ADVERTISEMENT

Possible extended Spring football season?

YDFan_2000

Jul 29, 2020
I just heard that the IHSA extended the golf and tennis fall season a week. I was thinking about this a while back, do you think there is a possibility they extend the spring football season and have it overlap with the "summer" sports and play into May? That way kids could have at least a 7 week season and full playoffs. I know it is a "big if" regarding spring football, but with so much football pressure on Pritzger and IHSA this fall, I was thinking that maybe they would be willing to extend the spring season. Thoughts?

Reactions: Daddio22
If they do get to play in the spring I would like to see an extended version since the weather is going to be terrible up front so it would be nice to get some good weather on the back end. I know kids would have to make a decisions since sports would over lap and there could be schedule concerns with multiple sports but I think it could be done considering the rarity of the situation.

If they do get to play in the spring I would like to see an extended version since the weather is going to be terrible up front so it would be nice to get some good weather on the back end. I know kids would have to make a decisions since sports would over lap and there could be schedule concerns with multiple sports but I think it could be done considering the rarity of the situation.
Exactly, I can't imagine, considering the rarity, any coaches will have a problem or the IHSA with letting a kid do what he/she can in terms of making it work.

A small problem happened with this last week. They moved the summer sports up from May 3rd to April 19th. If they extend the football season you will go deep into track, baseball, and more than likely wrestling(will be moved) you will have a ton of kids and coaches affected. And after the Spring sports got canceled last Spring

Reactions: Gene K.
A small problem happened with this last week. They moved the summer sports up from May 3rd to April 19th. If they extend the football season you will go deep into track, baseball, and more than likely wrestling(will be moved) you will have a ton of kids and coaches affected. And after the Spring sports got canceled last Spring

Kids who got their spring sports cancelled last year can opt of football and run track or play baseball. There is no good way to do this, I'd rather have the kids play less sports and get longer season instead of a bunch of condensed seasons.

At this point, I am sure kids will be willing to make sacrifices. They may be willing to give up lacrosse and/or baseball to extend football season a few more weeks and have a playoff. This is not ideal, however since football is the only sport that plays only once a week, I do think they need to look at extending it into the "summer" season and possibly end in late May. That way, the kids can have a 7 game season. Teams that are 5-2 and many 4-3 teams will make the playoffs. Playoffs start in late April and end by Memorial Day. I am not saying football should have more privileges then other sports, but I do feel anything less then a 7 game season and regular playoffs will not feel right for the kids. With baseball and Lacrosse, they could easily schedule 4-5 games a week and make up for a shorter season. Football does not have that luxury. If we can extend in the spring, then maybe Pritzger and the IHSA can make up for the pain and suffering they have caused these boys.

At this point, I am sure kids will be willing to make sacrifices. They may be willing to give up lacrosse and/or baseball to extend football season a few more weeks and have a playoff. This is not ideal, however since football is the only sport that plays only once a week, I do think they need to look at extending it into the "summer" season and possibly end in late May. That way, the kids can have a 7 game season. Teams that are 5-2 and many 4-3 teams will make the playoffs. Playoffs start in late April and end by Memorial Day. I am not saying football should have more privileges then other sports, but I do feel anything less then a 7 game season and regular playoffs will not feel right for the kids. With baseball and Lacrosse, they could easily schedule 4-5 games a week and make up for a shorter season. Football does not have that luxury. If we can extend in the spring, then maybe Pritzger and the IHSA can make up for the pain and suffering they have caused these boys.
I think the pain and suffering was and is caused by Covid 19.

You can't extend the football season because it will overlap and really impact the spring season which lost last year and only get a half a season in 2021

Reactions: USD24
I would like to see how football staffs handle proms, AP testing and all the other distractions spring coaches deal with every late April/May.

It is going to be hard to extend something that probably is not going to happen without a wide spread vaccine or treatment. There is a better chance 49 other states play and we do not then us playing without a vaccine or treatment come February.

In theory I am not sure how much farther you can extend football if you plan on starting on time in August. You are going to have people switching jobs, kids need a physical rest and also the time it takes to send off equipment for reconditioning. Plus a bunch of other stuff.

Baseball was played by the kids. Not with their High School but, they played baseball.

Well the IHSA does not look at it that way. I know you do.

I would wager much more money on no season than a 14 week spring season.

Give the kids the option, the kids deserve at least a 7 game season and a full postseason and state championship. If football overlaps into baseball and lacrosse then let the boys choose. I bet most kids would rather play a full football season and sacrifice baseball or lacrosse in the spring then an abbreviated schedule and no post-season. Just my thoughts. Most kids that play football AND other sports usually have football as their clear #1 sport. Again w/ baseball and lacrosse they can cram in many more games (even doubleheaders) so it is not apples to apples. Football game can only play once a week and these kids want a full season!

Again w/ baseball and lacrosse they can cram in many more games (even doubleheaders) so it is not apples to apples.
I guess technically this statement is correct. However, with current pitch limits and other precautions for kids' arms, this is not as true or easy as you make it sound.

For the under 20 age group in Illinois, over 400,000 cases, two deaths. So, not all that much pain
Really??????? I'd bet the pain and suffering of those 2 families is considerably "all that much pain"

If I had a kid who played both football and baseball, I'd want him to play baseball in the spring. Football is meant for fall. It seems to me that playing a football season all the way into June and then having to turn right around and play again in the fall isn't a good idea.

If I had a kid who played both football and baseball, I'd want him to play baseball in the spring. Football is meant for fall. It seems to me that playing a football season all the way into June and then having to turn right around and play again in the fall isn't a good idea.
These aren't normal times, however, if he plays football in the spring, he can still play travel baseball in both the spring and the summer.

I understand that. But I wouldn't want two football seasons so close together. That's my point.
I don't either, but it's a reality right now. For many it's the last time they are going to play. For a majority of the JR's, their playing time is limited and a lot of the college bound kids will redshirt and only the elite will really see freshman playing time.

I don't either, but it's a reality right now. For many it's the last time they are going to play. For a majority of the JR's, their playing time is limited and a lot of the college bound kids will redshirt and only the elite will really see freshman playing time.
Well, if it's the last time they are going to play then they don't have to worry about playing again in the fall do they?

Right that’s my point most of them aren’t going to have to worry about playing two seasons back to back And of course I’d rather play right now but that’s just not the reality

I think most are figuring a 7 week season and then a couple of playoff games. I know Palatine already updated their schedule in Hudl and it goes 7 weeks from 3/5 thru 4/16. They've got the 2 CSL crossover games and the 5 MSL West games on their schedule.

Here’s one pretty sobering view on when covid may be under control. Don’t let JB read it.

When ever I read something from medical experts, I remind myself, that they are the same group that very often gives very sobering diagnoses ,, with short survival times, and then when the patient exceeds that time, they take all the credit for the medical expertise and great care. My point is that the medical profession tends to be very pessimistic.

Reactions: missingwalter
When ever I read something from medical experts, I remind myself, that they are the same group that very often gives very sobering diagnoses ,, with short survival times, and then when the patient exceeds that time, they take all the credit for the medical expertise and great care. My point is that the medical profession tends to be very pessimistic.
When I think about what it’s gonna take to vaccinate the better part of our population and have results, I see a long process. Whether we believe these experts or not, I think we’re kidding ourselves if we think this is going away soon.

Indeed, it's always worst case scenario.

Give the kids the option, the kids deserve at least a 7 game season and a full postseason and state championship. If football overlaps into baseball and lacrosse then let the boys choose. I bet most kids would rather play a full football season and sacrifice baseball or lacrosse in the spring then an abbreviated schedule and no post-season. Just my thoughts. Most kids that play football AND other sports usually have football as their clear #1 sport. Again w/ baseball and lacrosse they can cram in many more games (even doubleheaders) so it is not apples to apples. Football game can only play once a week and these kids want a full season!

I would not agree with that comment. Based on the kids I know as well as my own son, that is not the case.

Sophomore
That's about the age, I notice they will start to dedicate themselves more to one sport. I can think of only one Varsity football player at our school that continued to play baseball after sophomore year and maybe only our current QB would consider another sport their number one. (over a 4 year period).

That's about the age, I notice they will start to dedicate themselves more to one sport. I can think of only one Varsity football player at our school that continued to play baseball after sophomore year and maybe only our current QB would consider another sport their number one. (over a 4 year period).
Maybe at a big school. But the smaller private schools like JCA and Naz we need to share our athletes. There are plenty of baseball first guys that play football. Before JJ most of Naz QBs were baseball first pitchers and play baseball at the next level.

Reactions: Gene K. and USD24
Maybe at a big school. But the smaller private schools like JCA and Naz we need to share our athletes. There are plenty of baseball first guys that play football. Before JJ most of Naz QBs were baseball first pitchers and play baseball at the next level.
Without a doubt and the QB position is typically one that will do that. Always has been.

also remember there is a field issue. You will have boys and girls soccer and boys and girls lacrosse and track going on. half them will already have morning practices at some places. another sport at same time will kick football to practicing at jr highs

ADVERTISEMENT