ADVERTISEMENT

Prep Bowl

You love to make opinions sound like facts. Their great BR soph QB would benefit with more reps if they were to lose first round this year. The prep bowl benefitted the young SR team this year. Two frosh started in the prep bowl. Now they had varsity tape sooner rather than later. And football is a funny game, you’ll never know when an opportunity presents itself; extending the season presents more of those opportunities and 7th and 8th grade parents understand that even if you don’t.

Maybe Bean’s backup could’ve received more reps in 2017 that could have helped them in the state championship game. We will never know.

Agree. I'm not sure how someone can argue that getting extra practice and reps is a bad thing for a football program.

You love to make opinions sound like facts. Their great BR soph QB would benefit with more reps if they were to lose first round this year. The prep bowl benefitted the young SR team this year. Two frosh started in the prep bowl. Now they had varsity tape sooner rather than later. And football is a funny game, you’ll never know when an opportunity presents itself; extending the season presents more of those opportunities and 7th and 8th grade parents understand that even if you don’t.

Maybe Bean’s backup could’ve received more reps in 2017 that could have helped them in the state championship game. We will never know.

Bean's back up playing a half or quarter against D or Hubbard is gonna help him against Loyola in the state championship a year later?
Not saying it's a bad thing but an extra week or two practicing in this shit doesnt guarentee anything 9 months from now if the off season isn't hit hard.
Brown was gonna break out this year regardless if he played against some crappy teams last year or not.
Theres plenty of successful programs that never have gone into a prep bowl round.
That being said who makes the decision at Rice not to go in? Coach or he let players decide?

Bean's back up playing a half or quarter against D or Hubbard is gonna help him against Loyola in the state championship a year later?
Not saying it's a bad thing but an extra week or two practicing in this shit doesnt guarentee anything 9 months from now if the off season isn't hit hard.
Brown was gonna break out this year regardless if he played against some crappy teams last year or not.
Theres plenty of successful programs that never have gone into a prep bowl round.
That being said who makes the decision at Rice not to go in? Coach or he let players decide?
KB point is valid. But not everyone is KB. All your other points are speculation and dismissive of football. I think football is good and important and more football is better.

Reactions: IgorStL
KB point is valid. But not everyone is KB. All your other points are speculation and dismissive of football. I think football is good and important and more football is better.

I'm for more playing too especially for the kids that dont get in a ton during the season but it doesn't always means future success. You're points aren't facts either, maybe Rice's backup would have gotten more valuable experience or maybe Bean would have sustained a serious injury.
Anyways I hope to be driving to Sterling or Marian next week and not have to worry bout hosting D.

Reactions: superac777
I'm for more playing too especially for the kids that dont get in a ton during the season but it doesn't always means future success. You're points aren't facts either, maybe Rice's backup would have gotten more valuable experience or maybe Bean would have sustained a serious injury.
Anyways I hope to be driving to Sterling or Marian next week and not have to worry bout hosting D.
Which is why I said we will never know. Onto GBS!

Are they any good? Seen couple things saying Rita should blow them out.
Yes St. Rita should win. But after watching St. Rita playoff heartbreaks the last 40 plus years, I don’t take anything for granted in games played by 15-18 year olds and an oblong, round ball

Yes St. Rita should win. But after watching St. Rita playoff heartbreaks the last 40 plus years, I don’t take anything for granted in games played by 15-18 year olds and an oblong, round ball
Of course never know, that Rockford game still fresh on my mind.
Out of curiosity I looked at what Rita would be in 7a if things have gone better last year. Believe they would have been 16 seed with a potential 2nd round game at Carmel. How fun would that have been over Sterling?

Prep Bowl play and practice has greatly benefitted Ignatius over the last 4 years. Just as Loyola has benefited by playing in and practicing for 20 postseason games the last four years.

That is laughable. Bean could be barely walk and they did not go away from playing him. They probably should have, but that is another argument. Lighting up someone like Taft in the 4th quarter of a running clock game the year before would have made no difference in the outcome last year.

Agree. I'm not sure how someone can argue that getting extra practice and reps is a bad thing for a football program.

I am saying it did not impact Brother Rices season by not playing in the prep bowl playoffs in 2017. Which I am correct on.

That is laughable. Bean could be barely walk and they did not go away from playing him. They probably should have, but that is another argument. Lighting up someone like Taft in the 4th quarter of a running clock game the year before would have made no difference in the outcome last year.
I am saying it did not impact Brother Rices season by not playing in the prep bowl playoffs in 2017. Which I am correct on.
The only thing laughable is your underestimation of how valuable 20 more practices, 4 more film sessions and 4 more games are for athletes in their most important years of athletic development, 13-18 years old, where potential meets reality.

My memory of SR v Taft will be seeing a team smile, seeing some underplayed seniors who would never play on a football team again, some scoring and leaving with great memories.

Save your retort about the experience stinking for Taft. Those are great young coaches over there that were able to show their program a measuring stick. Pick up the book on former ESL legendary coach Bob Shannon, The Right Kind of Heroes. In it, Coach Shannon told the story of losing 48-0 to St. Rita in the 1978 state playoffs as a turning point, as a learning moment. He established a friendship with St. Rita Coach Pat Cronin, sharing information on off season workouts, training and practices.

And neither of us are correct. We just will never know.

IIRC, by the end of the 2017 season, the mood had soured at BR (2-7!) and everyone was happy to mentally move on.

They also lost multiple junior starters to season ending injuries in 2017. Summers (collarbone), McMahon (ACL), McCoy (ACL) and Bean (injury late in year vs Rita?).

IIRC, by the end of the 2017 season, the mood had soured at BR (2-7!) and everyone was happy to mentally move on.

I’m looking forward to next years prep bowl thread and rock soup passionate display on how important these prep bowl games are.

You have my vote for Prep Bowl commissioner.

I do like the idea of having the game at st. Xavs.

Running clock at gately during thanksgiving just isn’t as exciting as it sounds.

Speaking of Bean's back up, anyone know where Colin Smyth went?

I’m looking forward to next years prep bowl thread and rock soup passionate display on how important these prep bowl games are.

You have my vote for Prep Bowl commissioner.

I do like the idea of having the game at st. Xavs.

Running clock at gately during thanksgiving just isn’t as exciting as it sounds.
Do I do this lecture every year? My bad.

Thanks I guess?

Same

I’ve probably gone to 20? Prep bowls in the last 40+ years. Don’t matter who’s playing, my Dad took me and I took my kids. It’s a way I say goodbye to the season. Cool to see Tovey (SR OT) thank the seniors on Coach’s Corner for playing the prep bowl last year so Thanksgiving weekend last year was meaningful to him.

When my son was a teenager, he voted to go to school 4 days a week, I didn’t listen to him. I made him go to school 5 days a week. Different strokes for different folks Queen.

Reactions: Queen4
Do I do this lecture every year? My bad.

Thanks I guess?

Same

I’ve probably gone to 20? Prep bowls in the last 40+ years. Don’t matter who’s playing, my Dad took me and I took my kids. It’s a way I say goodbye to the season. Cool to see Tovey (SR OT) thank the seniors on Coach’s Corner for playing the prep bowl last year so Thanksgiving weekend last year was meaningful to him.

When my son was a teenager, he voted to go to school 4 days a week, I didn’t listen to him. I made him go to school 5 days a week. Different strokes for different folks Queen.

Love hearing the bond football created with you and your sons.

Makes total sense why this game means something special to you.

Best of luck to Rita this week.

You guys do know that every team in the IHSA can practice up until the state games no matter what.
I will admit had no idea, thought was like a grandfather in thing. Makes sense, wouldn't think they'd let ccl teams get another "advantage".
If the time is so valuable like some say, do any other schools practice til then?

You guys do know that every team in the IHSA can practice up until the state games no matter what.
In the 60's before the CCL joined the IHSA teams not involved in the prep bowl playoff did practice. Seniors turned in their equipment and freshmen moved up. Hitting was curtailed some but sophomores and juniors became the 1st and 2nd strings. Scrimaged till friday before Thanksgiving. All equipment and uniforms had to be returned Monday of Thanksgiving week. Winter workouts started in earnest the Monday after Thanksgiving
Spring practice was 4 weeks of hitting with scrimmages against other teams on the 3rd and 4th Friday's

Last edited:
St. Rita tied last year’s Prep Bowl appearance into their 1st Round playoff video for this week.

Reactions: Gene K.
Some one is reading Edgy's Lost His Mind Free Football Board. I recognize a lot of quotes for this board in the video. Pretty sharp.
They’re media team is pretty good but I’m always surprised when posters are surprised that teams would look at Edgy’s site or that more people look at this site than the normal 20 or so posters here. Edgy’s site has taken over the trib and S-T as a HS football publication

The one thing I’ve learned with my near decade here, and what I hear in the stands, more people lurk on this site than you can imagine even if they pretend they never heard of this site. Just my opinion. I liked the video. A tad too long but it’s a HS production and it looked pretty professional.

St, Pats, Iggy, Laurence, DLS. 4 solid teams with Laurence the favorite. Have fun boys! End the season with a W!

Reactions: IgorStL
St, Pats, Iggy, Laurence, DLS. 4 solid teams with Laurence the favorite. Have fun boys! End the season with a W!
I forgot Sparta from Marian Catholic. So I would say, St. Laurence with the bye, pats at Iggy and DLS at Marian Catholic. Or some combination like that. I’m sure Stella will release when they know

Edit: maybe just pats at DLS (or vice versa) with Marian south StL and Iggy with byes. Then that creates a semifinal after next week. That makes more sense

@IgorStL @superac777

So we got the annual “Who cares” post. Times like these, I like to employ the Rock Rule: 98%.

The rule states: Understand 98% of the readers of Edgy are intelligent, caring humans, in short, good people.

They can read Crisp’s unfortunate post and determine that Crisp went out of their way to post in a thread, whose title clearly states the post’s subject matter, one admittedly Crisp cares nothing about, only to disparage a game played by 15-18 year olds and to insult the adults who still follow the traditional tournament started by their great-great grandparents.

Also, this means 2% of the readership looked at Crisp’s post and said “yeah, who cares, that was a great post”. They, too, should have some self-reflection this gorgeous Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT