ADVERTISEMENT

Q of the Week: Odds of IHSA Football happening this spring?

Odds of us playing IHSA Football this spring?

• 100 percent- it's on!

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • 90 percent- We will be rewady to go

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • 80 percent- confident we will have football

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • 70 percent- pretty sure it will happen this spring

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • 60-50 percent- It might happen

Votes: 42 30.7%
  • 50 percent and below- we are still a long ways off from playing

Votes: 59 43.1%

• Total voters
Just not feeling it Tim. I think the decision upcoming on winter sports - particularly wrestling and basketball will go a long way in what we can expect in the spring.

So Anderson is on the record this past week saying they will greenlight basketball even if it means no fans and masks, because they have to do it for the kids. Barring the entire winter season being cancelled by the state, I don't see how they could possibly greenlight basketball and other winter sports but take away football/other outdoor sports in spring and summer. Tall about political suicide.

If we are talking about IDPH saying no winter sports at all...that certainly is a possibility

Reactions: Schwab54
Purely speculation... I feel like with treatments starting to be approved and headway being made with a vaccine there is a better chance now than a month ago.

Reactions: sporthog9er
Until we start getting more public high school districts getting more students actually in their buildings for in-person instruction, I just can not see the doors being thrown open to indoor practices and contests for the next season of sports. Bad optics. This cancellation would then not bode well for football in the following season even thought you would think the two would be independent. I would not rule out certain politics creating a "if no basketball, then no football" mentality.

Reactions: Lead_Senator
So Anderson is on the record this past week saying they will greenlight basketball even if it means no fans and masks, because they have to do it for the kids.

it was an interesting way for him to word things and all it did was confuse the matter even more. what he was referring to was whether or not fans can attend. BUT, before that is even in play, the idph has to first approve basketball, which seems like a long shot.

I just can not see the doors being thrown open to indoor practices and contests for the next season of sports. Bad optics.

you're not wrong. but i think it's important to note that school can be done virtually while basketball cannot.

Purely speculation... I feel like with treatments starting to be approved and headway being made with a vaccine there is a better chance now than a month ago.

I like the optimism and it appears there may be a vaccine by Jan/ Feb which would be great but everything I’ve seen says it will take 6-8 months to get it out to enough of general population that things can begin to normalize. If that’s true I don’t see how we have spring football.

Reactions: Gene K.
I like the optimism and it appears there may be a vaccine by Jan/ Feb which would be great but everything I’ve seen says it will take 6-8 months to get it out to enough of general population that things can begin to normalize. If that’s true I don’t see how we have spring football.
I’m gonna use my work situation as a guide. We’re home until June. If a large company (and we’re not the only) doesn’t feel comfortable bringing back 3,000 people into their campus until next summer then I view it as a long drawn process to normalcy.

Reactions: Gene K.
I could be wrong but I'm feeling that the only reason we are not playing football in IL when it is going on all around us is because Pritzker could not appear to oppose his political friends in the CTU and approve football when the CTU says they cannot even have in person classes. If correct, and Pritzker is simply making a political decision, the CTU actually will indirectly determine what happens in the spring.

Covid isn’t going anywhere, even with a vaccine you can’t force people to get it. I recently had Covid. In my occupation it was bound to happen. I lost my sense of smell and I had the same symptoms of a bad cold for a couple days. That was it. I’m 49, I have high blood pressure, I work a high stress job, and I got a runny nose and and I can’t smell my own farts for a few more weeks I’m hearing. I’m part of the lucky 99% that fully recovered. To those who have had worse conditions or God Forbid loss someone from this I apologize if I’m coming across as unsympathetic, I’m just trying to say I’m not the poster boy for health and I don’t have the immune system of a teenager and I felt a lot worse from cases of the flu I’ve had in my life. Sports can be played. Let’s see what kind of mood our Governor is in after the election.

Covid isn’t going anywhere, even with a vaccine you can’t force people to get it. I recently had Covid. In my occupation it was bound to happen. I lost my sense of smell and I had the same symptoms of a bad cold for a couple days. That was it. I’m 49, I have high blood pressure, I work a high stress job, and I got a runny nose and and I can’t smell my own farts for a few more weeks I’m hearing. I’m part of the lucky 99% that fully recovered. To those who have had worse conditions or God Forbid loss someone from this I apologize if I’m coming across as unsympathetic, I’m just trying to say I’m not the poster boy for health and I don’t have the immune system of a teenager and I felt a lot worse from cases of the flu I’ve had in my life. Sports can be played. Let’s see what kind of mood our Governor is in after the election.

If having Covid means you can’t smell farts I’m sure my wife is looking into getting it as we speak.

There will be fall data to support playing high school in the spring. Plus vaccines and therapeutic treatments will be available.

They just moved basketball to the high risk level. Sorry guys but their isn’t gonna be football anytime soon. Sucks but it’s where we are at.

ADVERTISEMENT