat ESL in 2020 unless there are unfortunate changes &/or injuries. I would not be able to explain why either of those 2 were ranked lower than the other in the preseason polls.

I'm not sure who I would put at #3. There are 3-4 candidates.

ESL will likely pick up 3-5 more kids though.

Extremely early pick based off who I know that’s coming back I’d say MC has the the most complete team of impact returning starters on both sides of the ball led by Lynch, Odeluga, Parker, and 4 linemen on offense and Perry, Haygood, Egan and 2 other DBs on defense. Also a great P/K in Patino. This group is 32-0 so far, so I’ll give them the early edge.

Naz will have a ridiculous offense again led by McCarthy and the best returning WRs in the State, but I know they took some hits on defense and I’m not sure who they have in the pipeline.

LA will have a sick amount of returning starters on both sides....BR with Shaw, Lausch and Morehead will be extremely dangerous and Jones and some Fenwick transfer on defense....SR with Brown and Wilson and Gaughton on Defense...the amount of Juniors and Sophomores that made huge impacts in the Catholic league in 2019 is absolutely ridiculous!!!!

Let’s see how the transfer and off season plays out.

Last edited:
Agree with the consensus.....MC and ESL #1 and 2. Not sure of the order. Both have a ton returning, including two top-flight QB's.

Reactions: Gene K.
Extremely early pick based off who I know that’s coming back I’d say MC has the the most complete team of impact returning starters on both sides of the ball led by Lynch, Odeluga, Parker, and 4 linemen on offense and Perry, Haygood, Egan and 2 other DBs on defense. Also a great P/K in Patino. This group is 32-0 so far, so I’ll give them the early edge.

Naz will have a ridiculous offense again led by McCarthy and the best returning WRs in the State, but I know they took some hits on defense and I’m not sure who they have in the pipeline.

LA will have a sick amount of returning starters on both sides....BR with Shaw, Lausch and Morehead will be extremely dangerous and Jones and some Fenwick transfer on defense....SR with Brown and Wilson and Gaughton on Defense...the amount of Juniors and Sophomores that made huge impacts in the Catholic league in 2019 is absolutely ridiculous!!!!

Lynch, in year 2 of running the system at QB along with 9 starters total back on offense, will be something to watch. Also, the frosh were absolutely loaded I expect some of those kids to be up as sophs. I saw them twice I am thinking for sure up on varsity will be the QB, RB, TE, and they had some huge size on the lines.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
LWE/MC

It’s a toss up. LWE just reloads and I think MC is entering another golden age. 8A will be very deep this year. Hoping Warren will build on last season. They are fun to watch! ESL and Naz are right there too.

Last edited:
In no particular order
LWE- when aren’t they loaded
Naz- will be trying on both sides of the ball
Warren - coach has the program dialed in
BR Rice- offense will be powerful
MC- Lynch has the program stacked for years to come
Maine South -always good
Loyola- great coach- great kids and great program- go deep at every position
Marist -QB, recievers, d- line and o line all there
Joliet Catholic - have a tom coming back
Phillips- getting better every year
Minooka- program on good shape

Reactions: Bowie50

Mount Carmel is going to Clemson teams this year.

Loyola, Br, Marist, Rita. I will be shocked if all 5 are not in semis again. If not most likely because 2 teams meet in quarters. Best class of Senior talent in the CCL that I have ever seen.

I know freshman scores don’t matter but talent wise all these teams are very close and played close games.

BR doesn’t have studs on the DL to apply pressure while rushing 4 like the last few years. I expect them to struggle on that side of the ball. I thought the defense stunk last year based on the talent on the field.
If BR had Dave lenti I wouldn’t worry.

How does BR find a clone?

Reactions: Blue Ruin

Loyola, Br, Marist, Rita. I will be shocked if all 5 are not in semis again. If not most likely because 2 teams meet in quarters. Best class of Senior talent in the CCL that I have ever seen.

I know freshman scores don’t matter but talent wise all these teams are very close and played close games.

BR doesn’t have studs on the DL to apply pressure while rushing 4 like the last few years. I expect them to struggle on that side of the ball. I thought the defense stunk last year based on the talent on the field.

I really liked that Whalen kid from BR last season, he came off the edge like a bullet. Would benefit from gaining a few LBS, but he was solid. I’d actually just have him come off the edge in the 2 point stance rather then the three or four I saw him in last year. Him and Egan from MC are very similar they just fly in and attack well.

Reactions: go_rice and Queen4

Week 4 potentially #1 at #2 MC at LA.

Warren township is key talent back with high skill level soph and freshman ready to contribute. Home of six flags. The defense will be tough again. There is another Mclaughlin (Ben) at RB.

Him and Egan

And Ben Perry, who, besides his many interceptions during the season, played a key role as an edge rusher in the playoffs, attacking the quarterbacks in the GBN and Willowbrook games, forcing one to a fumble and preventing the other from scoring at the goal line. His stealth attack on the GBN quarterback, which can be seen on hudl or MaxPreps, was beautifully designed and executed. He and Egan will be two of the brightest stars on the Caravan's defense next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: McCaravan
And Ben Perry, who, besides his many interceptions during the season, played a key role as an edge rusher in the playoffs, attacking the quarterbacks in the GBN and Willowbrook games, forcing one to a fumble and preventing the other from scoring at the goal line. His stealth attack on the GBN quarterback, which can be seen on hudl or MaxPreps, was beautifully designed and executed. He and Egan will be two of the brightest stars on the Caravan's defense next year.
Ben Perry will be the the most sought after player in that class easily.

They're so rich in talent that it's hard to single out just one. I like watching Haygood play. I like his attitude. He jawed at JJ the whole game and even gave him a little shove.
Haygood is an outstanding LB. If he was 2 inches taller every major conference would be after him. Motor never stops. He gets in the opponents heads. He’ll land at a real good program for college. I think he’s the best linebacker returning in the State next year. Perry is not only a great safety, he passes the eye test too. He’s 6’3 190 and built like a rock. Hits like a truck and is a ball hawk. He checks all the boxes. He has a Iowa State offer and should have more major conferences offering soon. Patino just tweeted he has been ranked the 43rd best kicker in the nation.

There is so much talent coming back for so many teams next year, there is going to be a lot of arguments for who #1 is but @EdgyTim I don’t think any team returns a more complete amount of talent across the board as MC will this season. Maybe a bit thin on the DL but that’s a position that’s never been an issue for them over the years. And I honestly hate saying it because in the past when MC has been the preseason 1 they ended up losing a game or two, but the overall talent back, and a undefeated, battle tested, senior to be class (32-0), I think it’s a no brainer.

In no particular order
LWE- when aren’t they loaded
Naz- will be trying on both sides of the ball
Warren - coach has the program dialed in
BR Rice- offense will be powerful
MC- Lynch has the program stacked for years to come
Maine South -always good
Loyola- great coach- great kids and great program- go deep at every position
Marist -QB, recievers, d- line and o line all there
Joliet Catholic - have a tom coming back
Phillips- getting better every year
Minooka- program on good shape
Minooka had 18 SR starters last season.

I'd pick MC. I like a steady methodical offense, a smart defense, and a team that has very few penalties or turnovers. Not flashy - just effective.

That can be said about every high school team and is said about LWE every year. Not saying they are #1 but just saying it's said every year.
I agree with you about LWE even though it may sound like I do not.
LWE lost too much to be preseason #1. From your reasoning LWE has a very good shot at being the post-season #1 and I think very few would disagree with that, but they're not preseason #1 IMO.
Being the Preseason #1 does not necessarily mean that the Preseason #1 has the Greatest chance to be the Postseason #1 team. They are simply the most loaded team with experience in the Preseason.

If that made sense? :)

ADVERTISEMENT