ADVERTISEMENT

So what are some of the best matchups you'd want to see?

Seems like Montini and Naz is a popular one here....what over potential monster games would you love to see sometime?
Loyola and New Trier is one I would like to see happen on a regular basis
Lyons and Naz could be a great one
Montini vs Benet

Reactions: Gene K.
Seems like Montini and Naz is a popular one here....what over potential monster games would you love to see sometime?
To me that game has lost its luster. If it happened now it just wouldn't be the same as it would have the last 5 years.

JCA vs GBW - King of the Hill Bowl
LA vs LWE - two similar programs/styles of play
I'll also 2nd the ESL vs H-F game
Phillips vs Naz

Oh my. Where do I start?

LA vs NT, MS and St. X (Cincy)
Naz vs LT and Fenwick
Fenwick vs OPRF
Montini vs GBW
IC vs York
Phillips vs ESL, Rochester and Montini
ESL vs Peoria
Carmel vs Libertyville
BR vs. Richards, Notre Dame
MC vs HF
Marist vs LWE and Sandburg
Barrington vs Hinsdale Central
Benet vs PC
Mac vs Herscher
SHG vs PND and Peoria

Last edited:
GBN vs GBW... Seem to be actively avoiding each other.

Benet vs Fenwick
The Brook vs The Southland Conference

GBN vs GBW... Seem to be actively avoiding each other.

Benet vs Fenwick
The Brook vs The Southland Conference
Concerning your last listing, the Bolingbrook enrollment is triple that of each of the smallest 4 schools in that league. Maybe an all-star team comprised of 3 of them together would represent a fair match?

Concerning your last listing, the Bolingbrook enrollment is triple that of each of the smallest 4 schools in that league. Maybe an all-star team comprised of 3 of them together would represent a fair match?
Not sure of the significance of size.

Yorkville v. Oswego
JCA v. LW East
Minooka v. Morris

Not sure of the draw of that one. I would say LWE v PC before LWE v JC. I like the other two. From a JC standpoint, I would like to see them go back to playing MC to open the season.

Not sure of the draw of that one. I would say LWE v PC before LWE v JC. I like the other two. From a JC standpoint, I would like to see them go back to playing MC to open the season.
LWE opened with Providence for 5 seasons (2005-2009) going 5-0 vs the Celts in that span.

Why would you rather play MC than LW East?
I get the impression that for some reason JCA has always steered clear of the Griffins, much like Ohio State and Notre Dame.
I think it would be a good game that could develop into a nice local rivalry.

Why would you rather play MC than LW East?
I get the impression that for some reason JCA has always steered clear of the Griffins, much like Ohio State and Notre Dame.
I think it would be a good game that could develop into a nice local rivalry.

Its just more of a traditional rivalry. Similar schools, a lot of history in the series. I don't think JCA has avoided LWE, just don't think it has ever been on the radar.

LWE opened with Providence for 5 seasons (2005-2009) going 5-0 vs the Celts in that span.
I am aware of this, and still think it is a good local matchup. Was always a big game for the community when they played.

Its just more of a traditional rivalry. Similar schools, a lot of history in the series. I don't think JCA has avoided LWE, just don't think it has ever been on the radar.

Agreed. There are just too many great games in that series to not have it be near the top of a "must see" list.

Don't get me wrong, LWE-JC would be a fun game, but so would a lot of other games. Other than being two good programs, there is no real geographic or historic reason to put it up on the list.

I think Morris, PC, and Bolingbrook are better local options because of proximity and kids knowing each other (plus history in those series). Lockport, Joliet West, and Minooka also intrigue me. Lincoln-Way West could be a nice rivalry option as well as they have already played some playoff games against each other.

Reactions: USD24
In 2018 you will get to see couple of good match ups one new and one renewal of a previous series.

Naperville Central vs LWE
Naperville Central vs Cary Grove

MC Vs. JCA should always be played week 1. 2 of the winningest programs in IL loaded with history, both Carmelite schools, brown and white vs. brown and white, was always a great game to watch!

Reactions: USD24 and Gene K.
Montini vs Grand Rapids West Catholic, MI (Battle of recent multiple state champs and Montini Alum Head Coaches)

Prairie Ridge vs Loyola

Waubonsie vs SHG

IC vs Belleville Althoff

Mt. Carmel vs Cincinnati Moeller (Why not, let's do it again)

Rochester vs Rockhurst Catholic, Missouri

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
Would love to see much more ESCC/CCL matchups. They cross paths occasionally, but they seem to be at Soldier Field. I would love to see attempts to schedule home and homes.

ND/BR
Montini/Benet
Montini/Naz
LA/Marist
MC/Marist
SP/Fenwick

Hell, I personally wouldn't mind a CMC type deal again

Montini vs Grand Rapids West Catholic, MI (Battle of recent multiple state champs and Montini Alum Head Coaches)

Prairie Ridge vs Loyola

Waubonsie vs SHG

IC vs Belleville Althoff

Mt. Carmel vs Cincinnati Moeller (Why not, let's do it again)

Rochester vs Rockhurst Catholic, Missouri

I have the MC Moeller game on DVD

Reactions: Wassup13
Would love to see much more ESCC/CCL matchups. They cross paths occasionally, but they seem to be at Soldier Field. I would love to see attempts to schedule home and homes.

ND/BR
Montini/Benet
Montini/Naz
LA/Marist
MC/Marist
SP/Fenwick

Hell, I personally wouldn't mind a CMC type deal again

If I may offer a friendly amendment, how about matching up schools from each conference according to coed or boys schools? For instance, rather than Fenwick vs Pat's, how about Fenwick vs Naz? Pat's and Rice could have a LaSallian vs. Irish Christian Brother battle of the boys schools. ND and MC could also face each other. I also like PC vs. Benet, JCA, and maybe even Viator. Loyola vs Carmel is a game worthy of repeating.

DLS vs St. Viator might not be an instant classic, but it would match two coed schools of roughly the same size. Same could be said for SICP and Marian Catholic.

Batavia, Geneva, St Charles North, St Charles East

Versus

Neuqua, Waubonsie, Naperville North, Naperville Central.

In rotating order each year as a non con game. When the D204's were in the Upstate - they didn't play many River teams at least in recent years and would be fun to see some of those matchups that have never happened or haven't happened in a long time

Not sure of the significance of size.

All things being equal(I'm not talking about private schools here), enrollment plays a major factor in competitiveness. To imply it doesn't is head-scratching. Yes, schools can overcome enrollment disparities, but generally speaking, a school that is much larger than another will likely have more talent & be more likely to win. Factors such as coaching, strong/lean classes, socioeconomics, etc can play a role in widening or closing talent gaps, but the bottom line is, more kids will likely result in more talent.

This idea came up in the Lake Zurich thread as well, where one poster indicated that when Lake Zurich played Lakes a few years back, Lakes was not competitive, so the poster implied they weren't sure Coach Mertens could hack it at Lake Zurich. Lake Zurich has ~800 more kids than Lakes. That means Lake Zurich had 400 more boys than Lakes. That means Lake Zurich had ~300 more seniors, juniors, & sophomores to field a team with than Lakes did.

Again, there are cases where disparities in enrollment can be overcome, but those are the exception & not the rule. Enrollment matters.

If I may offer a friendly amendment, how about matching up schools from each conference according to coed or boys schools? For instance, rather than Fenwick vs Pat's, how about Fenwick vs Naz? Pat's and Rice could have a LaSallian vs. Irish Christian Brother battle of the boys schools. ND and MC could also face each other. I also like PC vs. Benet, JCA, and maybe even Viator. Loyola vs Carmel is a game worthy of repeating.

DLS vs St. Viator might not be an instant classic, but it would match two coed schools of roughly the same size. Same could be said for SICP and Marian Catholic.
Yes Yes YEs

Batavia, Geneva, St Charles North, St Charles East

Versus

Neuqua, Waubonsie, Naperville North, Naperville Central.

In rotating order each year as a non con game. When the D204's were in the Upstate - they didn't play many River teams at least in recent years and would be fun to see some of those matchups that have never happened or haven't happened in a long time

Played NC two years ago. WV, NV, or NN may be a non-con sooner than later.

Batavia vs Kaneland is a match-up that would be good for the area. But will never happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT