ADVERTISEMENT

Public Schools All In-Person

Formicidae13

Aug 9, 2019
Are any public schools up north having full in-person learning? Or any rumblings of going that way?

Triad High School(in Troy, which neighbors Edwardsville) down here in the south just announced they are going to transition to five days a week in-person learning at the start of November. They are typically in 5A for football, so they are a fairly sizeable school. I figure if more decisions like this are made(whether you agree with them or not), there will be some momentum rolling in favor of sports being played

Reactions: Gene K.
On Monday morning, a daily newspaper in Lake County, Illinois (News-Sun) main Page 1 banner headline indicated that remote learning is here for the short term, and possibly for a much longer term, including stretching into the 2021-2022 school year.
Monday's COVID-13 report indicated that Lake/McHenry County racked up positive tests at a pct. of 8.1. That number has been steadily rising in the past 10 days. If that number continues above 8, I think but am not positive by any means so please correct this if it's wrong .... but I think if the positive test rate stays above 8 pct. for like a week, then that region gets new restrictions and I again think but am not positive that one of the restrictions means gatherings of 25 or fewer people.
That number of 25 certainly would mean a delay in the next round of high school sports because it would be hard to find an indoor sport in which no more than 25 people total were in the gym or the swimming pool or the fieldhouse at the same time. I think that some of the areas in the state are already under the 25-person limit.
On another thread, I read about a survey regarding Wisconsin football and the indication that playing that sport does not drive any sort of increase in coronavirus. That's good. The bad right now is that positives in regard to virus testing in Illinois in the past seven days are at an all-time high. That is, higher than for any seven-day period in March, April, May, etc.
The argument that the 25-person limit shouldn't include teenagers because their rate of infection and more importantly serious/fatal illness is miniscule ... well, I get that totally. I just rear right now that the upcoming announcement about the next round of high school sports is not going to be a good one.

Monday's COVID-13 report indicated that Lake/McHenry County racked up positive tests at a pct. of 8.1. That number has been steadily rising in the past 10 days. If that number continues above 8, I think but am not positive by any means so please correct this if it's wrong .... but I think if the positive test rate stays above 8 pct. for like a week, then that region gets new restrictions and I again think but am not positive that one of the restrictions means gatherings of 25 or fewer people

One of the metrics that triggers additional mitigation is if a region is over 8% for 3 straight days. Region 9 (includes McHenry), is at day 1 of 3. There are other factors too though. Region 10 (suburban Cook), is going on "probation" Wednesday because of hospital admissions, but they haven't hit 8% yet.

Specific to sports, the first round of extra mitigations don't change anything. The guidelines released on August 15th still apply.

My kids were in a hybrid situation with 2 days in-school, 3 days remote each week. With the increase in DuPage County cases, they went backwards to full remote last week. Supposed to be for only 2 weeks, but I'll believe that when I see it.

One of the metrics that triggers additional mitigation is if a region is over 8% for 3 straight days. Region 9 (includes McHenry), is at day 1 of 3. There are other factors too though. Region 10 (suburban Cook), is going on "probation" Wednesday because of hospital admissions, but they haven't hit 8% yet.

Specific to sports, the first round of extra mitigations don't change anything. The guidelines released on August 15th still apply.

My kids were in a hybrid situation with 2 days in-school, 3 days remote each week. With the increase in DuPage County cases, they went backwards to full remote last week. Supposed to be for only 2 weeks, but I'll believe that when I see it.
Superintendents and school boards want the minimum of hybrid. If they already started down that path like you say, then it will only be the 2 weeks stated unless there are more flare ups.

Wheaton schools are fours hours in class every day for elementary and hybrid for Middle and high school. The decision has been made they aren’t turning back unless the state shuts them down.

Reactions: IgorStL and Gene K.
Wheaton schools are fours hours in class every day for elementary and hybrid for Middle and high school. The decision has been made they aren’t turning back unless the state shuts them down.
What do they do with the elementary kids after 4 hours? Just send them home? After school care for parents that are working? Curious of the logistics

What do they do with the elementary kids after 4 hours? Just send them home? After school care for parents that are working? Curious of the logistics

9am- 1pm school day but they do have limited before and after school programs. They shrunk the size this year due to social distancing.

Reactions: PowerI66
co-worker sits on the Antioch school board and he said they are saying they will be w-learning for 2-3 years.He just bought a house 6miles north in WI.

ADVERTISEMENT