ADVERTISEMENT

RIP John Jackson

GoTitans86

Jun 12, 2014
RIP to Coach John Jackson. True legend.

NN Athletics
@NNathletics

Huskie Nation. Please keep John Jackson’s family in your prayers. Huskie Football coach John passed away after a valiant battle with cancer. God bless Coach John Jackson and all the lives he has touched!

Reactions: NNFAN
RIP to Coach John Jackson. True legend.

NN Athletics
@NNathletics

Huskie Nation. Please keep John Jackson’s family in your prayers. Huskie Football coach John passed away after a valiant battle with cancer. God bless Coach John Jackson and all the lives he has touched!
Will surely be missed. Got to know coach through Coach Mckeon and the Naperville North coaches after John went to Plainfield. He was always part of the North family and got to know him over the years coaching against him as well. Truly tough as nails "Old School" coach. His intellect and wit and sharp sense of humor isn't found in many I have met. Like I said, tough and competitive but as I got to know him....was more concerned about his players becoming good men. I have been doing this for quite a long time in college and high school. Coach Jackson was truly one of a kind....his beliefs, his toughness, and his very unique way of expressing his views! Although very sad to hear the news I cannot help but smile thinking of John Jackson"isms". I hope those that played for him can close their eyes and hear that voice and some of the crazy but incredibly true and meaningful things that he shared. John won and lost his share and I certainly did not come to judge the man for wins and losses....he loved his players, men he coached with, the game of football and life. I could only hope to be remembered half as fondly as I will remember John. With great pride he coached young men to become great men.

John was one of the funniest and most passionate coaches around. When Larry McKeon arrived at Naperville North in 1983, John was one of the first assistants hired by McKeon. Together, they (along with Stan Gruszka) built Naperville North football into a powerhouse. He coached (current head coach and good friend) Sean Drendel during the 1988 an 1989 seasons. The 1989 team was arguably the best team NN ever had. I will never forget coach celebrating on the field after NN had won the 1992 state title declaring "I AM A CHAMPION!!!". John stayed at NN for one more season, but really wanted the opportunity to be a head coach. He inherited an 0-8 Collinsville team in 1994, quickly turning them into a winner in just 3 short seasons. It was on to Plainfield High School in 1997. He was enjoying plenty of success until Plainfield was split into two schools (Plainfield South 2002), then four high schools (Plainfield North 2006, Plainfield East 2009). The numbers and talent dropped dramatically, making it difficult to win those last years. His students at Plainfield Central absolutely loved him... one student even created a web page named ilovejohnjackson.tripod.com. My deepest sympathies go out to Pam Jackson and her family. John had a very positive impact on the lives of hundreds of young people. I echo ekarb's sentiments above.

https://buglenewspapers.com/former-wildcat-coach-john-jackson-dies-after-battle-with-cancer

Reactions: Hillini74
Just a hell of a Man....I remember when his Dad, who was the Sheriff of downstate Morgan County, passed away from the same thing...and I offered John my condolences and he was upbeat and I told him I admired him for his humorous attitude at such a trying time and he said, "No tears from me...because if I do...my old Man will be waiting to kick my ass when I go and we meet again..."...Rest in Peace Johnny...back with you Dad now.....

Reactions: NNFAN
Just a hell of a Man....I remember when his Dad, who was the Sheriff of downstate Morgan County, passed away from the same thing...and I offered John my condolences and he was upbeat and I told him I admired him for his humorous attitude at such a trying time and he said, "No tears from me...because if I do...my old Man will be waiting to kick my ass when I go and we meet again..."...Rest in Peace Johnny...back with you Dad now.....
Wow, Mike. Great story. His dad had a brain tumor as well? One other fond memory I had... going back to the NN vs. Glenbard West playoff game in 1991. GW had an outstanding team that year, undefeated I believe. NN overachieved that year. With about 1 minute on the clock, NN drove 99 yards with no timeouts and shocked the Hilltoppers in Glen Ellyn. One of the greatest moments in NN history... and I saw John Jackson bearhugging all-stater Paul Marshall in the endzone. Didn't think he would ever let him go... the emotion on his face was priceless. John really loved and cared about his players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT