ADVERTISEMENT

Regional Finals 5/25 2019

The Tinley/JC was a great game. I was really impressed with the TInley pitcher. Was dominant for first five innings. JCA gave up 5 in the bottom of the 5th to fall behind 5-1. They way the kid for Tinley was throwing, I was very concerned. Hilltoppers put together a 5 run 6th, scoring 4 after 2 outs. Two of the runs came on wild pitches. Junior Zack Hize pitched the 6th and 7th and was dominant to hold the win. A real good high school game.
No doubt. Great game. Tinley had their big inning in the bottom of the 5th. I wonder if the long inning contributed to Wilma struggling in the top of the 6th. He was cruising up to that point. I think his pitch count may have contributed too. I saw he threw 110 pitches. Was really impressed with Hise as well.

I'll be interested to see who JCA pitches against StL. I suspect I know who will start. Depending on the weather, it could be a higher scoring game. But, baseball tends to surprise.

No doubt. Great game. Tinley had their big inning in the bottom of the 5th. I wonder if the long inning contributed to Wilma struggling in the top of the 6th. He was cruising up to that point. I think his pitch count may have contributed too. I saw he threw 110 pitches. Was really impressed with Hise as well.

I'll be interested to see who JCA pitches against StL. I suspect I know who will start. Depending on the weather, it could be a higher scoring game. But, baseball tends to surprise.
It'll be all hands on deck Saturday for the Hilltoppers Pitching Staff. I'm guessing it'll be a Hise/Vera game and Ragusa to come in during a middle inning to get out of jam if needed.

Reactions: USD24
The St. Rita Mustangs (32-6) advanced to the Class 4A Sectional Championship Game with a 3-2 win over Mt. Carmel. Sophomore Big Al Holguin (6-1) threw 6.2 innings to earn the win. St. Rita will next play the winner of Naz/BR at Ozinga Field Saturday 11am. #SRBaseball

Closest of the four games. MC had the tying and winning runs on base in the 7th inning. It was my first game at Ozinga Field since they put in the field turf. Very nice! We have to get the fundraising guy working on getting field turf on the St. Rita field. That's right after Field House (inside joke).

Reactions: Gene K.

Sounds like Vera will be getting the start tomorrow.

Please post any location changes, (Edit: time changes), scores and/or finals here for today's Sectional Finals 6/1/19.

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:
Last I heard: StL 5 JCA 2 bottom of the 6th inning. Apparently JCA is the home team even though the game is @ StL.

Was at StL JC. Heartbreaking finish JC was down 5-2 bot 7 got it to 5-4 1 out 1st and 3rd then a 6-4-3.

The Mustangs (33-6) beat Nazareth 7-0 to clinch the Class 4A St. Rita Sectional Championship. Diego Koval (7-1) threw 6 shutout innings to pick up the win, and Jalen Greer (2-2, 3B, HR, 2RBIs) led the offense. Greer's homer to dead center field just kept going and going. The ball had that kind of over spin that my golf shots never do. The Mustangs advance to the Schaumburg Supersectional Monday 7:30pm.

To Irish LB and the Nazareth faithful welcome to the conference. Eight CCL teams alone won regional titles. Add in the ESCC teams the merger may had created one best conferences in the country when you look at all the levels.

Was at StL JC. Heartbreaking finish JC was down 5-2 bot 7 got it to 5-4 1 out 1st and 3rd then a 6-4-3.
Was at the game too. Sat on the berm in left center. Nice place to watch a game at Laurence.

StL gave JCA their first run. JCA gave StL their 4th run with the three-base outfield error. IMO, those runs somewhat canceled each other out. I thought the biggest sequence of the game was JCA walking the StL first and second hitters ahead of McCormick in the third. You just can't walk guys ahead of him.

I'm surprised StL uses McCormick to close. That's a tall order after catching all game. To his credit, he got it done, and I believe has been doing it all year.

Was at the game too. Sat on the berm in left center. Nice place to watch a game at Laurence.

StL gave JCA their first run. JCA gave StL their 4th run with the three-base outfield error. IMO, those runs somewhat canceled each other out. I thought the biggest sequence of the game was JCA walking the StL first and second hitters ahead of McCormick in the third. You just can't walk guys ahead of him.

I'm surprised StL uses McCormick to close. That's a tall order after catching all game. To his credit, he got it done, and I believe has been doing it all year.
What did that moonshot look like from that vantage point? I was near JC dugout

The Mustangs (33-6) beat Nazareth 7-0 to clinch the Class 4A St. Rita Sectional Championship. Diego Koval (7-1) threw 6 shutout innings to pick up the win, and Jalen Greer (2-2, 3B, HR, 2RBIs) led the offense. Greer's homer to dead center field just kept going and going. The ball had that kind of over spin that my golf shots never do. The Mustangs advance to the Schaumburg Supersectional Monday 7:30pm.

To Irish LB and the Nazareth faithful welcome to the conference. Eight CCL teams alone won regional titles. Add in the ESCC teams the merger may had created one best conferences in the country when you look at all the levels.

TL--you have the scoop on Viking from Fremd? I am assuming Diego is Rita's ace, so who do you think will be pitching Monday? Lastly, did Naz pitch their ace today? I will now hang up and patiently wait for your answers.

What did that moonshot look like from that vantage point? I was near JC dugout
I had trouble picking it up off the bat. It seemed like a no-doubter as soon as he hit it, though. Looked like a low, inside fastball.

I had trouble picking it up off the bat. It seemed like a no-doubter as soon as he hit it, though. Looked like a low, inside fastball.
Looking at 3A now, seeing whats left after Chatham Glenwood lost today, cant imagine Laurence not winning it. Monday would be toughest challenge if DLS ace pitches. Not sure if he threw vs Lindblom today.

TL--you have the scoop on Viking from Fremd? I am assuming Diego is Rita's ace, so who do you think will be pitching Monday? Lastly, did Naz pitch their ace today? I will now hang up and patiently wait for your answers.
What would you like to know about Fremd?

Looking at 3A now, seeing whats left after Chatham Glenwood lost today, cant imagine Laurence not winning it. Monday would be toughest challenge if DLS ace pitches. Not sure if he threw vs Lindblom today.
I would agree with that. It seems many of the ranked 3A teams have lost. DLS may be STL's toughest remaining foe. I also wonder about Laurence's pitching depth. They brought Seropian in to face a lefty today, and he threw 4 innings against Morris. Not sure if they will come back with him again against DLS. If they don't, I'm not sure who they have. I'm also surprised McCormick is their closer.

Provi and Marist didn’t disappoint by reaching sectional finals. 2 3-run HRs did Celtics in. Striking out 14 times didn’t help. Good luck to Marist the rest of the way. Love to see a St Rita/Marist final.

Are they throwing their #1 on Monday? If not, how are their other starters? Reads like they can hit the ball. Being ignorant about this game, I'd say a pick'em?
Rita will be a clear favorite going in, but Fremd bats are hot right now. Fremd will likely throw their number two. He threw very well against Warren for 4 innings giving up only 1 hit, but then started walking too many and got pulled.

Sorry Witty it took so long to get back to you. I guess you can call Diego Koval the ace of the staff. At an alumni luncheon Coach Nee said he’s the kind of kid you want on your side in the pinch. He said he had him mentor a couple of younger pitchers. As far as the rest of your questions I feel like Sgt. Schultz from Hogan’s Hero's. I know nothing..

But I found this recent article on Fremd’s last win:

Baseball: Fremd routs Lake Forest for first sectional title in 19 years
https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/...-forest-for-first-sectional-title-in-19-years

Who’s going where tomorrow? I’ll be in Schaumburg tomorrow night for St. Rita v Fremd.
Good luck to all the teams getting this far!

Who’s going where tomorrow? I’ll be in Schaumburg tomorrow night for St. Rita v Fremd.
Good luck to all the teams getting this far!
I'm trying to make it. Figure 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours to get there an hour to get home - maybe.

Sorry Witty it took so long to get back to you. I guess you can call Diego Koval the ace of the staff. At an alumni luncheon Coach Nee said he’s the kind of kid you want on your side in the pinch. He said he had him mentor a couple of younger pitchers. As far as the rest of your questions I feel like Sgt. Schultz from Hogan’s Hero's. I know nothing..

But I found this recent article on Fremd’s last win:

Baseball: Fremd routs Lake Forest for first sectional title in 19 years
https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/...-forest-for-first-sectional-title-in-19-years

Thanks for the good ol' college try tom! Let's hope the Mustangs can win tonight and move to the final four. Should be a great game!

SR - Fremd ump with a...pitcher friendly strike zone. 2-0 Rita after 2

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT