ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Odds that we will play IHSA Football this spring?

Odds we will play IHSA football this spring?

• 100 percent

Votes: 13 6.9%
  • 90 percent

Votes: 8 4.2%
  • 80percent

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • 70 percent

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • 60 percent

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • 50 percent

Votes: 41 21.7%
  • Less than 50 percent

Votes: 96 50.8%

• Total voters

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Lots of questions after today's IHSA suspension of winter sports.

One of the biggest questions I have right now is what is the point of having the IHSA anymore especially with zero sports and how much longer can the IHSA remain operational?

And again not to overlook the impact of all IHSA sports from today's announcement, but this is a football specific board so...I feel the longer we need to "push" winter sports out the less of a chance we will have to play starting in February. I'm 100 percent spitballing here but...I can't see all of these sports having seasons within say a 3-4 month range and how logistically can you have football/basketball overlap? You can't and especially the lower to mid sized high schools would struggle to field teams in both sports. Also the longer we go without any IHSA playoffs the more in debt they become...and I don't see them "running" sports for the heck of it...without a payoff involved which they obviously need.

Vote early and often.

I think they'll have all the sports go Feb-June. There will be overlap. Kids will have to choose. Programs will suffer and so will the 2 sport or 3 sport kids.

Reactions: McCaravan
Edgy is right when it comes to overlap. Most of the smaller downstate schools will have lots of trouble fielding teams if you overlap sports. Most of the schools in the joint letter fall into this category. If we play at all it will be a very short season with token playoffs.

Last edited:
I think they’ve learned from the other 40 plus states playing that playing can be safely done and playing outside sports is a much lesser risk. Let’s see how this vaccine is distributed and how the numbers are after the Holidays. But I truly think there will be some sort of a season this spring. It may not be a season we are used to seeing and I’m not sure if anything will be at stake Championship wise, but they’ll be something and will be a spring board to the 2021 fall season.

I think they’ve learned from the other 40 plus states playing that playing can be safely done and playing outside sports is a much lesser risk. Let’s see how this vaccine is distributed and how the numbers are after the Holidays. But I truly think there will be some sort of a season this spring. It may not be a season we are used to seeing and I’m not sure if anything will be at stake Championship wise, but they’ll be something and will be a spring board to the 2021 fall season.
I don’t feel like the common person will get a vaccine until spring. Maybe I’m wrong...

I don’t feel like the common person will get a vaccine until spring. Maybe I’m wrong...
No your probably right but that fact that it has it’s approval and is circulating may make JB breath easier and loosen the reigns if the numbers are decreasing. Glass half full outlook.

Reactions: greatgig13
Another thing, I think a season will be played this Spring but they need to be realistic with the start date. Even if Covid fully goes away early February is not realistic. I would start maybe late February, early March with games from March 19th to May 21st that would make the 5 and 5 schedule that’s being floated around possible

One thing to keep in mind is that all of this may or not matter with the vaccine, it may come down to "risk" and the social distancing rules in place. We have Fauci and many other top people still saying that with a vaccine, we will not be able to stop social distancing, masks, etc. for a long time, maybe a year or more (maybe forever?). We have U of I Chancellor saying they will continue to do the crazy student testing/quarantine procedures for the next 12 months and beyond, even with a vaccine (would seriously reconsider the college option for kids right now with the prison like atmosphere they are doing and will be doing, but that is a whole other conversation).

So it may come down to IDPH and the risks. If they don't budge, it might not matter. They might not budge for fall of 2021 if the top doctors say we can't change any social behavior for a long time even with a vaccine. And if IDPH says so, JB will say so.

I hope I am wrong but it took about 7 months to get thru the first wave where practice and work outs could begin. With that in mind, it would seem that this new wave which appears to infect even more people will take us thru May of next year to get back to sports. I am afraid my grandson will miss his freshman football season.

My commentary on this has been pretty steadfast. Unfortunately we have uninformed decision makers making big decisions for reasons far beyond student athletes getting on their field of choice. Our kids are not even pawns. Pawns have a purpose. The high school athlete is an afterthought.

at some point you have to ask -- when it is too late to start football given that another season theoretically starts in August? From a player safety perspective, i have to think it football doesnt start by late Feb, it isnt happening period.

Last edited:
at some point you have to ask -- when it is too late to start football given that another season theoretically starts in August? From a player safety perspective, i have to think it football doesnt start by late Feb, it isnt happening period.

If football is played I have to imagine next summer will look very different since the season will have ended a few months early. Also does it mean a shortened 2021 season or one that doesn’t start until October?

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
If football is played I have to imagine next summer will look very different since the season will have ended a few months early. Also does it mean a shortened 2021 season or one that doesn’t start until October?
And if that was being discussed, wouldn’t most people other than high school seniors just say screw it? Chalk up 2020/21 as a giant, flaming pile of dog crap and plan for a “normal” 2021/22 schedule?

pritzker mentioned today that it’s likely April before a real availability of vaccine for the general public. With that timetable, seems unlikely that things are good to go in February.

Depending on what they decide to do schedule wise, if a team goes to the end, your looking at early May. If the 21 Fall season begins on team, that gives you about 14-16 weeks, depending on when your Spring season ends, to lick your wounds. I know it’s a cliche saying but they are young, they will bounce back quickly. Plus, unless it’s one of those teams that are very heavy juniors, most of the Spring players will have graduated. Passing camps will have to be scratched and it may have to go back to a more old school practice schedule but can be done.

They really just screwed up, they should have just played this fall. I think they were hoping it would have been a disaster in other states that played and it would have given them leverage but that back fired with other states being successful and then realizing being outside is better, now they got to figure something out or face the wrath if they scratch if the season a second time with a Vaccine making its rounds.

They really just screwed up, they should have just played this fall. I think they were hoping it would have been a disaster in other states that played and it would have given them leverage but that back fired with other states being successful and then realizing being outside is better, now they got to figure something out or face the wrath if they scratch if the season a second time with a Vaccine making its rounds.

There will be no wrath. It will all be about "insurance". The same companies insuring schools in other covid riddled states but wont here.

If the season ends at the beginning of May, seems like there would be no chance of contact days in June. Maybe after the 4th of July, but more realistically the first day of practice in August would be the first day of football. No summer contact days. That would be 12 - 14 weeks with no contact. Probably the easiest thing to do in order to preserve 2021 scheduling, etc.

Reactions: ClownBaby
If the season ends at the beginning of May, seems like there would be no chance of contact days in June. Maybe after the 4th of July, but more realistically the first day of practice in August would be the first day of football. No summer contact days. That would be 12 - 14 weeks with no contact. Probably the easiest thing to do in order to preserve 2021 scheduling, etc.

bad sitation all around. i do think though that the later the season starts, the more committed seniors you will see opting out, since most of them (at least at D1 level) report to college in late June/early July.

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
I'm certain there will be football in the spring. The CDC says that the first vaccine to receive Emergency Use Authorization will be available for 20 million people in about three weeks. And that is just the beginning. At least five more vaccines, and maybe as many as nine, will be rolled out in the coming months. Furthermore, the FDA is expected to approve the antibody cocktail that was used to cure Trump in October. Even someone as slow as JB will see that it's time to turn on the lights, the Friday night lights.

I'm certain there will be football in the spring. The CDC says that the first vaccine to receive Emergency Use Authorization will be available for 20 million people in about three weeks. And that is just the beginning. At least five more vaccines, and maybe as many as nine, will be rolled out in the coming months. Furthermore, the FDA is expected to approve the antibody cocktail that was used to cure Trump in October. Even someone as slow as JB will see that it's time to turn on the lights, the Friday night lights.
Does anyone really think that once vaccines are administered that covid will lift like a fog and we’re back to normal life? I think that’s pretty optimistic. I can see JB saying “we just don’t have enough data to move forward” especially if we want football to start in February. Not trying to be pessimistic but we all know how this man operates.

JB does not care about high school sports. Hopefully the parents and athletes getting screwed remember to vote against him in 22.

Again, every day there are more news stories with quotes from all the doctors saying vaccines are great but we will be wearing masks and social distancing for at least all of 2021 and maybe longer. If we have to social distance and wear masks, even with a vaccine, it's going to be tough to get IDPH to change course on their sport risk levels.

agree. I doubt there is a football season this year and am 50/50 at best that the 2021 season will start in August.

Remember we don't get to herd immunity until 75% of population has had Covid or is vaccination, which regardless of vaccination supply, just isn't going to happen.

Does anyone really think that once vaccines are administered that covid will lift like a fog and we’re back to normal life? I think that’s pretty optimistic. I can see JB saying “we just don’t have enough data to move forward” especially if we want football to start in February. Not trying to be pessimistic but we all know how this man operates.

Also remember that each of these vaccines require 2 doses so even people who get it in december wont be immune until late january. Those who take it in March until late April.

Also remember that each of these vaccines require 2 doses so even people who get it in december wont be immune until late january. Those who take it in March until late April.
And it’s 20 million nationwide potentially in December. How does that pan out in Illinois? I heard something like 400,000. First responders and high risk people first. Average schmucks like me probably like March or April. Good questions I heard are how do they monitor who all gets it; who will actually take it; how do we know when it’s actually effective? Lots of unknowns but hopefully we’re starting in the right direction soon. I do agree that we will continue living in a masked world through 2021, whether it’s mandated by our new administration or if people are still shell shocked and afraid to be near others again.

I’m still going glass half full on this. The Gov doesn’t care about the health of these kids he cares about what he and the state will be liable for. The vaccine even if not widely spread will help ease his worry. I also think teachers, coaches and school staff should be in the first group to be vaccined and I think they will be put in that group very soon. Again, like you guys, I’m purely speculating here, none of us know anything.

