ADVERTISEMENT

Question on Classification Next Season for SR and Naz

Only reason I disagree with that comparison is because of Racki. He’s done it at a couple places and seems to have a structure around the program. I believe he’d find a way to have a feeder program succeed and those other kids he would get would be better. Naz has talent, but they also develop talent and that’s the difference between being a “have” and a “have not”. Every kid who goes to LWE, GW, MS, Batavia or the many other successful public schools isn’t just more talented than the kids at less successful schools, they’re developed and progress better. That comes from coaching
I don't know anything Lyons past coaches, but the current coach seemed to be highly regarded at HC. Racki has done it at two private schools, I'm not saying he couldn't or wouldn't at publics but the track record of coaches who coached both types isn't good. Stone, Sharpe, and the Evanston coach come to mind. I do think Naz has had more talented teams than Lyons, which is odd considering the size of the schools and proximity.

Reactions: Gene K.
I believe he's saying that if Naz had a district JJ would be in it. Correct me if I'm wrong @godfthr53

But the issue is not only would you get JJ but you'd also get the other hundreds of kids in the neighborhood. Naz would be Lyons.
Love and McCarthy lived/live roughly 1.5 miles from Naz. Maybe less. They probably live closer to their school than some DQ students is what I'm saying.

As far as the Maxpreps rosters go a lot of kids were added to the St. Rita roster for the state final from the lower levels. The regular season roster was 37 less. Nice thing for the sophomore team to suit for the final along with a few freshmen. But they only were on the field for the warm-ups.
That is what I meant about helmet count not being realistic. Montini did the same thing for the playoffs or they would have had 50 kids on Varsity instead of 64. Helmet count does not equate to talent level but IMO the more male bodies in a high school is a definite advantage over a high school with significantly less male students.

It absolutely matters to football success.Helmets in a football program is huge.Give me 80 kids on varsity roster over 40 kids!
The main thing that makes me wonder why would you not want to play at the highest level and hide helmets so you can play at 5A or 6A.If montini has 65 kids on varsity roster they should play 7A for sure and same with Naz.

We can debate where schools belong, but I would prefer to see teams that are stuck in 7A and 8A that have been loosing for over a decade move down in class.

Only reason I disagree with that comparison is because of Racki. He’s done it at a couple places and seems to have a structure around the program. I believe he’d find a way to have a feeder program succeed and those other kids he would get would be better. Naz has talent, but they also develop talent and that’s the difference between being a “have” and a “have not”. Every kid who goes to LWE, GW, MS, Batavia or the many other successful public schools isn’t just more talented than the kids at less successful schools, they’re developed and progress better. That comes from coaching

Bingo! Totally agree.

Reactions: caravan8
Let use some common sense here,winning percentage combined with helmet counts in programs.Montini,Loyola and Naz attract kids from all over city and many suburbs,I personally know kids in each of these programs that drive an hour each way to go to these schools.When other smaller Catholic schools are more local athletes.So quit crying and move up and accept the challenge.
Naz already did... so quit crying

As far as the Maxpreps rosters go a lot of kids were added to the St. Rita roster for the state final from the lower levels. The regular season roster was 37 less. Nice thing for the sophomore team to suit for the final along with a few freshmen. But they only were on the field for the warm-ups.
yeah, I think Loyola brings up their whole soph team for the playoffs.

Right, Loyola (as I was told at our playoff game in 2018) brings them all up, which makes their final Varsity Roster look like it has over 100 players on Varsity.
how do you run a practice with 100 guys 70 are probably standing around doing nothing the whole day.

how do you run a practice with 100 guys 70 are probably standing around doing nothing the whole day.
I know how it worked for JCA/JCHS back in the late 70's when we typically had around 65 guys on the varsity roster.

There were basically 2 full scrimmages going on simultaneously with the remaining 21 guys rotating through various positions.

I remember being very sore, tired and thirsty but I never ever remember standing around being bored.

ADVERTISEMENT