ADVERTISEMENT

Play clock

MS4EVER

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2004
I am really not a fan of the new rule. Instead of playing your butt off for 48 minutes plus teams are now sssslllllooooowwwwwiiiinnngggg tttthhhhhheeee ggggaaaaammmmmeeee ddddooooowwwwnnnn.

Anyone else for or against it?

I’m not against it. Games are definitely shorter. I wish there was an analytic to see total plays between this year and last year. I know from just the clock in my truck, it’s a half hour difference.

If I was coaching an underdog, I’d definitely use it to take the air out of the game and make sure the punting game is sound. 2 1/2 minute rundown on a 4 and out compared to a buck twenty. And get a first a first down, it’s 5 minutes and chance to flip the field.

If I was coaching a pace team, I wouldn’t defer anymore, I’d get the possible extra possession.

Good or bad. Good bc I’m only a fan and the best team is going to win in a 60 play contest nearly the same amount of times as they would in an 80 play contest but at least I get home earlier.

Reactions: Gene K.
I’m not against it. Games are definitely shorter. I wish there was an analytic to see total plays between this year and last year. I know from just the clock in my truck, it’s a half hour difference.

If I was coaching an underdog, I’d definitely use it to take the air out of the game and make sure the punting game is sound. 2 1/2 minute rundown on a 4 and out compared to a buck twenty. And get a first a first down, it’s 5 minutes and chance to flip the field.

If I was coaching a pace team, I wouldn’t defer anymore, I’d get the possible extra possession.

Good or bad. Good bc I’m only a fan and the best team is going to win in a 60 play contest nearly the same amount of times as they would in an 80 play contest but at least I get home earlier.
Home or the tavern?

Reactions: RockSoup

I doubt it’s had much measurable effect one way or the other. And the play clock now starts within a second or two of the last play ending. I would venture that previously by the time the ball got to an official, spotted, the referee looked around and made sure officials were in position and ready and got around to putting the ball in play it usually took at least if not more than 15 seconds. It used to drive me nuts if a team was behind and needing the ball back and the ref looked like he was being extra deliberate about waiting to put ball in play to look like he wasn’t aiding the defense or something. Now it’s out of his hands and theoretically should be consistent throughout the game whether in the first minute or the last.

As a ref I love it. The difference is the consistency with the play clock now. Some crews were slow to get the play clock started and some were faster.

Had a few times where at the end of a quarter/half teams would not have to run a play because the last play ended with less then 40 seconds on the clock, when in the past they might have to run more. Better especially if a team is takin a knee at the end.

As a ref I love it. The difference is the consistency with the play clock now. Some crews were slow to get the play clock started and some were faster.

Had a few times where at the end of a quarter/half teams would not have to run a play because the last play ended with less then 40 seconds on the clock, when in the past they might have to run more. Better especially if a team is takin a knee at the end.
Except now you only need 2 minutes to take kneed. That's 45 seconds more than previously.

Except now you only need 2 minutes to take kneed. That's 45 seconds more than previously.

Before the game clock was still running and the ref could manipulate the amount of time he took to put the ball in play so if he stalls he can let you run extra time off and more than make up for the extra 15 seconds. That’s what I hated. If you needed the ball back and the ref was helping the offense “stall” inadvertently or not.

Last edited:
On the flip side, the game can take a lot longer with two passing teams who are not completing their passes. It seems way better when the school actually have play clocks in the endzone. I hope more schools continue to add them.

Reactions: Wolffan64
On the flip side, the game can take a lot longer with two passing teams who are not completing their passes. It seems way better when the school actually have play clocks in the endzone. I hope more schools continue to add them.
I love the endzone play clock!

Reactions: Googertys Dog
I'd wanna use every second of the play clock. I'll offer you my scenario. I was HC/OC for 1 season at Guerin for our JV team. We were mainly freshmen with a few sophs. My idea was it was in the best interest of our team to shorten the game as much as possible. We were extremely run heavy offensively, but would mix in play action to keep defenses honest. If we could keep the ball for long drives on offense we would bleed the clock, but also keep our young defense off the field. Every play my QB would come to me on the sideline for the play in order to keep that clock running! Just my two cents...

Reactions: Gene K.
I'd wanna use every second of the play clock. I'll offer you my scenario. I was HC/OC for 1 season at Guerin for our JV team. We were mainly freshmen with a few sophs. My idea was it was in the best interest of our team to shorten the game as much as possible. We were extremely run heavy offensively, but would mix in play action to keep defenses honest. If we could keep the ball for long drives on offense we would bleed the clock, but also keep our young defense off the field. Every play my QB would come to me on the sideline for the play in order to keep that clock running! Just my two cents...

Hey ref2, are the end zone play clocks actually used to officiate the game?
RockSoup, I am not really a proponent of the election to "Defer" as I have seen far more teams start a 2nd Half flat than I have seen be flat at the start of a game.

Reactions: RockSoup
Clocks don't officiate , officials officiate

Seriously. If it is on the filed we use it unless the operator is totally inept. then we shut it down.

You will be seeing more play clocks on the field in the future. Heard a couple rumors that some conferences will be mandating it in the future. It will of course take a couple years to get done

Curious on the cost of the implementing of the play clock..? Noticed some DuKane stadiums had them this year..

Clocks don't officiate , officials officiate

Seriously. If it is on the filed we use it unless the operator is totally inept. then we shut it down.

You will be seeing more play clocks on the field in the future. Heard a couple rumors that some conferences will be mandating it in the future. It will of course take a couple years to get done
Each school in the MSL West has them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT