ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Odds that we will play IHSA Football this spring?

Odds we will play IHSA football this spring?

• 100 percent

Votes: 13 6.9%
  • 90 percent

Votes: 8 4.2%
  • 80percent

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • 70 percent

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • 60 percent

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • 50 percent

Votes: 41 21.7%
  • Less than 50 percent

Votes: 96 50.8%

• Total voters
Pure speculation....maybe it's the joy of the Holidays.....maybe it's seeing JB in a good mood on TV watching people taking the vaccine....but I think we really will have that Spring....I don't know what it will look like, but we'll have something and in 3 months later in Aug we'll have another season. I saw a couple vaccine threads were removed so i won't get to far into my theory on vaccinations other then my personal opinion is a lot more of the general public will be vaccinated by March then they initially thought.

Also, 16 and 17 year olds can easily play until May, rest for 4-6 weeks, and start up again practicing and be 100% by the end of August. They can even push it back a couple weeks and start in early September if needed, but honestly, at their ages, it can easily be done.
100% agree with 16 and 17 year olds being able to rebound quickly from a spring season and get back on the field in a couple of months. I think anyone that is, or has been, around football for any length of time would agree with this. Unfortunately, all of the anti-football folks will be out in droves complaining about the danger of playing football seasons back to back without much of a rest period. Hopefully, there is already a plan in the works to address these concerns. It would be devastating for these kids to get their hopes up for some kind of season, only to have the rug pulled out on them again.

I think the chances of any contact sport in the spring are virtually nill at this point.

In fact, I would pull the chances of football in the fall at no better than 50/50. JBP continues to move the goalposts and has said we won't move to phase 5 until Covid has been eradicated, which will never likely happen.

Reactions: Gene K.
I think the chances of any contact sport in the spring are virtually nill at this point.

In fact, I would pull the chances of football in the fall at no better than 50/50. JBP continues to move the goalposts and has said we won't move to phase 5 until Covid has been eradicated, which will never likely happen.

Yeah we need someone to run against JB in April 22. These Seniors getting screwed the last two years hopefully take the time to vote when the day comes. Also maybe some school boards asking why Inusrance companies will cover football and basketball in every other state they work in except Illinois.

Yea saw that too with the eradication thing. We knew the goalposts would move, honestly didn't think they would be so brazen about it. Eradication of the entire virus. He has got to know that's impossible right?

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
Yeah we need someone to run against JB in April 22. These Seniors getting screwed the last two years hopefully take the time to vote when the day comes. Also maybe some school boards asking why Insurance companies will cover football and basketball in every other state they work in except Illinois.
This has not been touched on enough IMHO by any investigative reporting, superintendents, and boards- the insurance difference between states. I've yet to see a definitive answer on this topic on what the difference is between IL and all these other states when it comes to that. How is it possible

If we don’t play in the Fall the IHSA will not be able to survive, that’s not speculating that’s a fact, they are on life support now.

Yeah we need someone to run against JB in April 22. These Seniors getting screwed the last two years hopefully take the time to vote when the day comes. Also maybe some school boards asking why Inusrance companies will cover football and basketball in every other state they work in except Illinois.
We re-elected Kim Foxx in a landslide after her monumental screw ups. We suck at elections.

If we don’t play in the Fall the IHSA will not be able to survive, that’s not speculating that’s a fact, they are on life support now.

You think JB cares about that or if any sport is ever played again in Illinois?

You think JB cares about that or if any sport is ever played again in Illinois?

Actually I believe that could be the end game. Let the state formally take over the athletic association

personally I expect there to be a new association formed sooner rather than later. Probably led by Catholics/ private but wouldn’t be surprised if some larger publica joined.

I’m sure MC/Loyola/Rita would have no issue with Lincoln way east or Maine south joining their new organization.

• Love
Actually I believe that could be the end game. Let the state formally take over the athletic association

personally I expect there to be a new association formed sooner rather than later. Probably led by Catholics/ private but wouldn’t be surprised if some larger publica joined.

I’m sure MC/Loyola/Rita would have no issue with Lincoln way east or Maine south joining their new organization.

They need to cut about 3 billion from the budget. I don't think adding HS sports is high on the list.

• Haha
First time I’ve ever seen our school tarp the football field in the winter. Perhaps they’re keeping it dry for potential spring football?

Would seniors already committing to a college still be playing spring football?

Would seniors already committing to a college still be playing spring football?
Others may disagree on this, but truth is the high majority of these players going D1 are probably going to be red shirted or have limited playing time their Freshman year so instead of having nearly a two year layoff between seasons, it would be in their best interest to play. I'm sure most of the schools they've committed to would want them to play....if they have immediate plans for them, they'll let them know....As far as wear and tear, they're young, they will bounce back quickly from a Spring season.

If you are D2. D3 or NAIA, you should absolutely play and I know most if not all their coaches at those levels would encourage them to play.

Last edited:
Reactions: missingwalter
Others may disagree on this, but truth is the high majority of these players going D1 are probably going to be red shirted or have limited playing time their Freshman year so instead of having nearly a two year layoff between seasons, it would be in their best interest to play. I'm sure most of the schools they've committed to would want them to play....if they have immediate plans for them, they'll let them know....As far as wear and tear, they're young, they will bounce back quickly from a Spring season.

If you are D2. D3 or NAIA, you should absolutely play and I know most if not all their coaches at those levels would encourage them to play.
I agree with this statement.

Reactions: McCaravan
Here's why there will be football (and other sports) starting in mid February.
1. Almost the entire state (besides possibly some CPS) will have in person learning by January 19th. This isn't a bold statement as many of the people on this thread involved in education already know this.
2. Vaccine. IL will be one of the top states in distributing the vaccine. Educational institutions are scheduled to begin getting first dose in 3 weeks. By this time medical and people over 75 will be already getting their 2nd dose. Our death rate will plummet if we can get 75+ vaccinated.
3. IHSA can't afford to not have football (and basketball). Literally.
4. Science. The benefit of having other states continue on with high school athletics is the results. They were able to get their season in and the publications from the findings have been very encouraging. Yes, we already know that transmission of covid on a football, soccer, lacrosse, etc. would be low...but now, even JB can't tweek the science for his narrative (enter comments here).
5. People. Edgy, Kerr, Trost, the Die Hards on this board, Media, IHSFCA, Coaches, Lawyers, Parents, and Students are not going to let it happen and for good reason. The curve will flatten (again), positivity rate falling already, those most in need of the vaccine will have it, and no one can't deny there's definitely a feeling of closing in it's end. Doctors even agree.
6. Look what it's done. 33% of high school students failing multiple classes statewide. Depression and suicide rates. Losing an entire generation of kids. There really isn't a choice. All extracurriculars need to return or 2nd semester/summer for all our kids will collapse.
7. If we need to move other seasons into July...so be it. Maybe 2021 summer is adjusted. Maybe there's less summer camps going into 2021.....so what? Whatever needs to be done to save the seasons.

FYI IHSA said there has been no communication or date set to meet with IDPH, even though they said they hoped to before Jan 1. An email was sent out recently to schools from IHSA saying it's now very possible that basketball will not be played this winter- would have to push back to spring or summer potentially. Does not bode well for football starting on time if they won't start basketball in Jan.

FYI IHSA said there has been no communication or date set to meet with IDPH, even though they said they hoped to before Jan 1. An email was sent out recently to schools from IHSA saying it's now very possible that basketball will not be played this winter- would have to push back to spring or summer potentially. Does not bode well for football starting on time if they won't start basketball in Jan.
I can hear JB. “We’re making great progress and there’s a light at the end of the tunnel but we have a long road ahead of us. We can’t afford any setbacks and I have to do what’s best for the people of Illinois. We need to stay the course.”

Football needs to start mid February. Can't play baseball, track..etc. in March and April. The best you can do is push it back a couple of weeks. Basketball is independent from football. The only concern is a slight overlap as football and basketball have the biggest doubling up of players, coaches and officials. Basketball can go on during baseball, track, lacrosse....true...it's more sports...but less conflicts with coaches, players and officials. Indoor sports have always had the toughest road.

Reactions: Dandydab28
From basketball people I've talked to they are basically expecting basketball to be a summer sport this season. Normally, they have camps, contact days, summer tournament and summer leagues in June anyways. So for the basketball people it wouldn't be that crazy of an adjustment.

7. If we need to move other seasons into July...so be it.

I know this won't be popular here but..... My biased perspective, for whatever it's worth, but this is hard NO for me. I manage my daughters softball team. We have revised our "normal" schedule for next summer to work around high school softball being scheduled through June. I don't mind doing it, and I'm excited to see my daughters play for their school after missing their freshman season last spring.

However, from a logistics viewpoint, we have already planned, and my families have budgeted/spent thousands of dollars on tournaments, hotels, etc. in July, with more planning still be done by us long before JB/IHSA/IDPH will ever figure anything out.

For the record, I'm not one of the "screw high school, travel is more important" people. I want them to play, but we can't just keep pushing everything back to try and squeeze in football. Football should have been played in September. If for whatever reasons JB/IHSA come up with that the Feb 15th start doesn't work either, I'm sorry, but it's time for football to start getting ready for August 2021.

Let’s say this is green lit, MC will probably eliminate Track (mostly football players), and then Boys Volleyball and LaCrosse as those two sports have less participation and less of a fan base, alumni support and following. I do hate to say that but the school doesn’t have the room...Football is King, followed by Wrestling, Baseball, Soccer and Basketball. I just don’t see how they can logistically include Track, Volleyball and LaCrosse with the space they have. Rugby as well but that’s a club and not run by the IHSA.

Let’s say this is green lit, MC will probably eliminate Track (mostly football players), and then Boys Volleyball and LaCrosse as those two sports have less participation and less of a fan base, alumni support and following. I do hate to say that but the school doesn’t have the room...Football is King, followed by Wrestling, Baseball, Soccer and Basketball. I just don’t see how they can logistically include Track, Volleyball and LaCrosse with the space they have. Rugby as well but that’s a club and not run by the IHSA.

A better way for MC to do it is opt out and not play football since those other sports were already cancelled last year and its tough to ask parents to pay thousands of dollars and the then shit on their kids since they don't play football. If spring football gets off the ground schools will need to make tough decisions based on space/ logistics and others won't play at all.

I know this won't be popular here but..... My biased perspective, for whatever it's worth, but this is hard NO for me. I manage my daughters softball team. We have revised our "normal" schedule for next summer to work around high school softball being scheduled through June. I don't mind doing it, and I'm excited to see my daughters play for their school after missing their freshman season last spring.

However, from a logistics viewpoint, we have already planned, and my families have budgeted/spent thousands of dollars on tournaments, hotels, etc. in July, with more planning still be done by us long before JB/IHSA/IDPH will ever figure anything out.

For the record, I'm not one of the "screw high school, travel is more important" people. I want them to play, but we can't just keep pushing everything back to try and squeeze in football. Football should have been played in September. If for whatever reasons JB/IHSA come up with that the Feb 15th start doesn't work either, I'm sorry, but it's time for football to start getting ready for August 2021.

Schools should do what best serves the overall student population, sadly this mean kids like you daughter will opt out and play travel ball instead of for the school but that is the reality of the situation.

Schools should do what best serves the overall student population, sadly this mean kids like you daughter will opt out and play travel ball instead of for the school but that is the reality of the situation.
If that was actually the case though, and it was purely about the "overall student population", they would have already cancelled football and given real seasons this spring to all the students that lost out last spring. Personally, I don't want that, and am good with the current plan of "spring" running from April 19 until June 26th. My complaint was about the idea of pushing "spring" into July.

Reactions: caravan8
A better way for MC to do it is opt out and not play football since those other sports were already cancelled last year and its tough to ask parents to pay thousands of dollars and the then shit on their kids since they don't play football. If spring football gets off the ground schools will need to make tough decisions based on space/ logistics and others won't play at all.
C’mon are you serious? MC, their 200 plus football players and their Nationally known Football team should opt out in favor of the 15 person LAX team, make that 10 when you consider the football players who also play LAX....none of which came to MC for their LAX team. Trust me none of those players or the 12 Volleyball players will feel shat upon. The school has 2 gyms, one that was built with the building 120 years ago and is used as the wrestling room. Hard decisions will have to be made, Catholic Schools are unfortunately a business a sorts and you don’t sit out your top money makers. Just how it is.

Reactions: Bowie50
C’mon are you serious? MC, their 200 plus football players and their Nationally known Football team should opt out in favor of the 15 person LAX team, make that 10 when you consider the football players who also play LAX....none of which came to MC for their LAX team. Trust me none of those players or the 12 Volleyball players will feel shat upon. The school has 2 gyms, one that was built with the building 120 years ago and is used as the wrestling room. Hard decisions will have to be made, Catholic Schools are unfortunately a business a sorts and you don’t sit out your top money makers. Just how it is.

Depends what sports your big donors kids play.

Reactions: mc140
This is a much more complicated discussion for Loyola since those other sports specifically lax matter much more

ADVERTISEMENT