ADVERTISEMENT

Recap: Rivals Camp at O'Fallon

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
The Rivals Camp was on Sunday at O'Fallon High School and this was the second time in three years the Rivals Camp stayed south of Chicagoland (Rivals Camp also didn't come close to Illinois last year). After seeing some of the State of Missouri talent on hand from the 2018 and 32019 classes staying closer to St Louis made much more sense. Let's just say that the Missouri 2018/2019 classes are loaded with talent and several top names across the Midwest participated.

Illinois? Not great numbers (as I expected going in) for several reasons including kids basically being camped out (several top names have already camped at Nike/UA etc), location (several Chicagoland kids didn't want to make the drive) along with the simple fact that several top names have already been committed for some time now. Yet for the overall lack of Illinois kids the quality of the kids at this camp was exceptional.

Rivals remains a highly selective camp (roughly 175-200 kids in total here) to get into and on one hand I wish they would open things up a bit more...yet I also understand from Rivals perspective of wanting just the best of the best at these select camps. I also still love the fact that Rivals Camps do zero testing and use that time for more football and reps.

So who stood out?

RB Geno Hess Peoria- Hess is a quick and shift runner who also has good strength and also very good balance. Hess was able to show decent hands in various drill work and overall I see Hess as a FCS level name here. Hess has also to offer and the only real knock is his overall height/size/frame which is keeping some bigger names schools from taking a harder look.

WR Jayshon Jackson Simeon- the Toledo commit remains one of my most underrated names in the Class of 2018. Jackson has great ball skills, wheels and hands and Jayshon just makes catch after catch. Jackson adjust to the football about as well as anyone I saw here and I see Big Ten level athletic potential and skills here. If the grades are in line I can't help but think a few lower tier Big Ten schools should take another look here.

QB Christian Perez East St. Louis- is one of the more consistent passer at camps and did well again here. Has added FCS level offers and for now seems to be a good fit for Perez I feel. Perez has a better than you think arm, can place the football pretty much where he wants to and is just a very solid overall athlete as well. Is in line to have a potentially huge 2017 senior season with the Flyers.

RB/LB Oliver McDowell East St Louis- McDowell has really good size and despite taking reps at running back here has the look of a linebacker at the next level. McDowell runs well and at nearly 6-foot-1, 215 pounds has a shot at drawing more looks this summer and fall.

WR Eric Rogers East St. Louis- a transfer into East St. Louis from Soldan HS, Rogers at 6-foot-3, 181 pounds I felt was one of the better overall receiver at this camp. Rogers has really good size/length and wingspan along with impressive speed and hands. Rogers also has vertical, can go get the football at it's high point and will be a big time matchup issue this fall. Rogers I feel has lower to mid tier Big Ten athletic ability.

WR Lawaun Powell East St. Louis 2020- you never like to make any type of comparison for a player....so I won't even attempt to compare Powell to say Jeff Thomas...let's just say that Powell was simply one of the most impressive 2020 kids I've seen since....Jeff Thomas at the same stage. Powell still has a ton to learn and improve upon...yet Powell also has great size and strength, speed and some of the strongest hands going. Powell could honestly plays several different spots if asked on the field. Huge upside here.

QB Anthony Norris Mundelein- Norris remains an intriguing kid in my eyes. He has great size (6-foot-4, 222 pounds) and is a kid who I feel could get some looks this summer in camps at say QB/TE or even DE? Has the athletic ability to make a position change if needed.

QB Quincy Patterson Solorio- The West Virginia commit just shows up, puts on a positive attitude and goes out and plays...and impresses. Patterson is maybe the best on the hoof kid I've seen at quarterback since Aaron Bailey (Bolingbrook/Illinois/UNI). Yet unlike Bailey at this stage Patterson game/throwing ability is far advanced and gets better each time I see him live. Patterson has really worked hard on his overall touch especially on his deep ball. Patterson's upside and down the line potential is as high as anyone in this class and I have a strong feeling we've only seen the very beginning of a long career here.

QB Coran Taylor Peoria- this camp performance was easily the best I've seen this off-season from the Illinois commit. I just get the feeling that Taylor remains a turn on the lights and he's ready to go kinda player, yet Taylor showed me a lot here. Taylor seems to be more and more comfortable as more of a pocket passer at these camps and he's also improved his overall accuracy and touch as well. Taylor's best part of his game I feel remains the run threat...yet the passing game portion is improving all the time as well.

WR Micah Jones Warren Township- Will this kid please graduate. Seriously I've been watching Jones since he was in like 3rd grade. Ok all kidding aside Micah Jones comes to all of these type of camps to compete and this kid simply loves to play and get after it. Jones has the overall physical tools and upside you look fort in a 4-5 star kid and I'm really excited to see how well he can make the adjustment to the college level. The best compliment I can say about Jones is that he just makes things look almost too easy at times. I also respect Jones big time for continuing to compete when quite simply he really doesn't have much left to prove at this level...yet he still grinds.

DB Derric Lee Waubonsie Valley- Lee is another kid who just camps and competes hard. Lee is yet another kid I feel is being a bit under recruited so far this spring. Lee is a gamer who just always finds his way to the football and makes plays. Lee always takes reps, goes against the best of the best and Lee also has smarts and great overall feel. Speed? That seems to be the knock with Power 5 schools on Lee yet I see more than a capable safety type with a very strong overall game.

DB Houston Griffith IMG Academy- I include Houston here because he's a Chicago kid and will always be a Chicago kid in my mind so...(if you are a Mount Carmel fan stop reading here). Griffith has just developed his game to a point where he is simply the best player on the field especially in the secondary at these events. Griffith has added more strength and weight and has just refined his already strong overall game. Griffith also plays with a very high football IQ and just handles himself with an incredible amount of confidence and is about as smooth as they come. Griffith I feel is a candidate to become a 5 star kid in my opinion.

DB Armon Brummett Decatur MacArthur- worked out as a safety here and did well I felt. Played receiver and has drawn offer as a receiver yet Brummett, along with his twin brother Amir (NIU WR commit who also played safety) both more than hung in there against top tier competition. The Brummett twins I still feel could be two of the more overlooked athlete types in this class.

DE Demond Taylor East St Louis- I also saw Taylor this winter at Nike and I felt back then that Taylor is a bit of a tweener positionally. Taylor does really well in one on ones and also has very good strength/quickness and very good leverage/bend. Yet at 6-foot-1 1/2 260 pounds can he add say another 2o plus pounds and play DT? Regardless a very good overall player here to watch this summer and fall.

OG Artese Gregory Plainfield East- Gregory is maybe one of the most improved kids I've seen this offseason. I was NOT impresses with Gregory's 2016 junior video whatsoever and Gregory has been able to turn his entire approach and game around this winter for the positive. Gregory has a good motor, attacks opposing defenders and has good feet and has also improved his overall strength. In a setting like this camp Gregory's only real shortcoming I can see is his overall size/height (6-foot-1 1/2 276 pounds) where opposing much bigger defensive linemen use overall size/physics to beat a kid with Gregory's size at times. I feel Gregory has worked himself into a potential FCS/D2 level potential scholarship player this off season.

OL Jordyn Slaughter Belleville Althoff- Slaughter has offers from a ton of FCS schools and the only real issue I see bigger level schools holding off on offering is Slaughters overall height (6-foot-3, 305 pounds) and will be more of an inside guy at the bigger level schools. Slaughter has a lot to offer here including a great motor, punch and very good hands. Slaughter also shows more aggression in camps than at any time on his junior video. Slaughter would be a terrific longer term player at the FCS level...and also has the potential to play say OG. Also surprised schools haven't considered taking a look at Slaughter as say at Dt/DT type?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT