ADVERTISEMENT

Prayers

sporthog9er

Jun 9, 2001
Tragic loss of a stellar Glenbrook North student and football player. School was notified by principal tonight. Prayers for his family and the community.

Reactions: McCaravan
I've seen a lot of love for this kid on Twitter, this one really hits home. I also see, locally, who hasn't shown any love.

My biggest fear and concern right now is also what has been the biggest concern still....is how things could go down over the next month or two in regards to the potential of no IHSA Spring Football. We all need to make a concerted effort to make sure these kids are being heard, feeling encouraged to be open, honest and upfront about this entire ordeal and how they can find help and find someone they can talk to about all of this.

My biggest fear and concern right now is also what has been the biggest concern still....is how things could go down over the next month or two in regards to the potential of no IHSA Spring Football. We all need to make a concerted effort to make sure these kids are being heard, feeling encouraged to be open, honest and upfront about this entire ordeal and how they can find help and find someone they can talk to about all of this.

I totally agree edgy! Let’s make sure these kids are heard and get help if necessary. Damn covid is taking life’s more ways than one. Damn.

Since you made the comment about being heard, how crazy is it that the only MSM source in Chicago that has even mentioned this story on social media is Sandra Torres at NBC?

And not surprisingly, the two biggest HS sportswriters in the Chicago newspaper business haven’t touched it

Maybe media coverage has changed but in the past when a life ended this way it was not covered unless it was a celebrity.
The current climate of our high school athletics combined with this political climate, as well as, being a suburban scholar athlete, but not just a good student, a top academic in the country makes it a story. His dad did an interview stating depression and the pandemic took its toll. Teenage suicide is a real story not one to hide from

Reactions: Blue Ruin
Not at all true
I do feel that the media has fallen short but the media has been so hammered with budget cuts again etc no one is left to do much of anything anymore....also I can see the medis just leaving it alone because let's face it....nothing new has changed in what almost a year now? Gets old asking the same questions and no getting any answers day after day after day

I’m still numb by this and learning more of the details of what happened churns my stomach. All we hear about is the impact on small business, the elderly and how no one from government and the IHSA can sit down and have a civil discussion.

I’ve said it before but the real adults in the room here are the kids. They’ve done everything they have been asked to do with out a hint of reward. They are a mere obstacle in this whole issue and not one person has addressed their mental well-being and the impact it is having.

maybe the more we talk about it something will change. But it crushes me that a moment like this forces all of us to think about it. I’m heartbroken for anyone that knew this young man. I’m feel devastated for his teammates and I have no words for his family. I can’t even imagine - I’d rather not.

if we can have one chat, post, tweet or discussion that calls attention to depression and teen suicide maybe that will help one kid, and one more and yet another.

I do feel that the media has fallen short but the media has been so hammered with budget cuts again etc no one is left to do much of anything anymore....also I can see the medis just leaving it alone because let's face it....nothing new has changed in what almost a year now? Gets old asking the same questions and no getting any answers day after day after day

I saw the story on the news this morning. Very sad.

I’m still numb by this and learning more of the details of what happened churns my stomach. All we hear about is the impact on small business, the elderly and how no one from government and the IHSA can sit down and have a civil discussion.

I’ve said it before but the real adults in the room here are the kids. They’ve done everything they have been asked to do with out a hint of reward. They are a mere obstacle in this whole issue and not one person has addressed their mental well-being and the impact it is having.

maybe the more we talk about it something will change. But it crushes me that a moment like this forces all of us to think about it. I’m heartbroken for anyone that knew this young man. I’m feel devastated for his teammates and I have no words for his family. I can’t even imagine - I’d rather not.

if we can have one chat, post, tweet or discussion that calls attention to depression and teen suicide maybe that will help one kid, and one more and yet another.
This is absolutely heart wrenching. I’m thankful, that of my 3 kids, my youngest is a sophomore in college. All 3 of my kids were extremely active in athletics at the grade school, and high school level, with 2 competing at the collegiate level. My wife and I have had numerous discussions over the course of the last 9 months regarding how this would have affected our kids if their sports and school life would have been taken away from them. Neither of us can begin to fathom the idea. I guess what really stings though, is the fact that so many states have found a way for it to happen. It blows my mind the way we have completely disregarded school aged kids in this state. Sad to say, I don’t think our billionaire governor loses a wink of sleep over stories like this, and that makes my blood boil.

This is absolutely heart wrenching. I’m thankful, that of my 3 kids, my youngest is a sophomore in college. All 3 of my kids were extremely active in athletics at the grade school, and high school level, with 2 competing at the collegiate level. My wife and I have had numerous discussions over the course of the last 9 months regarding how this would have affected our kids if their sports and school life would have been taken away from them. Neither of us can begin to fathom the idea. I guess what really stings though, is the fact that so many states have found a way for it to happen. It blows my mind the way we have completely disregarded school aged kids in this state. Sad to say, I don’t think our billionaire governor loses a wink of sleep over stories like this, and that makes my blood boil.

Well said Crispy. Well said. My daughter is a senior. Swam in the fall and guess what, it worked. They had practices, meets and team gatherings that followed the rules. She plays water polo. It’s her last chance to do so. My son played baseball last spring - his last chance on a team that had a realistic chance at contending for a state title.

To simply choose to not communicate and work on developing a plan is just unworthy of the leadership a governor should show in times of crisis. I’ve spent the better part of the last 50 years of my life involved in HS sports and to see it simply brushed aside with no attention is just disgusting.

I've mentioned it on this site before, but this was an issue well before the pandemic. The unfortunate reality is that numbers have been increasing year by year. Obviously, the current situation hasn't helped either.

Reactions: AmbroseBlack
Well said Crispy. Well said. My daughter is a senior. Swam in the fall and guess what, it worked. They had practices, meets and team gatherings that followed the rules. She plays water polo. It’s her last chance to do so. My son played baseball last spring - his last chance on a team that had a realistic chance at contending for a state title.

To simply choose to not communicate and work on developing a plan is just unworthy of the leadership a governor should show in times of crisis. I’ve spent the better part of the last 50 years of my life involved in HS sports and to see it simply brushed aside with no attention is just disgusting.
I remember how it affected your boy last year, and truly felt for him. I wish your kids the best, and hope your daughter has the chance to participate this spring. I’ve always chided my kids at how easy they have it with technology and things of that nature, but I’ve come full circle on that. It is beyond my comprehension how hard it is to be a kid in today’s world. I really do feel for them.

Reactions: Gene K.
I remember how it affected your boy last year, and truly felt for him. I wish your kids the best, and hope your daughter has the chance to participate this spring. I’ve always chided my kids at how easy they have it with technology and things of that nature, but I’ve come full circle on that. It is beyond my comprehension how hard it is to be a kid in today’s world. I really do feel for them.

Thanks crispy. Appreciate the kind words. All the best to you and yours and here’s to 2021 where we can finally talk football and leave this behind.

I'm tired of prayers and venting on a football board. How about doing something about this instead of just wringing your freaking hands about it.

Put a call into the governor's office and tell your friends and family to do the same and tell him enough is enough with the restrictions on high school sports. Same with the IHSA and IESA. And then call and email your school districts and show up at the board meetings or online when they have them and tell them to get off their ass and get these kids back on the field, the court, the classroom, etc.

And as far as the media goes, they have plenty of time and resources to keep pushing this narrative, I don't want to hear about budget cuts. Tell your local press people to get off their ass and get on these stories OR better yet look into who is still advertising with them and emall or call those businesses and tell them you want to know why they keep advertising with these outlets that continue to harm these kids by pushing a narrative to keep them locked down. And tell them you are going to boycott them and urge others to do so unless they pressure the media to stop with this bullshit.

When the **** is enough enough? How many more of these stories do we have to hear before WE THE PEOPLE CHANGE THE GOD DAMN NARRATIVE and if I get booted from this site, so be it. At least I go down fighting.

Fallen short sure, but I saw tweets from 4 MSM sources. So while you are correct the tweet I quoted was off.

I'm tired of prayers and venting on a football board. How about doing something about this instead of just wringing your freaking hands about it.

Put a call into the governor's office and tell your friends and family to do the same and tell him enough is enough with the restrictions on high school sports. Same with the IHSA and IESA. And then call and email your school districts and show up at the board meetings or online when they have them and tell them to get off their ass and get these kids back on the field, the court, the classroom, etc.

And as far as the media goes, they have plenty of time and resources to keep pushing this narrative, I don't want to hear about budget cuts. Tell your local press people to get off their ass and get on these stories OR better yet look into who is still advertising with them and emall or call those businesses and tell them you want to know why they keep advertising with these outlets that continue to harm these kids by pushing a narrative to keep them locked down. And tell them you are going to boycott them and urge others to do so unless they pressure the media to stop with this bullshit.

When the **** is enough enough? How many more of these stories do we have to hear before WE THE PEOPLE CHANGE THE GOD DAMN NARRATIVE and if I get booted from this site, so be it. At least I go down fighting.
Thank you, been calling these people since August, need more to do the same.

I've mentioned it on this site before, but this was an issue well before the pandemic. The unfortunate reality is that numbers have been increasing year by year. Obviously, the current situation hasn't helped either.

This is unfortunately true. I think from 2007 to 2016 the teen suicide rate almost doubled. Many educators, parents, students, and mental health professionals have talked about the need for increased support but it has fallen on deaf ears in some cases.

This is a tragic loss of life. I pray for the young man's family, teammates, and friends, but I hope we can look past just reinstating sports as the solution and make sure we are meeting our children's' mental health needs during and after this pandemic.

"Parents, go and hug your kids, and kids tell your parents you love them," he said. "These are the toughest of times right now for everyone, and the best thing we can do is support each other and let people in our lives know how much they are valued and loved. That’s what Dylan would do."

Glenbrook North, Head Football Coach
Matt Purdy

ADVERTISEMENT