ADVERTISEMENT

So who should be the 2018 NBCSC Drive team?

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Interesting question.....so who stands out to you as a team that would make compelling stories to follow each week of the season?

I'm sure NBCSC will be looking for teams that haven't been a part of the series so use that as a criteria...

2009- MC
2010- Maine South
2011- Montini
2012- JCA
2013- Stevenson
2014- Providence
2015- H-F
2016 LW East
2017- Prairie Ridge

Let's hear it.

My vote is for (gulp) Naz. They are loaded with D-1 talent. They are "success factored" up 2 levels, yet they should be legitimate contenders for the 7A crown. They could be portrayed as both David and Goliath. I think that makes them a compelling story in 2018.

I would be happy with either of the two current nominations (LA and Naz)

I would very much like to get a peek behind the curtain at LA. Their Bowie nutrition bar receipe and other cool secrets.

Naz is also compelling with the jump to 7A. They have the talent - do they have the depth and the needed chip on their shoulder? (Will the Naz posse ride again?)

How about a third option to toss into the mix. Batavia. They will be defending their 7A title AND it’s the first year of the Dukane Conference. How does the new Conference unfold. How does playing larger enrollment teams like Lake Park which they haven’t ever faced before (that I can recollect) effect their title defense? Is the Dukane the tougest 8 team conference in the state top to bottom - or do they beat on each other and attrition takes its ugly toll.

LA has been approached in the past
NBCSC can try a couple of different approaches with LA

1) Use Edgy's excellent stable of Rambler posters such as Mwitt, ramblin', Bowie and Ignazio as intermediaries. Obviously destined to fail...

Or

2) Use the old tried and true Land Rover approach. NBCSC signs New Trier to be the team; Scandalous talk begins at brunch after a couple sets at the Tennis and Raquetball club, "What's wrong with Loyola", "Loyola's closing its doors" and other nefarious rumors swirl. Overpasses are rented out for signage. Loyola parents buy the 2020 Land Rover, Trevians start buying the 2021 Land Rover.
NBCSC captures the North Shore wars weekly, creative shrubbery dons the Wilmette/Winnetka lawns, Sunday mass hats start to rival Churchill Downs. It would be mayhem. No credit line would be safe

:D

Minooka!!!
After reading many of the comments above, many of the schools are private with many D-1 athletes. Minooka did not have a single D-1 athlete, didn't make the playoffs last year, had a new head coach and staff. They made it to the quarterfinals in 8A.

Minooka!!!
After reading many of the comments above, many of the schools are private with many D-1 athletes. Minooka did not have a single D-1 athlete, didn't make the playoffs last year, had a new head coach and staff. They made it to the quarterfinals in 8A.
And have the worst facilities in Chicagoland.....don't leave that one out!

I would be happy with either of the two current nominations (LA and Naz)

I would very much like to get a peek behind the curtain at LA. Their Bowie nutrition bar receipe and other cool secrets.

Naz is also compelling with the jump to 7A. They have the talent - do they have the depth and the needed chip on their shoulder? (Will the Naz posse ride again?)

How about a third option to toss into the mix. Batavia. They will be defending their 7A title AND it’s the first year of the Dukane Conference. How does the new Conference unfold. How does playing larger enrollment teams like Lake Park which they haven’t ever faced before (that I can recollect) effect their title defense? Is the Dukane the tougest 8 team conference in the state top to bottom - or do they beat on each other and attrition takes its ugly toll.
I definitely would like seeing Batavia! I think the other two options are great, but I would like to continue to see other types of programs being put in the spotlight, besides 8a schools or CCL schools. I liked PR this year because a different conference, area, and class got some time in the spot light. Would be fun to see Batavia receive some well deserved attention. What does Batavia bring back next year? Will they have a legitimate shot at winning another 7a title?

Antioch - freshman phenom QB transfer
Warren - one of the best 2020 classes in the state
East St. Louis - who wouldn't watch?
Phillips - why not?

Last edited:
It should be a city team that isn't a charter or selective enrollment school. So no Simeon, Phillips, Lane, or Solorio, etc...

Should be a city team from neighborhood high school that succeeds in the face of multiple challenges. Much more compelling than watching great teams be great.

Reactions: thecpsblog
My votes would be: ESL- Lived in the area during college and always liked it down there. Always a ton of talent and battle some of the same issues that CPS schools would typically face.

Minooka- May be biased since I have loose ties to the program, but it has been a tremendous turnaround the last two years. It's a weird environment there that is hard to explain. The kids and town are into football but for some reason it never translated to success at the Varsity level. I think a highlight of a dark horse team is more intriguing than a team that is loaded with talent and the preseason favorite. Showing them continuing to build would be a fun ride.

Reactions: Ghostoftheghost
Warren (Gurnee) is great choice. Big school, tons of experienced talent, state championship goals in 2019 and heavyweight schedule.

My suggestion is Phillips.

For news worthiness, who cares about a upper middle class predominantly white suburban team being successful - they should, if the culture is there.

But Phillips faces other obstacles - and they will reload with D1 athletes and that’s a story folks will want to follow for 14 weeks.

For news worthiness, who cares about a upper middle class predominantly white suburban team being successful - they should, if the culture is there.

But Phillips faces other obstacles - and they will reload with D1 athletes and that’s a story folks will want to follow for 14 weeks.

If they went up to 7A or 8A - that would be awesome to see the story on. But shouldn’t they walk thru their schedule in the current class they playing in?

I'd say Naz, wk1 & 2 are monstrous and will determine quickly if they can withstand the success factor to 7a . They have tons of talent, but do they have the depth???

giphy.gif

Reactions: Bowie50
Batavia would be awesome. I gotta tell you how impressed I was watching them in person. They mighta won 8A. Also, their fans could not have been cooler.

Reactions: BataviaDogs1
Naz has a great storyline. One Drive away from possibly winning the State Championship with a huge group of Underclassmen. After getting that "Taste" let's see who steps up in the program and leads them to a State Championship. If you saw the State Championship game vs. PR you saw a team loaded with superior talent but seemed undisciplined at various points throughout the game which may be expected with a bunch of Sophs on the field. Three years of Public's, time for a Private.

Reactions: lkhammer57

I'd rather see the Phillips offseason.

All.... Montini, looking forward to the Broncos slapping the cra# out of teams in 5A postseason football. Ratsy

Ratsy,

Don't know if we will make it to postseason. Need to get through the CCL Blue first.

Wassup

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT