ADVERTISEMENT

Q of the Week: So what do we like/keep from Spring Football?

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
I'll start.

1. I like the 6PM no soph varsity start times....and I know I'm a crabby old media guy but starting on time is truly is a gift....

2. More Saturday football....yes I know Friday nights is still best but for my purposes....I like Saturday games as well as Thursday games. It's also nice to have more options on Saturday and Thursdays

3. More football to watch. Sure it's under horrible conditions but the thought of 4 more games then another hopefully 14 in the fall.....sweet.

You?

I like the proliferation of streaming for how accessible it makes games even when out of town or otherwise busy. However, I do know it will further the attendance and excitement decline we have seen in high school sports over the past few decades.

Reactions: kpjasion
I’m enjoying the freedom of scheduling different opponents. When are we ever going to see marmion vs Naperville central again?

i also think this year is going to make coaches rethink their summer. I think the 25 contact days are great, but there should be less football and more conditioning. 2 months of hitting in the summer is brutal.

I'll start.

1. I like the 6PM no soph varsity start times....and I know I'm a crabby old media guy but starting on time is truly is a gift....

2. More Saturday football....yes I know Friday nights is still best but for my purposes....I like Saturday games as well as Thursday games. It's also nice to have more options on Saturday and Thursdays

3. More football to watch. Sure it's under horrible conditions but the thought of 4 more games then another hopefully 14 in the fall.....sweet.

You?
Escc was doing no soph game before varsity until the ccl. I really liked it.

Dislike the early starts and no sophs. Suppose I'm just old school. From a football community/program perspective, I enjoy the ability for all levels playing within 24 hours. Enjoy having freshmen out at varsity games Fri seeing sophs and varsity, then having freshmen go Saturdays. Now having freshmen on some Thurs/sat, sophs Mondays/Saturdays...lose out on a connectedness. Just my opinion.

I'm liking the scheduling flexibility for sure with teams and conferences.

Obviously not enjoying the lack of fan experience, full band and student involvement. And I don't think it's returning in the fall.

Loving seeing seniors and everyone play, period.

• Love
Reactions: Gene K.
There is no way to get a 14 game schedule done in the spring. Also many baseball players play football. The kids playing spring sports need their day in the sun too.

Reactions: Gene K.
Smaller school programs don't seem to have changed much. The Sangamon Valley, in its last year, has a couple programs that appear to be dressing everyone for Friday night and are kicking off at 7. Its helping WGFA radio broadcasts be real consistent...Of course, if a school only has 40 players total in pads, Friday Varsity & Monday Fresh-Soph is probably necessary.

And most of the ICE schools are not playing freshman level, just Friday Varsity & Monday F-S. CC & Wilmo are playing home & home Freshman games, for only 2 frosh games...

Most of the loyal posters on this board that stuck through the Covid downtime know I was a huge advocate that we should play....even if it was in the Spring. I am happy that they are playing and I'm happy that at least the parents and some fans get to go to the games.

That being said, I don't like much about Spring ball. Two things that I don't like is the total lack of excitement from the schools and the fans.....and I get it, we can't watch the games in masses like we used to.....all the students can't all attend and get rowdy at the games. Pep Rally's, at least any with substance, can't be held. With the squeeze on fans and no playoffs/State Titles at the end of the road, there is very little, if any, excitement other then from the families of the players. Even this board has been lackluster as far as excitement. I mean one of the hottest threads we had last week was in reference to eating meat on Fridays during Lent and this was a week with 3 Top 10 Match Ups.

Also, I again know this had been brought up and being me so tunnel visioned on wanting a season I didn't stop to really take into mind the injury aspect the injury and the effect it would have on a player, especially mentally. I know their is risk in playing, but a friend of mine son tore his ACL....he's not only done the rest of Spring, but the Fall too as he won't be ready by Aug...maybe November if his school makes the playoff best case scenario, but still likely that his High School career is over. If your a underclassmen and your playing for film, once you got some good highlights, consider shutting it down and waiting for the Fall season, you get hurt now it may wipe out 2 seasons.

Last edited:
Most of the loyal posters on this board that stuck through the Covid downtime know I was a huge advocate that we should play....even if it was in the Spring. I am happy that they are playing and I'm happy that at least the parents and some fans get to go to the games.

That being said, I don't like much about Spring ball. Two things that I don't like is the total lack of excitement from the schools and the fans.....and I get it, we can't watch the games in masses like we used to.....all the students can't all attend and get rowdy at the games. Pep Rally's, at least any with substance, can't be held. With the squeeze on fans and no playoffs/State Titles at the end of the road, there is very little, if any, excitement other then from the families of the players. Even this board has been lackluster as far as excitement. I mean one of the hottest threads we had last week was in reference to eating meat on Fridays during Lent and this was a week with 3 Top 10 Match Ups.

Also, I again know this had been brought up and being me so tunnel visioned on wanting a season I didn't stop to really take into mind the injury aspect the injury and the effect it would have on a player, especially mentally. I know their is risk in playing, but a friend of mine son tore his ACL....he's not only done the rest of Spring, but the Fall too as he won't be ready by Aug...maybe November if his school makes the playoff best case scenario, but still likely that his High School career is over. If your a underclassmen and your playing for film, once you got some good highlights, consider shutting it down and waiting for the Fall season, you get hurt now it may wipe out 2 seasons.
A few years back my son had his ACL replaced in March and played the following Fall.. Tell your friend to have his son follow the physical therapy program his Dr. prescribes and he could be ready for the fall.

I sure hope that high school football hasn’t been reduced to just a film gathering exercise.
If it has, that’s very sad.

There's just something about fall HS football that can't be replicated in the spring. Hot weather in late August and early Sept. Cold weather in October and into the playoffs. The beginning of the school year. College and pro football being played as well. It's part of our seasonal rhythm.

In terms of what to keep, I completely agree with those who have mentioned the matchups we rarely, if ever, see in the fall.

Pros of Spring:

• Seniors get something.

Cons of Spring:

• Not nearly enough prep time for a true football season.
• “Scrimmages” played in near empty stadiums
• Sloppy football
• 32 degrees at the final whistle last night
• Not from the players, but from many different aspects; lack of... I don’t know what to call it... Urgency? Gravity? Captivation?

It’s a shadow of its former self.

Reactions: McCaravan
ADVERTISEMENT