ADVERTISEMENT

Privates in 3A Sectional Wrestling

woody6

Jun 24, 2016
At the Hinsdale Central site today 12 of 14 championships were won by a private school wrestler. Also, of 56 qualifiers for the state meet, 62.5% private representatives. These spots were courtesy of the likes of Montini, Mt. Carmel, Marmion and Marist. Discussion?

Paging BBC/HHS.... opps wait / it’s large schools,... he doesn’t care about large schools.

Dodged a bullet on that one. This would be like catnip for BBC/HHS if smaller schools involved.

Kids from private schools are better wrestlers in 2018? The answer is yes - at least at HC on 10 February 2018.

Marist is a shell since their wrestling backers left a few years back. They are no better than Lemont or Oak Forest and probably worse at this point.

Wrestling is the dirtiest sport in the IHSA when it comes to transfers. Throw in Sandburg, OPRF, Glenbard North and Washington. There is a lot to go around.

Some poster went on a rant how no one does more with less than Izzy over at Montini. While I do not doubt he can coach, it was pointed out almost every wrestler in his lineup was a kids state champ and the few who were not placed.

Reactions: FalconPadre
In 1A,Althoff sends six champions and two others to state. This includes the number 1 despite class at 160 and his twin at 182 pounds, who is number three all classes. Both are heading to U of I to wrestle.

Meanwhile, single-digit win Althoff hoops preps for the 4a Regional.

Five wrestlers from the DVC at 170 lbs are going to state. That has to be a record. State will be a mini DVC tournament at that weight.

Rice got 3 Sectional Champs and 1 3rd place at Hinsdale South (2A) Rita had no sectional champs but 9 total qualifiers and DeLaSalle had a bunch too and St Laurence got 2 in

For years, Montini was the only Catholic high school in Dupage county that had a wrestling team. St. Francis, Benet, IC up until two years ago didi not. I don't think Driscoll had it either. So, any boy headed to a Catholic H.S. that was looking for wrestling went to Montini. No recruiting necessary. Wasn't hard to not build the traditional power that they still are today.

Reactions: Gene K.
For years, Montini was the only Catholic high school in Dupage county that had a wrestling team. St. Francis, Benet, IC up until two years ago didi not. I don't think Driscoll had it either. So, any boy headed to a Catholic H.S. that was looking for wrestling went to Montini. No recruiting necessary. Wasn't hard to not build the traditional power that they still are today.

Driscoll had it - the Randich brothers did well.
I believe Benet had it and dropped it. Maybe someone can enlighten me.
St Francis has had it in some capacity since the 70s.
And Montini ascent is essentially tied to Coach Bukovsky.

In 1A,Althoff sends six champions and two others to state. This includes the number 1 despite class at 160 and his twin at 182 pounds, who is number three all classes. Both are heading to U of I to wrestle.

Meanwhile, single-digit win Althoff hoops preps for the 4a Regional.

Another 10 wrestlers (6 Sectional Champions) from Aurora Christian qualified in Class 1A...

106 - Joel Mylin- 1st place
113 - Tyler Eby - 1st place
120 - Cam Johnson - 1st place
126 - Noah Villerreal - 1st place
138 - Zeke Marshall - 1st place
145 - Eli Ibarra - 1st place
152 - JC Gonzales - 2nd place
160 - Jack Certa - 2nd place
182 - Julian Jaimes - 3rd place
220 - Angel Jaimes - 3rd place

This year is no different. OPRF sending nine boys to State

I believe 2 of their better kids did not wrestle the state series either. When they won a few years ago something like 10 of their 14 kids went to Junior High outside of their district.

Good luck to all the wrestlers at state tomorrow. Especially those that can play multiple sports and still achieve that goal!

I did not see the video ... heard some scoring to take it to OT might have been questionable. Would have been his third straight state title.

I was impressed that the B twins teched through the tourney. Sounded like they'd get the takedown, some back points and then release and repeat. The 160-pounder's weekend scoring was something like 77-15, including surrendering eight points in the final, compared to his 23.

One match was 17-2, another 18-3 ...I imagined pro wrestling when the villain has pummeled the weakling and covers for a count of two, then pulls their opponent's shoulders off the mat by their hair.

Driscoll had it - the Randich brothers did well.
I believe Benet had it and dropped it. Maybe someone can enlighten me.
St Francis has had it in some capacity since the 70s.
And Montini ascent is essentially tied to Coach Bukovsky.

SF had wrestling for years and dropped the program in the early 90s. They brought it back a few years ago around 2011 I think. SF had the Spartan Invite for years and it was a huge meet, but they stopped hosting it a few years before unloading the program. Not sure about Benet. I know Benet had wrestling but not sure when or why they dropped the sport.

Montini has always had wrestling and had some good wrestlers but it was Bukovsky that took the program to new heights.

Fox Valley had it's share of success at state. Every team in the Fox had a placer winner...every team.

Our very own Cadin Koepple took 3rd at 220.

Other Fox valley football names most would know
Austin Ernd braden ,Bisram, and the O'Donnell brothers from Crystal Lake Central were all big parts of the Tiger's success on the field and on the mat. They also had their frosh/soph qb, Cadien Ernd make state as a freshman.

South's Dom Collado even wrestled this year.

Also, one of my very first posts here, I referenced a kid I thought was related to Samson Evans at PR's from their frosh/soph team, kid was a tackling machine after we played them. Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone here, he's also a beast on the mat. Kid qualified for state as a freshman at 160. If he keeps playing football, there's your next star LB at PR.

In 2A St. Rita yesterday had a third place finish at the state finals under 1st year coach Mike Boyd. St. Rita only had two seniors on this year’s squad. Solid lower levels. Maybe in the near future they will be able to compete with the big boys.

In 2A St. Rita yesterday had a third place finish at the state finals under 1st year coach Mike Boyd. St. Rita only had two seniors on this year’s squad. Solid lower levels. Maybe in the near future they will be able to compete with the big boys.

From the tribune:
Six freshmen won matches Saturday for St. Rita, which gave first-year coach Mike Boyd plenty to be proud of.

"These are the first group of guys that believed in me, so to see them come through like this is huge," Boyd said. "Coming here, I told the guys I hate to lose and I expect to win. They expect to win now, too, and it's awesome."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ct-sta-wrestling-state-st-0226-2-20180225-story.html

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT