ADVERTISEMENT

Renteria

This tells me that Hahn isn't settling. Not sure if one certain thing did Renteria in, but the last two weeks plus playoff seem to make it easier for Hahn. Although I like Ozzie, it's not happening. AJ Hinch?
I would love to see what Sandy Alomar, Jr would do with the underachieving arm talent on this team.

I would love to see what Sandy Alomar, Jr would do with the underachieving arm talent on this team.

I just don't understand how they dealt with Cease; it reminds me how Bear dealt with MT, which in the end, proved ineffective. Cease's MO: great stuff, but 84 pitches in 3.2 innings. When he was 0-2/1-2, he wasted so many damn pitches. Learn from Giolitto--go after them right away, save some damn pitches. Just maybe Cease would've been a reliable pitcher in Game 3, instead of the puke we witnessed.

Reactions: IgorStL
Hahn basically said that Ozzie is not a candidate for the job and won’t be considered. AJ Hinch, Alex Cora, Sandy Alomar Jr all have to be on the short list. I wonder if they’ll look at Visquel as well. Cooper had to go, and possibly more staff members. Any manger who can lead the team to a World Series title will want to have input on those positions and wouldn’t want to have position coaches/instructors tied to the offer.

Hahn basically said that Ozzie is not a candidate for the job and won’t be considered. AJ Hinch, Alex Cora, Sandy Alomar Jr all have to be on the short list. I wonder if they’ll look at Visquel as well. Cooper had to go, and possibly more staff members. Any manger who can lead the team to a World Series title will want to have input on those positions and wouldn’t want to have position coaches/instructors tied to the offer.
I think the Sox would be wise to steer clear of hunch and Cora. Lot to unpack there. Interestingly, I just saw they have reached out to Tony La Russa

I think the Sox would be wise to steer clear of hunch and Cora. Lot to unpack there. Interestingly, I just saw they have reached out to Tony La Russa

No LaRussa please.Last time he was here he was awful with the White Sox. Chuck Tanner was our 3rd base coach then and he was better than LaRussa.

Stone likes Cora and Hunch so I'm OK with both.

Honestly, I am a little surprised by the move. Pleasantly surprised, that is. Renteria shouldn't get another chance at managing another major league team. But, for obvious reasons he will. Meanwhile, Guillen is probably out of baseball for good. No way Guillen comes back to the Sox with Kenny Williams employed there.

Didn't know Cooper is gone too. Actually I am happier about that. Just a little happier. But happier.

Hard to say who they should replace them with. No on Cora for me.

LaRussa is 76, which would make him older than Casey Stengel when he coached his last game. But age is not a barrier. Connie Mack was 88 when he retired. Jack McKeon led the Marlins to a Series title at the age of 73, beating the hapless Cubs in the playoffs with Mark Prior on the mound and Steve Bartman in the stands.

Last edited:
I have no problem w AJ Hinch and think he’s the front runner. But why isn’t Alex Cora or Joey Cora getting any mention? W as many foreign players on the roster, you would think a manger w their make up would be of interests to them. Maybe they are interviewing them.

I know Hinch and Alex Cora played a role in cheating but that is the only way they’d have a shot at a manager w World Series experience.

they wouldn’t do it again - you’d hope.

Cora has been linked to the Red Sox again and it wouldn’t surprise me to see him go right back there. Hinch has gotten a lot of mention because of his connection to Hahn (I believe Hahn was either his agent in the early 2000’s or worked at the agency that represents Hinch). I wouldn’t mind them taking a look at Sandy Alomar Jr as well.

ADVERTISEMENT