ADVERTISEMENT

Q: Best IHSA Football Rivalries

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Was asked about this earlier this week and figured we could throw this annual thread a round a bit. Feel free to list older rivalries, newer ones and such.

Reactions: Kayden39
Hopefully it will happen again one day soon

In the next few years it will happen, WWS was not to thrilled to have to end the series when the DVC changed but with the new conference they are back to two non conference games to start the year.

St.Patrick vs Holy Cross (before HC's demise)

St.Patrick vs Notre Dame

Joliet Catholic vs Providence Catholic

Mt.Carmel vs St.Rita

Brother Rice vs Marist

Loyola Academy vs New Trier
I am new to the Loyola community, but I am a little surprised by Loyola vs New Trier rivalry, maybe it has been better in the past, but to me it felt like the mount carmel game was more hyped this year. Would love to hear more about the rivalry, especially because I am new.

Stevenson and Lake Zurich

Oswego and Oswego East (I know East hasent won - but huge game for the community)

Waubonsie and Neuqua.

Bishop McNamara - Herscher
McNamara - Bradley Bourbonnais - Kankakee
Wilmington - Coal City
Manteno - Peotone ...the Route 50 Rumble
Momence - Clifton Central
Wilmington - Manteno relatively new
'14 & '15 undefeated matchup week 9 as large/small champs

McNamara - Manteno would quickly become one if they were to be stuck together in a district...historically, until about 20 years ago (when Manteno's enrollment exploded) about 10% of Manteno 8th graders went to Mac...

I'm confused/intrigued, would you be able to explain this more?

Ever since I can remember there have been numerous amounts of people complaining about playing at Marian. To say that the refs have given them some home cookin would be an understatement. Everyone considers playing there terrible and probably ups the rivalry for certain schools. When I played there we were up 13-7 going into half and MCC had a 4th and long, refs called a phantom late hit on the QB when the whistle hadn't blown and they score next play. When my brother played there we recovered a fumble on a kickoff and the refs inexplicably ruled a re-kick...It's really unbelievable how often stuff like that happens for visiting fans. I know anyone in the old SCC hated playing there because of not only the refs but the fans, warming up in the dark on a field infested by mosquitoes, 2 hour drive in friday traffic, etc. Its a huuuuge home field advantage for them. I would say maybe one of the top 5 toughest places to play a road game.

Do they still have the checkerboard endzone? I remember thinking that was one of the coolest things about playing there. First school I can remember that had that when we were in high school.

I'm sure Naz and Montini fans can add to the list.

Reactions: lkhammer57
Ever since I can remember there have been numerous amounts of people complaining about playing at Marian. To say that the refs have given them some home cookin would be an understatement. Everyone considers playing there terrible and probably ups the rivalry for certain schools. When I played there we were up 13-7 going into half and MCC had a 4th and long, refs called a phantom late hit on the QB when the whistle hadn't blown and they score next play. When my brother played there we recovered a fumble on a kickoff and the refs inexplicably ruled a re-kick...It's really unbelievable how often stuff like that happens for visiting fans. I know anyone in the old SCC hated playing there because of not only the refs but the fans, warming up in the dark on a field infested by mosquitoes, 2 hour drive in friday traffic, etc. Its a huuuuge home field advantage for them. I would say maybe one of the top 5 toughest places to play a road game.

Do they still have the checkerboard endzone? I remember thinking that was one of the coolest things about playing there. First school I can remember that had that when we were in high school.

Oh! Now I get what you're saying! Yeah George Harding Field being on a swamp in the late part of August and early September always proved to be a pain in the butt, even for us! We would have kids dads come in and spray that field multiple times before those games and still nothing would stop the bugs. Also, the second that ran would hit that field, it would immediately change the game. Look at that Naz game from a couple years ago, Naz hands down had way more talent, but that muddy track was perfect for the MCC road grader running back in Emmitt Piesert.
I am not 100% sure if they have the checkerboard end zones anymore, I believe they either have only one endzone with them or they only do the checkerboard in white and no longer fill it in with red (like they used to). I haven't been to many games since I was there, due to coaching at LA and playing in college. Those endzones were the BEST back in the day!

Reactions: MR. "T"

A lot of work painting those end zones for every home game. A lot of hard working parents working at it on Thursday nights till midnight at times. I missed those times. I didn't get to help much, had to work bingo. Eagles, if you don't mind me asking, which school did you play for?

A lot of work painting those end zones for every home game. A lot of hard working parents working at it on Thursday nights till midnight at times. I missed those times. I didn't get to help much, had to work bingo. Eagles, if you don't mind me asking, which school did you play for?
I went to IC. I played there fall '99 my brother played there in 2008 when IC won state. That was one of my all time favorite games. IC won 14-7. If you remember Budmayr got hurt the previous week. If he doesn't go down I'm not sure IC wins state because they don't make the playoffs.

I went to IC. I played there fall '99 my brother played there in 2008 when IC won state. That was one of my all time favorite games. IC won 14-7. If you remember Budmayr got hurt the previous week. If he doesn't go down I'm not sure IC wins state because they don't make the playoffs.
Oh @MR. "T" and I will never forget that. Got hurt against North Chicago, a game that was an easy W first week of the season. I believe we went into the year Ranked #1 in 5a. That could have been a really good 3 year stretch. The year before they lost to Morris in the semis by 1 and the year before they lost to SHG in the state championship game.

Reactions: MR. "T"
Jon got hurt in the first game of the season against North Chicago, resulting in losing are starting QB and are best WR because he had to take over at QB. Then we lost in a close one to Cary Grove then to IC. Then 3 losses to Driscoll away, (home cooking), Montini away, with must win home loss on MCC's field, 21 to 7, to the eventual 5A champ St. Francis. That put us at 4&5 with close to 60 playoff points and not making the playoffs. MCC's team that year would have been my vote for the best team that didn't make the play offs. I remember telling some of your players if they stay focused there is no reason why they shouldn't win state in 2A!

Oh @MR. "T" and I will never forget that. Got hurt against North Chicago, a game that was an easy W first week of the season. I believe we went into the year Ranked #1 in 5a. That could have been a really good 3 year stretch. The year before they lost to Morris in the semis by 1 and the year before they lost to SHG in the state championship game.
Yeah than after that is when the Montini dynasty really started to take off!

Reactions: Gene K.
Yeah than after that is when the Montini dynasty really started to take off!
Who knows what could have happened if there's another deep run or championship in 08 considering the '11 and '12 teams players were in 8th grade and freshman that year. Think about the extra kids that could have been attracted to MCC if there was a title in 08. No offense to the 10 and 09 teams, both of which were talented, (10 probably being the best chance at a title too) but everyone knows the 11 and 12 teams were loaded and had a chance to do something huge. That could have been a hell of an era, still great but it had the makings to really take it up a notch.

I am new to the Loyola community, but I am a little surprised by Loyola vs New Trier rivalry, maybe it has been better in the past, but to me it felt like the mount carmel game was more hyped this year. Would love to hear more about the rivalry, especially because I am new.

Before boys and girls hockey and lacrosse took center stage in the overall LA vs NT athletic rivalry, and before LA went coed in the mid 90s, the LA vs NT football rivalry was pretty big stuff.

There was a time back in the 80s (and possibly late 70s if my failing memory serves me correctly) when LA and NT had a week one non-con football regular season series that lasted for several years. Legend has it that the series was cancelled by mutual agreement because the two teams would get so up for the game and beat each other up so badly on the field, leaving both teams in bad shape emotionally and physically for the remainder of the season.

Since that series concluded, the two schools have faced each other in the playoffs only, leaving the possibility of facing each other only in those years when both schools qualified for the playoffs and when the playoff brackets happen to require a game before both schools get eliminated.. That has happened once in the last 11 years and only four times since the playoffs began in 1974.

I think it is fair to say that the LA/NT football rivalry has lost its luster due to the infrequency of playing against each other. Now that the regular season series has been renewed next fall, look for the luster to return.

Before boys and girls hockey and lacrosse took center stage in the overall LA vs NT athletic rivalry, and before LA went coed in the mid 90s, the LA vs NT football rivalry was pretty big stuff.

There was a time back in the 80s (and possibly late 70s if my failing memory serves me correctly) when LA and NT had a week one non-con football regular season series that lasted for several years. Legend has it that the series was cancelled by mutual agreement because the two teams would get so up for the game and beat each other up so badly on the field, leaving both teams in bad shape emotionally and physically for the remainder of the season.

Since that series concluded, the two schools have faced each other in the playoffs only, leaving the possibility of facing each other only in those years when both schools qualified for the playoffs and when the playoff brackets happen to require a game before both schools get eliminated.. That has happened once in the last 11 years and only four times since the playoffs began in 1974.

I think it is fair to say that the LA/NT football rivalry has lost its luster due to the infrequency of playing against each other. Now that the regular season series has been renewed next fall, look for the luster to return.
I love the history! I am looking forward to seeing this rivalry pick up again this year, just talked to a guy while getting my oil changed and it sounds like people are getting pretty excited about it.

Batavia vs Geneva is my current favorite. Something about being right down the Fox is awesomeness.

Fans of the teams should take boats to the game, right down the river, and plant flags as they land.

For about 5 years just before its eventual closing, LW North and Richards developed a real rivalry. The two were regularly meeting in the 6A playoffs then began a non-con series which actually led to multiple meetings in at least one season. This pairing is now becoming a distant memory.

Hinsdale Central vs. Lyons Township.

Border rivals, huge schools, both very well-educated and well-funded school systems so you'd assume that it would be a classic "friendly rivalry" where both sides hug and sing "Kumbaya" after the game.

Nope. They just hate each other. Period.

Not interested in looking up the overall series, I'm sure HC has the edge. But last year was ridunkulous. LT went in favored with one of their best teams ever, HC took a 2 TD lead, HC came back for the lead, LT went back and scored at the end of game but couldn't get the 2-point conversion. Just a great game.

HC will be huge favorites. LT lost 18 of 22 starters including Bryant.

CoM vs JCA mid to late 2000's it seemed like every year it was a game that decided conference champs. 2003 gm was featured on ESPN and believe both won state that yr. 2010 was another classic with 3 D 1 RB's Malin Jones, Josh Ferguson and ty Isaac.

ADVERTISEMENT