All I plea to the Governor and Health Dept is to make a decision, whether it be right or wrong, and stick to it so these kids can plan their lives and adjust their plans accordingly. If you know there is no plan for the Spring then stop the BS and make the call.

agree. I doubt there is a football season this year and am 50/50 at best that the 2021 season will start in August.

Remember we don't get to herd immunity until 75% of population has had Covid or is vaccination, which regardless of vaccination supply, just isn't going to happen.
True. But the mathematical hope is that once you start crossing thresholds of 30, 40, 50 percent of population being vaccinated and/or already positive, then the spread would slow substantially. Couple that with the slowing down of the virus in June in the Midwest, and i think it is a near certainty August football will be fine.

still crossing my fingers for spring .

Reactions: McCaravan

Agree with you on the August start being pushed back but I find it comical since there will be a vaccine in circulation and there will be a ton of data from football being played this year without a vaccine.

In his quest to be responsible JB only looks ridiculous and no it won’t help him become President like he thinks it will.

Agree with you on the August start being pushed back but I find it comical since there will be a vaccine in circulation and there will be a ton of data from football being played this year without a vaccine.

In his quest to be responsible JB only looks ridiculous and no it won’t help him become President like he thinks it will.
I don’t want to get this flushed and I know it’s taboo to talk politics here but our current Governor wasn’t going to do anything that would make the current President happy, as in playing sports or reopening like Indiana and many other states did. With his guy in the White House starting in January then he may be more reasonable...wishful thinking but it’s Thanksgiving so I’m in one of those moods

Reactions: Bowie50
I don’t want to get this flushed and I know it’s taboo to talk politics here but our current Governor wasn’t going to do anything that would make the current President happy, as in playing sports or reopening like Indiana and many other states did. With his guy in the White House starting in January then he may be more reasonable...wishful thinking but it’s Thanksgiving so I’m in one of those moods
Well yeah, that bailout will be coming for being the good soldier.

I doubt it I think him changing course is actually worse for him politically since it makes the previous 9 months look like a mistake. I just want HS football back everyone knows the current situation isn’t ideal but these kids deserve something.

Anyways, at the rate we’re going, according to the reporting numbers, about 50% of the State will have had it by January anyway. Herd immunity! Happy Thanksgiving all!

Last edited:
There was a IHSA Football advisory committee meeting on Wednesday...anyone here any rumblings?

All the stakeholders in allowing FB play have been held at bay with such relative ease so far, I just can not see push-back mounting to such a level to all of sudden produce some real change of direction. Even with the vaccine, chances of starting up in about 60 days seems in line with the polling numbers in this thread. February 15th is mighty close to the spike interval of which we will be constantly warned following early January gathering and traveling. Also, going to all the trouble of starting up then mucking through all the cancellations, postponements and rescheduling experienced at the collegiate and pro levels would not seem attractive to the public high schools.

All the stakeholders in allowing FB play have been held at bay with such relative ease so far, I just can not see push-back mounting to such a level to all of sudden produce some real change of direction. Even with the vaccine, chances of starting up in about 60 days seems in line with the polling numbers in this thread. February 15th is mighty close to the spike interval of which we will be constantly warned following early January gathering and traveling. Also, going to all the trouble of starting up then mucking through all the cancellations, postponements and rescheduling experienced at the collegiate and pro levels would not seem attractive to the public high schools.

Or Private HS. I agree it is not going to happen IMO.

Pure speculation....maybe it's the joy of the Holidays.....maybe it's seeing JB in a good mood on TV watching people taking the vaccine....but I think we really will have that Spring....I don't know what it will look like, but we'll have something and in 3 months later in Aug we'll have another season. I saw a couple vaccine threads were removed so i won't get to far into my theory on vaccinations other then my personal opinion is a lot more of the general public will be vaccinated by March then they initially thought.

Also, 16 and 17 year olds can easily play until May, rest for 4-6 weeks, and start up again practicing and be 100% by the end of August. They can even push it back a couple weeks and start in early September if needed, but honestly, at their ages, it can easily be done.

Reactions: Gene K.
Pure speculation....maybe it's the joy of the Holidays.....maybe it's seeing JB in a good mood on TV watching people taking the vaccine....but I think we really will have that Spring....I don't know what it will look like, but we'll have something and in 3 months later in Aug we'll have another season. I saw a couple vaccine threads were removed so i won't get to far into my theory on vaccinations other then my personal opinion is a lot more of the general public will be vaccinated by March then they initially thought.

Also, 16 and 17 year olds can easily play until May, rest for 4-6 weeks, and start up again practicing and be 100% by the end of August. They can even push it back a couple weeks and start in early September if needed, but honestly, at their ages, it can easily be done.
I’ll have what he’s having...

ADVERTISEMENT