ADVERTISEMENT

Simeon Sues

To second this... As coaches, you have to be aware of who is on your sideline at all times. You are responsible for them. I've been in games where the head coach has asked the AD who a person is to make sure they belong on the sidelines. Why would you want someone like this clown on your sideline? Leads me to believe he was a regular on the sideline and Naz knew all about it.
The Nazareth grassy knoll !!!

He assigns some of my friends their youth FB games... at least he did as of 2016. They say he’s a maniac and incredibly immature. Today, one guy told me he is the worst person he has ever encountered in sports, be it a ref, coach, player, or parent.

He has his hands in a lot of stuff. He “pays” the referees for Park Ridge park district basketball. He doesn’t assign them, or even know them. Not sure why PR has him handle the money. And he takes an insurance fee from every referee, something I have never encountered in 21 years of officiating.

As a referee myself, I can’t take off my uniform fast enough when my games end. I wear a full t-shirt under my ref jersey specifically for the purpose of taking the stripes off, even if I’m at girls games or youth games. Why somebody would ever wear the stripes at field level when they aren’t working is baffling to me.

Dude your reaching... Naz sanctioned for a comment made on FB by a parent/ref is ridiculous. Once again security let that person on the field not Naz. He had zero influence on the game or any poor call that was made. Like the 2-3 pass interference calls against Naz on that same drive. Ultimately your saying the ref's were on the take... The thing is it would be believable it the calls were one sided but they weren't. Move on...

Again, let me explain. S-L-O-W-L-Y.

It doesn't matter about the trash talking on Twitter, Facebook or if the guy took out a billboard across the street from Simeon.

It doesn't matter about penalties, non penalties etc.

What does matter is who is on your sideline. Not how they got there, but who didn't get them removed. A team is responsible for their sideline. That is the issue the IHSA is going to focus on and rightfully so.

I wasn't there, but I'll bet my last dollar that there were plenty of Naz administrators on the sideline.

And...for the record...my name is not dude.

Has no business on sidelines in Ref outfit. His behavior is irreplaceable and Naz should not have allowed it. They control sideline security for home games at their own facility.

I haven’t the slightest idea what type of young man this Mercado’s kid is, but after reading more of the messages he posted on Facebook, I truly feel sorry for this young man. It is blatantly obvious that there is something really wrong with this guy. The more I read about this, the more surreal it becomes.

It doesn't matter about the trash talking on Twitter, Facebook or if the guy took out a billboard across the street from Simeon.

What does matter is who is on your sideline. Not how they got there, but who didn't get them removed. A team is responsible for their sideline. That is the issue the IHSA is going to focus on and rightfully so.

I wasn't there, but I'll bet my last dollar that there were plenty of Naz administrators on the sideline.

If there was a known Simeon parent standing on the Naz sidelines what would Irish LB have done? Rhetorical question.

Chill bro

I haven’t the slightest idea what type of young man this Mercado’s kid is, but after reading more of the messages he posted on Facebook, I truly feel sorry for this young man. It is blatantly obvious that there is something really wrong with this guy. The more I read about this, the more surreal it becomes.
He's a fantastic and bright kid. Haven't met the stepdad but the player is not of his ilk.

You can explain slowly or even fast. It doesn't matter security was provided by whoever for the event and BTW I was there so I know first hand. But I'm glad you know what ISHA is going to focus on.

Maybe someone can help me with this... On the side line how far can a coach go down?

If you know Gately it could have been an assistant coach or anyone that had on something Naz. They don’t operate based on rank. Either you look like you belong or you don’t. If you don’t look like you belong, they get somewhat aggressive at times. No need to get sensitive as every place don’t operate the same way.

In the end good luck on Saturday
In the video, he's clear as day on the sidelines in his stripes. If he left the jacket on I could give him the benefit of the doubt.

That;s not him.

What does matter is who is on your sideline. Not how they got there, but who didn't get them removed. A team is responsible for their sideline.
A team isn’t nessicarily responsible for who ends up on their sideline outside the team box, especially at a visiting establishment. That’s all on game management. I imagine most times they have no idea who is standing down on the 10yd line. That being said I’m sure people from Naz who were allowed to be there recognized him and should have recommended he leave. But the responsibility is not on them, that’s the management at the site(usually the AD). I’ve had games where a parent with a camera and an opinion have made their way to the sidelines and all we do is tell the AD and they are back to where they belong

People just can't accept a loss any longer with any degree of good sportmanship. Why is the Simeon booster club filing the lawsuit anyway? They were not injured or harmed in any way . I suspect this will get tossed because they lack standing in the case. The bottom line is Simeon lost the game and all the lawsuits in the world can't change that fact.

Reactions: juschill

To add to that, it's "you're", not "your".

Totally disagree you are always responsible for the actions of your team and fans regardless of game location. By saying it’s not my job you get incidents like this and you tarnish what otherwise was a great win for Naz.

That's pretty hard to enforce at an event with tickets sold to the general public. Playoff games make it even tougher with the addition of people attending who have no affiliation with either school. Really the only option a visiting team has is to notify security if there is a visible problem.

He assigns some of my friends their youth FB games... at least he did as of 2016. They say he’s a maniac and incredibly immature. Today, one guy told me he is the worst person he has ever encountered in sports, be it a ref, coach, player, or parent.

He has his hands in a lot of stuff. He “pays” the referees for Park Ridge park district basketball. He doesn’t assign them, or even know them. Not sure why PR has him handle the money. And he takes an insurance fee from every referee, something I have never encountered in 21 years of officiating.

As a referee myself, I can’t take off my uniform fast enough when my games end. I wear a full t-shirt under my ref jersey specifically for the purpose of taking the stripes off, even if I’m at girls games or youth games. Why somebody would ever wear the stripes at field level when they aren’t working is baffling to me.
Please explain this “insurance fee.”

Reactions: ignazio
It sounds like, "It would be just terrible if someone were to, I don't know, bash in your windows while you were drivin'. Can't be too careful I. This neighborhood. You're better off having "protection."

So was that done?
It was at Gately so Simeon would have controlled security. What I don't understand was if someone started "to put the pieces together as the game went on", then why didn't someone from the Simeon side question his presence and ask him or have security ask him to leave? I don't have much faith in the "conferring with the referees" indictment, did anyone that attended see him do that during the game?

Although I certainly wouldn't have worn my uniform, if he had the jacket on, didn't cause a commotion on the field and didn't interrupt the game I don't see how the claim of influencing the game can hold up and an indictment be made against Naz. From what I've listened to and been told most of the controversial calls were snap decisions that no one from the sideline could have influenced.

As for Naz's take on the subject, they're going to ignore this to prepare for the state title game, and I'm sure they have been advised not to comment on this from a legal standpoint until the matter has been settled.

I have no idea Stripes. I never heard of such a thing. I don’t remember the explanation from the first year I worked that league They pay us $33 a game for grammar school hoops. My guess is we are technically getting $35, and he is taking $2 per game plus this $15 “insurance”. It’s peaceful ball, so I’m not complaining. It’s just odd, because he doesn’t even assign us. As far as I can tell, he does none of the “work” administering the referees.

Reactions: stripes13
I have no idea Stripes. I never heard of such a thing. I don’t remember the explanation from the first year I worked that league They pay us $33 a game for grammar school hoops. My guess is we are technically getting $35, and he is taking $2 per game plus this $15 “insurance”. It’s peaceful ball, so I’m not complaining. It’s just odd, because he doesn’t even assign us. As far as I can tell, he does none of the “work” administering the referees.

If you need a guy to write checks, my handwriting's pretty good and I'll do it for $1/check. ;)

Maybe the Simeon parents should take the lesson from Simeon stud WR Alante Brown - “I want Nazareth to finish the season and get a chance to win a state championship. They beat us and they deserve it. I want the officiating crow and the adults to face punishment.”

Clearly this young man has his head on straight and a very bright future at Michigan St awaits.

What occurred prior to the game and after on social media on now the lawsuit takes away from a great football game played by both teams. Now, the Naz players and coaches, need to focus on the upcoming championship game and forget all the nonsense that played out previously. Control what you can control and that is getting ready for SCN. The rest is water over the bridge as far as the Naz players and coaches should be concerned.

Agree with Bowie that this is sending the wrong message to the Simeon players who despite playing their hearts out lost the game IMO (after watching the tapes) due to poor coaching. The idiot donning his ref uniform should be barred from any type of sports related officiating. And hopefully gets his comeuppance when he has to spend time answering depositions prior to any court appearance if it comes to that level.

I agree with all you/bowie/ all saying, the only thing coming out of this. is the same that came from fenwick, jrw allstars little league, and the elections.
these people believe now that you can simply sue your way to victory. actually, pretty pathetic coming from school boards, athletic associations, and adults around the country to show our youth. you do not have to earn anything as long as you have an attorney available.

Reactions: Gene K.
I agree with all you/bowie/ all saying, the only thing coming out of this. is the same that came from fenwick, jrw allstars little league, and the elections.
these people believe now that you can simply sue your way to victory. actually, pretty pathetic coming from school boards, athletic associations, and adults around the country to show our youth. you do not have to earn anything as long as you have an attorney available.

Dogz - excellent point. In the days of entitlement sports are being ruined because winning trumps all. Kids that are transferring to 2-3 different schools for the “best fit.” It’s a joke.

Maybe the Simeon parents should take the lesson from Simeon stud WR Alante Brown - “I want Nazareth to finish the season and get a chance to win a state championship. They beat us and they deserve it. I want the officiating crow and the adults to face punishment.”

Clearly this young man has his head on straight and a very bright future at Michigan St awaits.
A future NFL talent if they get him in the right spot.

Reactions: Gene K.
Game Administration (Simeon and CPSin this case) is responsible for a team's sideline outside of the team box. If a guy shows up dressed and says he's an official he will be allowed on the field. Wasn't the MC game after the Simeon game? If he arrives in uniform and says he is there for the MC game every person alive would allow him onto the field. It happens weekly on the games I work if I arrive early and watch the lower level game.

The CPS will also hire the chain crew and those guys are officials and wear their pants with IHSA black jackets, not stripes.

There is no shortage of youth basketball officials as that can be a nice full time gig.

The insurance "fee" is BS and a shake down of the guys working for him. Assignors make great money usually a couple bucks a game for grammar school games. That adds up quickly.

This guy is plain and simple a clown and I feel bad for his kid.

That crew is working the 8A final by the way.

Reactions: Gene K. and NazDad
Was there any visible problem?

The visible problem was a random parent hanging out on the sideline. In the Suntimes photo he is standing next to two guys in Naz jackets so I can only assume they were with the school and did nothing about it.

Reactions: SWsuburbs4
ADVERTISEMENT