ADVERTISEMENT

Rule Change Request - Penalty in End Zone

capnbillhitters

Gold Member
May 18, 2015
Watching Warren / LZ last night I was befuddled that LZ's interference in the end zone of Warren receiver on 3rd down in 2nd OT didn't result in first down. If interference is never an automatic first down, fine. But when it occurs in the end zone by the defensive team, the offense should be granted half the distance and a fresh set of downs.

Hoping this isn't related to "each team gets four downs from the ten."

HS football OT is the worst! I much prefer college.

Watching Warren / LZ last night I was befuddled that LZ's interference in the end zone of Warren receiver on 3rd down in 2nd OT didn't result in first down. If interference is never an automatic first down, fine. But when it occurs in the end zone by the defensive team, the offense should be granted half the distance and a fresh set of downs.

Hoping this isn't related to "each team gets four downs from the ten."
In HS its 1st and goal from the 10. The only time a team would be awarded a new series of downs would be a roughing call. DPI would be 1/2 the distance from the previous spot and repeat the down.

Speaking of which(going back to a older rules thread) not once not twice but 3 times in games in different states I've watched had the Punter drop the ball & a 4th have it partially block & all 4 times the Punter got hit a 15 yard penalty.I thought blocking the ball full or partial, and ball gets dropped or hits the ground it's fair game.no? 2 games were H.S. & 2 were college.

Doesn't matter if the ball hits the ground prior to the kick. Punter gets protection once the ball is kicked.

This can be a tricky ruling and in some cases subject to the judgement of the covering official. This is the rule:
Running into or roughing the kicker or holder.
A defensive player shall neither run into the kicker nor holder, which is contact that displaces the kicker or holder without roughing; nor block, tackle or charge into the kicker of a scrimmage kick, or the place-kick holder, other than when:
a. Contact is unavoidable because it is not reasonably certain that a kick will be made.
b. The defense touches the kick near the kicker and contact is unavoidable (like a block or partial block).
c. Contact is slight and is partially caused by movement of the kicker.
d. Contact is caused by R being blocked into the kicker or holder by K.

You would have to see the plays to be able to determine what actually happened.

So at what snap depth does a punter actually become a punter?

This can be a tricky ruling and in some cases subject to the judgement of the covering official. This is the rule:
Running into or roughing the kicker or holder.
A defensive player shall neither run into the kicker nor holder, which is contact that displaces the kicker or holder without roughing; nor block, tackle or charge into the kicker of a scrimmage kick, or the place-kick holder, other than when:
a. Contact is unavoidable because it is not reasonably certain that a kick will be made.
b. The defense touches the kick near the kicker and contact is unavoidable (like a block or partial block).
c. Contact is slight and is partially caused by movement of the kicker.
d. Contact is caused by R being blocked into the kicker or holder by K.

You would have to see the plays to be able to determine what actually happened.

no such thing as snap depth for the punter to receive protection . Only applies to the snapper. team must have someone 7 yards or more do receive the snap

I think you misinterpret what I am saying or I misunderstood your question.

The only time depth comes into question is on the center, A kicker is always afforded protection as long as he is deemed a kicker. As someone earlier stated if he kicks the ball he can't be touched, or something along those lines. This statement is not true. If he lines up 5 yards back the snapper is not afforded protection , but the kicker might. If it is obvious he is kicking the ball, he gets protection. If he starts to run ( a rugby type play) . He might or might not get the protection.

Reactions: Chief321
Thanks for the clarification, I might be temped at the High School level to always put my kicker at 5 yds hoping to draw the roughing call.

I think you misinterpret what I am saying or I misunderstood your question.

The only time depth comes into question is on the center, A kicker is always afforded protection as long as he is deemed a kicker. As someone earlier stated if he kicks the ball he can't be touched, or something along those lines. This statement is not true. If he lines up 5 yards back the snapper is not afforded protection , but the kicker might. If it is obvious he is kicking the ball, he gets protection. If he starts to run ( a rugby type play) . He might or might not get the protection.

on a punt the kicker needs to be 10 yards deep to get the numbering exception/snapper protection. 7 yards if there is a holder on his knee

ADVERTISEMENT