ADVERTISEMENT

So do people really blame...

The IHSA for all of this going on?

Personally...the more this goes on the more and more I'm convinced they are pawns in all of this....or am I off base?
Edgy they are pawns unfortunately, I’m sure they want to play like the majority of this. Sadly I was able to stream the Shrine Bowl from Nebraska today and actually watch a game. Not sure when I will be able to do that here. Fans were in every other row and spaced out. No real point but that other states are starting to figure it out

Reactions: Gene K.
The IHSA for all of this going on?
Personally...the more this goes on the more and more I'm convinced they are pawns in all of this....or am I off base?
I think you are on point. The IHSA is catching flak from all sides and is not tooled to easily make a decision of this magnitude. Hell, leaders of all kinds of institutions from the world to local levels are struggling mightily with policies based on conflicting and constantly-changing information. The IHSA is becoming an easy reachable target even though they have been subjecting themselves almost weekly of late to interview questions.

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
It’s a sticky situation but the IHSA’s hands are tied. From everyone I’ve dealt with and talked to at the IHSA all want the seasons to be played. The financial impact of losing football and other sports that generate revenue is huge not to mention what they lose from losing basketball and spring sports.

I am still in the corner that says we will have a start to the seasons. No clue if it will finish but it will start IMO

Reactions: McCaravan
My assumption is no contact until August 10th. If numbers do not shoot up or if teams do not have cases then my hope is on August 10 they would allow contact. That would give teams 3 full weeks before game 1

Reactions: McCaravan
My assumption is no contact until August 10th. If numbers do not shoot up or if teams do not have cases then my hope is on August 10 they would allow contact. That would give teams 3 full weeks before game 1

I think you’re right. I hope you’re right

Relating to how ihsa makes this decision with cases, it may come down to parents. As far as I know athletes aren't required to be tested right? So are parents going to have kids be tested and then tell the school? Will parents rat on each other if they know a kid is positive? Is the health department required to let the school know?

If nobody gets tested...will there be a positive case?

My assumption is if contact starts, JB will shut us down again after the first positive test at a school is reported. Like he did last week.

Relating to how ihsa makes this decision with cases, it may come down to parents. As far as I know athletes aren't required to be tested right? So are parents going to have kids be tested and then tell the school? Will parents rat on each other if they know a kid is positive? Is the health department required to let the school know?

If nobody gets tested...will there be a positive case?

So you're saying people will choose not to go get tested and just opt for the minimum 14 day quarantine when symptoms arise? Doesnt make much sense when a physician could get you back on the field faster after two negative tests.

We know that 99.9999% of healthy teenagers, if they show symptoms, may only have it for a day or two according to CDC. So my thought is, could we see some athletes who may have some symptoms be out for a day or two, but not get tested, then return right away? Who is forcing them to get tested or quarantine for 14 days without a test? You can't force them to quarantine for 14 days if they have a fever one day, but don't get tested. It may fall on parents.

We know that 99.9999% of healthy teenagers, if they show symptoms, may only have it for a day or two according to CDC. So my thought is, could we see some athletes who may have some symptoms be out for a day or two, but not get tested, then return right away? Who is forcing them to get tested or quarantine for 14 days without a test? You can't force them to quarantine for 14 days if they have a fever one day, but don't get tested. It may fall on parents.
Per school district and ISBE guidelines, presentation of symptoms is an immediate quarantine pending test (2 negative results separated by 24 hours) or 14 days. Also quarantined in that situation are any athletes contact traced to the symptomatic athletes via mandated grouping and daily attendance. Failure to follow those protocols are a pretty significant offense in the eyes of the school district administration. Oh yeah, and the teachers and coaches presenting symptoms or a positive test could trigger player quarantine if masking and social distancing weren’t enforced.
Out for a day or two live ps somewhere in your fantasy land.

Reactions: au6890
Per school district and ISBE guidelines, presentation of symptoms is an immediate quarantine pending test (2 negative results separated by 24 hours) or 14 days. Also quarantined in that situation are any athletes contact traced to the symptomatic athletes via mandated grouping and daily attendance. Failure to follow those protocols are a pretty significant offense in the eyes of the school district administration. Oh yeah, and the teachers and coaches presenting symptoms or a positive test could trigger player quarantine if masking and social distancing weren’t enforced.
Out for a day or two live ps somewhere in your fantasy land.
I don't see that anywhere on the ihsa return to play guidelines. https://www.ihsa.org/default.asp

It just says if they show symptoms they should be go to a physician to get cleared. Nothing about quarantine, 2 negative tests, etc. So my thoughts still remain...lot is gray area with this

I have seen the 2 negative test asked for in a lot of programs that are currently running for employees or participants. IHSA/DCEO might not specify that but the individual schools may.

I don't see that anywhere on the ihsa return to play guidelines. https://www.ihsa.org/default.asp

It just says if they show symptoms they should be go to a physician to get cleared. Nothing about quarantine, 2 negative tests, etc. So my thoughts still remain...lot is gray area with this

No gray area in public school districts. Black and white...
Your example of a fever for one day will require a physicians release to return or a 14 day quarantine and will trigger contact tracing by the school/athletic department. Research the Illinois State Board of Education protocols.

They should probably put that in the IHSA guidelines then since it isn't.. I mean, I've NEVER heard of a kid getting a "doctor's note" (wink wink) the next day to get back at school or play a sport before.

Pretty sure if the high school coaching profession adheres to a wink wink agreement during this particular time, all is lost and high school football sadly doesn’t really matter anymore at that point. Almost positive based on what I hear from principals and athletic directors a wink wink will get you fired. Personally, with a mortgage and a family to feed, i’m going to go ahead with the testing and quarantine policy. You can opt for facial expressions if you’d like. Though they may not pick up on all non-verbals. You know...with the mask and all.

Reactions: Zebra
Still not sure you're getting my point, my fault. If a kid brings a doctor's note to the school, that's it. The school and coach isn't contacting the doctor to verify. That's illegal per HIPAA. So these kids and parents can easily get a doctor note to have them return to play. How they get that note of course could be very unethical. But if a kid next week for example shows up to camp, is sent home because he has a 100.9 fever, can easily return the next day with a doctor note saying he can return. No 14 days, no mandated test, nothing at all because the IHSA phase 4 guidelines say all the kid has to do is go to his doctor and return with a note clearing. When that note shows up the next day, the coach and school can't contact the doctor and demand proof it is real or not. We may see a lot of that.

Still not sure you're getting my point, my fault. If a kid brings a doctor's note to the school, that's it. The school and coach isn't contacting the doctor to verify. That's illegal per HIPAA. So these kids and parents can easily get a doctor note to have them return to play. How they get that note of course could be very unethical. But if a kid next week for example shows up to camp, is sent home because he has a 100.9 fever, can easily return the next day with a doctor note saying he can return. No 14 days, no mandated test, nothing at all because the IHSA phase 4 guidelines say all the kid has to do is go to his doctor and return with a note clearing. When that note shows up the next day, the coach and school can't contact the doctor and demand proof it is real or not. We may see a lot of that.
Assuming your example only presents a fever on one single day, that’ll still be a lot of doctor’s notes because while the one kid who brought the note in, the 2nd and 3rd individuals who present a fever will trigger a shut down of activity and contact tracing by the schools admin and medical professionals. Hopefully the doctor has his notepad ready for about 30 or 40 notes. Pretty sure the athletic trainers will communicate trends in symptoms or are trainers not a part of your fantasyland?
This school year will be a little more complicated than winks and doctors notes.

Assuming your example only presents a fever on one single day, that’ll still be a lot of doctor’s notes because while the one kid who brought the note in, the 2nd and 3rd individuals who present a fever will trigger a shut down of activity and contact tracing by the schools admin and medical professionals. Hopefully the doctor has his notepad ready for about 30 or 40 notes. Pretty sure the athletic trainers will communicate trends in symptoms or are trainers not a part of your fantasyland?
This school year will be a little more complicated than winks and doctors notes.
30 to 40 notes? Wait are saying you think teenagers will infect many people with covid? You've been paying attention right? Why are mentioning fantasy land? I'm strictly going off of what is in the IHSA document verbatim. And what will likely happen unless it includes language that you are referring to.

30 to 40 notes? Wait are saying you think teenagers will infect many people with covid? You've been paying attention right? Why are mentioning fantasy land? I'm strictly going off of what is in the IHSA document verbatim. And what will likely happen unless it includes language that you are referring to.
You’re also assuming all players will be equally insured and have access to the necessary doctor in time to be released for competition, I did not mention INFECTION at all. This is about presentation of symptoms resulting in testing or quarantine. You’re position that one doctor’s note ends it is wrong. When symptoms are documented contact tracing begins. Any further presentation of symptoms from that group results in a shut down until it can be proven that COVID was not the cause. It’s a way more complex sequence of events than you truly understand or are willing to admit.
So I’ll ask my original question again. Between players and coaches, how many programs in the state will not have one single positive case that results in significant loss of activity due to investigation or quarantine?
Two more questions: How many programs at one time? What is the responsibility of teams to disclose positive infection results to their opponents in consideration of HIPPA laws?

Reactions: au6890
Point to me in the IHSA rules that anything further from a doctor note is needed. Not in ISBE return to school guidelines, the IHSA phase 4 return to play. They are not requiring any tracing whatsoever. They are not forcing a kid to go get tested. It does not state anywhere that a symptom begins a process of contact tracing. Maybe you are referring to a part of the ISBE return plan once in person learning begins. We're talking about the ihsa phase 4 return to play document.

There will not be likely any programs that don't have at least one positive case (that's again though if they decide to get tested or not). Which is why I hope the smart people realize you just have to play. If one case shuts it all down, then no sports for 20-21 year, 21-22 year, 22-23 year and so on.

You're last question is a very good one. I reckon it won't fall on the team or school, it will be responsibility of the local health department.

Well a big problem is every common illness is a symptom of Covid. This will lead to a lot of doctor's office visits.

Fever or chills
Cough
Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
Fatigue
Muscle or body aches
Headache
New loss of taste or smell
Sore throat
Congestion or runny nose
Nausea or vomiting
Diarrhea

Point to me in the IHSA rules that anything further from a doctor note is needed. Not in ISBE return to school guidelines, the IHSA phase 4 return to play. They are not requiring any tracing whatsoever. They are not forcing a kid to go get tested. It does not state anywhere that a symptom begins a process of contact tracing. Maybe you are referring to a part of the ISBE return plan once in person learning begins. We're talking about the ihsa phase 4 return to play document.

There will not be likely any programs that don't have at least one positive case (that's again though if they decide to get tested or not). Which is why I hope the smart people realize you just have to play. If one case shuts it all down, then no sports for 20-21 year, 21-22 year, 22-23 year and so on.

You're last question is a very good one. I reckon it won't fall on the team or school, it will be responsibility of the local health department.
I'll just set this right here...

https://www.journal-topics.com/arti...9-test-closes-glenbrook-south-athletic-camps/

Glenview had a rough week. Athletic camps, park district pool and high school hockey club all shutdown with positives. Rumor has it a large party was the culprit

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT