ADVERTISEMENT

So which players would make the Team of the Decade?

Well all the other players on the list went to power 5 schools based on how good they were in high school. Also often colleges recruit the younger siblings of their current players and even given them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you are overrating him compared to the others that made the list. Or edgy is going to have an athlete position and he will be listed there
You have no idea who was recruiting him, who offered and what they had to say. None of what you said is relevant to the question at hand. That’s like saying that Mitch Trubisky was one of the best college QB’s of all time because he was drafted #2.

What about Athletes? Players that don’t fall into a specific position? Just great football players like Tommy Fuessel. I’m biased, but I know a lot of fans thought he was the most fun to watch on a Friday night. Just saying.

Reactions: Schwab54
What about Athletes? Players that don’t fall into a specific position? Just great football players like Tommy Fuessel. I’m biased, but I know a lot of fans thought he was the most fun to watch on a Friday night. Just saying.

Funny I thought he played QB?

Well all the other players on the list went to power 5 schools based on how good they were in high school. Also often colleges recruit the younger siblings of their current players and even given them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you are overrating him compared to the others that made the list. Or edgy is going to have an athlete position and he will be listed there. He is a great player but so are all those guys on that list.
Unfortunately no one gets recruited or offered based on high school performance anymore. It’s all about your measurable qualities. Some of the best high school football players I see anymore get little or no interest from big time schools.

The ones I’m adamant upon presenting - may seem homerish - but they are as follows:

WR - Jeff Thomas
WR - Westercamp

Both for on field production and sheer dominance, each in their unique ways. No other receivers set themselves apart as much.

DT - AJ Epenesa
DT - Terry Beckner Jr.

Both were a man-child - unfairly almost. And each was top three position-wise nationally coming out - not just for potential but production. You HAD TO put two or three bodies on each one.

Austin Siebert - P and K - thick-legged country boy from Millstadt - averaged a tick under 40 yards a punt from the time he was 13-17 playing varsity ball. That’s a field flipper, Dropping an insane percentage into the 20. Scored 210 points in 40 games - with many 40+ Field goals and a 51. So even with crap West teams, he’d bail them out one way or another, especially since they always started D possessions at the 20.

Antonio Johnson - DB - an island of his own. Stats hard to show when you are avoided like the plague. Has the body - 6/3 190 - that few Dbs have even in college. Certainly had to take a beating from Thomas as a youngster and it’s clear he learned lessons.

For consideration but won’t happen because of big school, norther bias - Tight End, Sam Laporta. Played small ball - Mater Dei - but he was a 6/4 230 Tight End in high school. Now at Iowa and producing as a true freshman at 243.

Iowa says:
Earned first-team all-state honors on offense as a junior and senior . . . all-area defensive back as a junior and senior . . . first-team all-conference on defense as a sophomore and also all-area on offense . . . honorable mention all-conference as a receiver as a freshman . . . Career - - Four-year football letterman as wide receiver and defensive back . . . helped prep team post four-year record of 40-6, including just two losses in final two seasons combined . . . prep team reached state semifinals as a junior . . . ranks second in Illinois high school history in receiving touchdowns (50) and third in receiving yards (3,793) . . . recorded 68 receptions for 1,457 yards and 19 touchdowns as a senior, along with 53 tackles and seven interceptions on defense . . . as a junior recorded 67 receptions for 1,387 yards and 20 touchdowns, while also collecting seven interceptions . . . three-year team captain . . . also earned four letters in basketball and two in track.

Aside from LaPorta, who I can understand why he did not get the nod, I'm happy the guys I liked have all gotten nods.

Well, after two more SWC guys are added for Kicker/Punter.

So far, four are from the SWC - I expect six total.

What are the other conference representative numbers?

BOLLINGBROOK SEEMS TO HAVE A DUDE ON EVERY LIST!!!

Aside from LaPorta, who I can understand why he did not get the nod, I'm happy the guys I liked have all gotten nods.

Well, after two more SWC guys are added for Kicker/Punter.

So far, four are from the SWC - I expect six total.

What are the other conference representative numbers?

BOLLINGBROOK SEEMS TO HAVE A DUDE ON EVERY LIST!!!

After doing a quick look, here are a couple conference totals

ESCC: 5 Total
Love Naz
Isaac JCA
Flynn Marist (2 yrs)
Weishar Marist
McCarthy Naz

CCL 5 Total
Richardson MC
J. Johnson Montini
J. Jones DLS
Westerkamp Montini
Marwede LA

The Brook had two linebackers on first team and 2 DB's listed in the others group.

Looks like ESL had 3 players. I didn't see any other schools with more than 2

Love Naz
Isaac JCA
Flynn Marist (2 yrs)
Weishar Marist
McCarthy Naz

CCL 5 Total
Richardson MC
J. Johnson Montini
J. Jones DLS
Westerkamp Montini
Marwede LA

The Brook had two linebackers on first team and 2 DB's listed in the others group.

Those Montini players never played in CCL though. SCC

Reactions: USD24

Love Naz
Isaac JCA
Flynn Marist (2 yrs)
Weishar Marist
McCarthy Naz

CCL 5 Total
Richardson MC
J. Johnson Montini
J. Jones DLS
Westerkamp Montini
Marwede LA

Do the "also rans" not count in these totals? If they do, ESL has four: Jeff, Johnson, Beckner and then Macon.

Reactions: flyerforlife
How about "top teams of the decade"???...LA '15 , LWE '19 or '17 would have to ask their fans which was best, WWS '10 just to name a few

The 2016 Flyers - 89 Blocks team. Ran the table starting with a PC then a TOUGH CBC squad, AJ’s EVILLE team and then the usual suspects:

SCHEDULE
Date Opponent Result
8/277:00p @ Providence Catholic
(W) 34 - 3
9/37:00p Christian Brothers
(W) 32 - 28
9/107:00p Alton
(W) 58 - 0

9/167:00p @ Granite City
(W) 44 - 0

9/237:00p Belleville West
(W) 52 - 0

9/307:00p @ Edwardsville
(W) 20 - 10
10/81:00p @ Belleville East
(W) 60 - 0
10/147:00p Collinsville
(W) 60 - 0
10/217:00p @ O'Fallon
(W) 46 - 14
10/292:00p Lincoln-Way West
(W) 44 - 7
11/51:00p Glenbard North
(W) 34 - 28
11/122:00p @ Willowbrook
(W) 60 - 27

11/192:00p @ Benet Academy
@ Lisle , IL (Benedictine Univ.)
(W) 20 - 0

11/264:00p Plainfield North

All.... Speaking of "clocking" only SHG in 2014 had 13 in a row (including Rochester) going into the final against the Broncos. That game ended in a 15 point win for the Cyclones. Ratsy

2014 Naz team. I believe they clocked all but 2 teams.
That’s a tough sell. Very talented team but looking back at their results it is hard to find a single signature win. They beat an average JC team by 3 points. The talent was there, just dont think the resume screams team of the decade by any stretch.

I would say that was barely a top 5 team in the state that year. I would put all the 8A semifinalists and both the 7A finalists above them.
You must not have watched football that year. Example Stevenson, who you would put ahead of Naz beat Lake forest by 14. Naz clocked them in the first half. Naz ran at will against every team they played that year. You may of had a better argument had you said Provi was the only team better than them that year.

Reactions: Gene K.
You must not have watched football that year. Example Stevenson, who you would put ahead of Naz beat Lake forest by 14. Naz clocked them in the first half. Naz ran at will against every team they played that year. You may of had a better argument had you said Provi was the only team better than them that year.

And by running at will you mean they averaged 3.9 yards a carry in the championship game against Lemont. They were very good but honestly I would have picked Provi, CG and Stevenson to beat them that year.

636184376542060761-17.EastStLouis.Bradley-Leeb.AssociatedPressJPG.JPG

USA Today had the 2016 Flyers at 17. 14-0 - 7A state champion.

What's the highest an IL team has earned this past decade? This may be it.

And by running at will you mean they averaged 3.9 yards a carry in the championship game against Lemont. They were very good but honestly I would have picked Provi, CG and Stevenson to beat them that year.
right. did you also know that 12 starters were hospitalized that week for the flu until Friday night. And yes Naz held the ball all but 6 minutes in the second half at one time I think running the ball 20 something times in a row just bleeding the entire 3rd quarter. CG and Stevenson would not have beat that team. Provi maybe with Boykin. Boykin vs Love would have been fun to watch.

right. did you also know that 12 starters were hospitalized that week for the flu until Friday night. And yes Naz held the ball all but 6 minutes in the second half at one time I think running the ball 20 something times in a row just bleeding the entire 3rd quarter. CG and Stevenson would not have beat that team. Provi maybe with Boykin. Boykin vs Love would have been fun to watch.

You said “they ran at will every game,” not every game but the game they were sick. If they were really sick that week they wouldn’t have beaten any of those teams then.

You said “they ran at will every game,” not every game but the game they were sick. If they were really sick that week they wouldn’t have beaten any of those teams then.
The ihsa counts sack yards against rushing. But i guess good teams shouldn't get sacked either.

Seems to me there is no love for the Offensive Linemen that allow all of these guys to pass and run.

2 for your consideration
Brian Allen - Hinsdale Central
Michael Owens - Nazareth Academy

Absolutely true. That Allen kid and his brothers could make for an All-time line. Take the family pets to fill in any vacancies.

I was only referencing this thread.

Reactions: USD24
I would say that was barely a top 5 team in the state that year. I would put all the 8A semifinalists and both the 7A finalists above them.
Hahahahahaha

I don’t remember for sure and I’m not going to look but I’ll bet any amount of money GBW was a semi finalist that year.

Naz had the worst flu outbreak their doctor had ever seen. They had 13 kids leave for Champaign directly from the Hospital. Had IV’s in the morning of the game. Naz had to take 2 buses down (a healthy bus and a sick bus, room assignments had to be changed to put sick kids with sick kids. The outbreak hit another group of “healthy kids” and coaches the night before and morning of. It was a minor miracle that the medical staff had them ready to play. Naz of course won and came home to celebrate but the pep rally had to be postponed at school as the outbreak was so bad they cancelled 3 days of school.

You may view their 26-7 victory over Flynn Nagel as a negative, I will contend the exact opposite.

Edit: responded to the wrong person, you get it.

Reactions: mchsalumni
Naz had the worst flu outbreak their doctor had ever seen. They had 13 kids leave for Champaign directly from the Hospital. Had IV’s in the morning of the game. Naz had to take 2 buses down (a healthy bus and a sick bus, room assignments had to be changed to put sick kids with sick kids. The outbreak hit another group of “healthy kids” and coaches the night before and morning of. It was a minor miracle that the medical staff had them ready to play. Naz of course won and came home to celebrate but the pep rally had to be postponed at school as the outbreak was so bad they cancelled 3 days of school.

You may view their 26-7 victory over Flynn Nagel as a negative, I will contend the exact opposite.

So now that you convinced me they were sick, convince me 3.9 yards a carry is running at will? The whole point of my response was to show they didn’t run at will like was claimed, am I wrong?

So now that you convinced me they were sick, convince me 3.9 yards a carry is running at will? The whole point of my response was to show they didn’t run at will like was claimed, am I wrong?
I have to assume you’re smart enough to connect the dots yourself.

.... and one would have thought that with the a@@handing Mount Carmel put on their boys this year that the bravado would be tempered a bit......

Last edited:
Reactions: ClownBaby
The outbreak hit another group of “healthy kids” and coaches the night before and morning of. It was a minor miracle that the medical staff had them ready to play.
Wow. I can't believe the Naz kids put the entire Lemont football team and the refs on the field at risk. IHSA investigation followed by an abdicated title?! :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT