ADVERTISEMENT

Seniors

colin2229

Jul 23, 2005
Saw that a senior isn’t going to play in the spring but rather enroll at a D1 school early to go through spring ball.

Seems like with all that is going on - seniors should stay. Chances of enrolling early having more benefits then playing your senior year in the spring doesn’t add up.

play your senior year.

Thoughts?

Saw that a senior isn’t going to play in the spring but rather enroll at a D1 school early to go through spring ball.

Seems like with all that is going on - seniors should stay. Chances of enrolling early having more benefits then playing your senior year in the spring doesn’t add up.

play your senior year.

Thoughts?
Early enrollment at a D1 school and participating in their spring program on campus is going to be more beneficial to the players future than a spring high school season. It sucks that they kids have to make a choice but concerning their long term development as a player it is not even close.

Early enrollment at a D1 school and participating in their spring program on campus is going to be more beneficial to the players future than a spring high school season. It sucks that they kids have to make a choice but concerning their long term development as a player it is not even close.

I disagree. As of now the last time a kid has played football is in November of 19. They haven’t really lifted weights or trained consistently since March. They are now going to go compete with kids that have played some form of a season and have been lifting all year. Most kids that leave early will look a hot mess and push themselves in a deeper hole. First impressions are everything! Be smart!

Depends on the school (most catholic schools don’t accommodate for a December graduation). If you’re already committed then I would say being on campus and getting acclimated to the playbook/coaches/training etc is probably more important to the college coaches. Assuming NCAA resumes normal fall schedule in 2021, a spring senior year seems too close to reporting dates for college ball.

If you’re offered an early enrollment spot You’re at the top of the heap. Hard to say no to that one. Doesn’t mean you’re going to play freshmen year. But certainly gives you a leg upon academics and training.

If you’re offered an early enrollment spot You’re at the top of the heap. Hard to say no to that one. Doesn’t mean you’re going to play freshmen year. But certainly gives you a leg upon academics and training.

That doesn't mean anything. Schools take any kid who signs that can go early if possible.

Reactions: LHSTigers94
The college coaches know what the kids are going through. Only the 5 star/4 star kids get that treatment of going that early. They will get that training and nutrition when they get there.

Colleges take ANY kid that can enroll early. 5 star or no stars. There is no prestige in going to school early. It’s just something people do. I have seen some go early and not touch the field while others on the same team arrive in June and play. It’s an individual preference by the kid and their family. Not the college coaches.

Colleges take ANY kid that can enroll early. 5 star or no stars. There is no prestige in going to school early. It’s just something people do. I have seen some go early and not touch the field while others on the same team arrive in June and play. It’s an individual preference by the kid and their family. Not the college coaches.
Depends on who is paying for it.

Reactions: Laurarube
The college coaches know what the kids are going through. Only the 5 star/4 star kids get that treatment of going that early. They will get that training and nutrition when they get there.

The kid I saw is leaving early for a MAC school. If you leave early to go the the POWER 5 and are a 5 ⭐️ that makes since.

But to go early and miss your senior year for the MAC is pointless (unless someone proves otherwise). If you are going to the MAC you are traditionally a couple years away from playing. MAC doesn’t get freshman who play year one. They are traditionally 1⭐️ Or no star developmental kids.

I would love to see a study on percent of kids who enroll early and playing time as frosh. My guess is most still redshirt and some do not even make it to fall camp.

I would love to see a study on percent of kids who enroll early and playing time as frosh. My guess is most still redshirt and some do not even make it to fall camp.

I agree that the percentage is very low. Giving this situation I think the percentage will be worse.

The kid I saw is leaving early for a MAC school. If you leave early to go the the POWER 5 and are a 5 ⭐️ that makes since.

But to go early and miss your senior year for the MAC is pointless (unless someone proves otherwise). If you are going to the MAC you are traditionally a couple years away from playing. MAC doesn’t get freshman who play year one. They are traditionally 1⭐️ Or no star developmental kids.
Perhaps it's also about getting a head start on a degree? Nice to be ahead of your peers as far as credits go. Plus, you get a better selection of classes.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I am an NIU grad from way back in the day, and I sort of pay attention to the league closer than I would any of the other non-power 5 conferences.
Before getting on point, for the record, the view here is that the MAC made a terrible decision in trading Saturday afternoon/evening football home games for ESPN TV coverage on Tuesdays and Wednesdays in November.
In the deal, the MAC wasn't allowed to play any Saturday games in November ... the one exception being a November Saturday this year because ESPN didn't want to be televising MAC football on election night.
I totally get the MAC trading home attendance for TV bucks, but the result is that the MAC teams are bottom feeders in the list of home attendance average for the NCAA Div. I football programs each year.
Now, onto point ... according to website 247 Sports, the MAC's recruiting efforts for 2020 grads is as follows: No. 1 Toledo has 19 3-star commits, No. 2 Bowling Green has 20 3-star commits, No. 5 NIU hasd 23 3-star commits.
All told, 247 Sports says the 12 MAC schools have 0 5-star recruits, 0 4-star recruits, and 205 3-star recruits. So, I suspect it might not be entirely fair to say the MAC recruits 0 star and 1 star players only.
I was also curious about Illinois prep grads playing in the MAC.
In 2019, the Toledo roster has 2 Illinois prep grads on the roster, Bowling Green. had 3, Western Michigan had 23, Central Michigan had 8, and NIU about 50, so obviously Illinois preps do play in the MAC.
Finally, there has been discussion about players committed to MAC schools trying to land a Power 5 school offer and really needing to play a senior season.
Off the top of my head, Lakes (Lake Villa) High grad T.J. Edwards committed to Western Michigan, flipped to Wisconsin, and is now playing in the NFL with the Eagles.
Libertyville High grad Riley Lees committed to Miami (Ohio), flipped to Northwestern and has been a starting wideout/punt returner the past two seasons.
Whether senior season tape got those two the offers to bigger schools or not, I don't know. But it actually does happen occasionally that a player will commit to a MAC school and then wind up with a Big Ten offer.
Thanks for reading.

responding to two different points.
First yes, you can sometimes leverage your fcs offers into top tier fbs offers. Usually as a walk on after signing day. Pulled two of those off at Lake Forest this spring.
Second. Early enrollment is a great over signing tactic. If there are scholarships floating around then they will go after early enrollees hard. But...if you’re not physically ready to get into the program early it’s a Waste of the schools time and resources. We can talk reclassifying again later.
If we’re talking top 20 p5 programs then it’s a whole different ballgame. But even then I’ve seen plenty of smoke blown up families asses in recruitment that goes from need you in early because you’re going to start year 1 to grayshirt on early signing day if you slide down the board. And all but a top very few will redshirt freshman season anyway, but I’m getting off topic.
Most kids will be just fine graduating on time. Many top high school programs in the US don’t allow early graduation. Doesn’t hurt their kids a bit.
*49 D2 players made the 53 man rosters last year.

I think all of this speaks to the culture we are living in and I absolutely hate it.

Instead of kids just simply enjoying HS football they are always looking ahead to college. The best memories of Athletics are in HS. Enjoy them while they last.

@EdgyTim id be curious to hear your thoughts on this topic. Kids not playing this spring to graduate early and not going to a power 5 program.

Most kids will be just fine graduating on time.
I agree with this as well as much of your entire post. However this is an unusual year. I think it really depends on what NCAA football does this year as well as 2021 season. If NCAA football plans on a normal schedule for the 2021 season, I think some high school players will sit out (similar to NCAA players if they are playing in the spring this year) to avoid injury and start the preparation process for college ball.

I agree with this as well as much of your entire post. However this is an unusual year. I think it really depends on what NCAA football does this year as well as 2021 season. If NCAA football plans on a normal schedule for the 2021 season, I think some high school players will sit out (similar to NCAA players if they are playing in the spring this year) to avoid injury and start the preparation process for college ball.

The minute you start worrying about getting injury is when you start to get injured. What is the difference in kids playing in the fall and leave in January? Should they not play because they may get injured? You can't compare going to college with applying for a job (NFL).

Parents and kids will make whatever is the best choice for them. If you sit out this year and redshirt next year, that will be over two years of not playing football. Not sure the ability of any athlete to sit out that amount of time and step right in.
Just a thought.

The minute you start worrying about getting injury is when you start to get injured. What is the difference in kids playing in the fall and leave in January? Should they not play because they may get injured? You can't compare going to college with applying for a job (NFL).

Parents and kids will make whatever is the best choice for them. If you sit out this year and redshirt next year, that will be over two years of not playing football. Not sure the ability of any athlete to sit out that amount of time and step right in.
Just a thought.
Except you still get practice reps as a redshirt.

What is the difference in kids playing in the fall and leave in January?
I believe the difference would be that in January they’re not in full pads with full contact on college campuses. This HS season would be played in the spring and getting done in April/May. Then kids have maybe 1-2 months before getting back into full contact at college practice as opposed having 6-7 months they normally have.

I believe the difference would be that in January they’re not in full pads with full contact on college campuses. This HS season would be played in the spring and getting done in April/May. Then kids have maybe 1-2 months before getting back into full contact at college practice as opposed having 6-7 months they normally have.

If they were going early, they would be back in pads in March. So maybe you lose a month or so in this situation. It's really not a big deal however I understand all the concerns.

Reactions: caravan8
I kinda of skimmed these so sorry if this was asked and answered but do these D1 programs even want some of these players on campus early? I can see if they are in their immediate plans but most of these kids will probably red shirt. If they go early they are just gonna be brushed to the side...finish your high school experience, don’t become an Alum from an On Line school or some school you never even walked into.

why do you think that?
NIU QB job is ripe for the picking. Nobody on that roster fits what the staff has recruited for, he has that skillset.

I am for any kid enrolling early. Great job graduating and taking a step to get yourself an edge on the competition.

Not to mention a spring season and playing in the fall don't mesh, and if he plans on winning the job...

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT