ADVERTISEMENT

Ref Question

PowerI66

Oct 11, 2012
Team A has a 20 yd gain running the ball. During the run, team A commits a hold 15 yards down field. Also during the run, team B commits a Personal Foul facemask.

How do you enforce? The crew I saw called offsetting penalties and a replay of the down.

Team A has a 20 yd gain running the ball. During the run, team A commits a hold 15 yards down field. Also during the run, team B commits a Personal Foul facemask.

How do you enforce? The crew I saw called offsetting penalties and a replay of the down.

I am not a Ref but it sounds like they made the correct call.

Correct. Live ball fouls will offset even if they aren’t equal in yardage They will also offset even if one team has 2 live ball fouls and the other has only 1

One more ref question if I could.

Team A is multiple scores down late in the game to Team B and is kicking off and going to do an onsides kick.

Team A is offsides on the onsides kick and Team B recovers the ball anyways and wants to waive off the 5 yard penality or have it enforced at the spot of the recovery. Can either one of these options be utilized or must a rekick/retry happen in high school ball?

Team A is multiple scores down late in the game to Team B and is kicking off and going to do an onsides kick.

Team A is offsides on the onsides kick and Team B recovers the ball anyways and wants to waive off the 5 yard penality or have it enforced at the spot of the recovery. Can either one of these options be utilized or must a rekick/retry happen in high school ball?

Again not a Ref but believe they can waive the offsides. I believe it’s basically a free play like defensive holding.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21

If K is offsides it is a dead ball foul and the play is killed immediately. 5 yard penalty and rekick.

If K is offsides it is a dead ball foul and the play is killed immediately. 5 yard penalty and rekick.

Wow ok so it is different in HS than college. Seems strange to keep running the onsides and allowing the huge collisions to happen multiple times. In theory you could go offsides on purpose a few times and target the same kid with big hits until he gets alligator arms from the hits and then stay on sides for the 3rd or 4th try.

Again not a Ref but believe they can waive the offsides. I believe it’s basically a free play like defensive holding.

Yes in college. I saw the same onsides play (with kicking team offsides) one on Friday and one on Saturday and the one on Friday was a redo/rekick while the college one was refused or enforced after the possession (can’t temember which).

What's the call? Kickoff lands on the 15 yard line about a foot from out of bounds. Recieving team going to pick up the ball has 1 foot out of bounds when he grabs the ball. Where's the ball spotted.

What's the call? Kickoff lands on the 15 yard line about a foot from out of bounds. Recieving team going to pick up the ball has 1 foot out of bounds when he grabs the ball. Where's the ball spotted.

Its a penalty for a free kick out of bounds, receiving team will likely opt to take it at the 35

The player's status is considered out of bounds, him touching the ball also makes the ball out of bounds before it has touched any player in bounds=fouls for kick out of bounds.

If you have fouls by both teams they offset in every code 99% of the time. About the only exception is if A fouls, B intercepts (or recovers a fumble) then fouls after the turnover, B gets the ball since B will decline A's foul. B will get the ball and their penalty will be enforced.

As for encroachment on the kickoff, it's like encroachment on any other play: a dead ball foul.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
If the ball is in bounds, and is touched by a player who is out of bounds, the ball is marked for play at the forward point of the ball where it was touched by the out of bounds player.

If the ball is in bounds, and is touched by a player who is out of bounds, the ball is marked for play at the forward point of the ball where it was touched by the out of bounds player.
Wrong. They mark it as thr kick out of bounds and receiving team gets the ball at the 35. Who knew. Such a dumb rule.

Wrong. They mark it as thr kick out of bounds and receiving team gets the ball at the 35. Who knew. Such a dumb rule.
They made a mistake. Or the ball actually went out of bounds. Rule 4.3.

Last edited:
Youtube Nd media crew for those who can. 1 hour 22 min 30 seconds mark (roughly). Someone is going to have to explain to me how this wasn't a forward pass (oh btw, the call goes for ND and not against them).

Reactions: Hillini74
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT