ADVERTISEMENT

Pick Em: Who wins the 2015 West Suburban Silver?

So who will win the 2015 West Suburban Silver?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
So who wins the Silver in 2015? Is Glenbard West the consensus pick? What about OPRF? Hinsdale Central? Lyons? Can Proviso West bounce back? Or DGN? Is York getting ready to make a run soon?

Vote today

It will be interesting to see my Alma Mater (Lyons) this year with the revamped coaching staff. New OC and DC.

It will be interesting to see my Alma Mater (Lyons) this year with the revamped coaching staff. New OC and DC.

They'll be very young and probably not that good, even when they're good though they're perennially 5-4. They do less with more than almost anyone.

Interesting three game stretch starting in Week 5 with GW playing @ Lyons homecoming game, back home in Week 6 against HC, then back out to OPRF for what could be the WSS show down. All three opponents have a reason pay back GW, so no lack of motivation. Key will be how healthy each team stays through those middle weeks. Not to discount PW because those guys can play, but 48 minutes of GW pounding tends to wear them down.

Lyon might enter game with GW at 4-0 with Warren, PW and two patsies (sorry Morton and Leyden, but)
Hinsdale C will be either 4-1 or 5-0 depending on whether they can pull off O'Fallon upset like BB in week 1 last year
OPRF will likely be 5-1 or 6-0 when GW arrives in week 7 with only major threat being LWE in week 1

A couple of wild cards appear to be:
1. Does OPRF keep their wrestlers playing football this year and does that 100 player freshman team(s) in 2013 translate to deeper talent pool in 2015?
2. Does HC passing game translate on the crowned grass field of Duchon which the last two times ended 37-7 and 45-14? Last year's abbreviated game may be motivating factor for HC, but Hetlett always loves playing his former team.
3. Can Lyons translate those huge enrollment numbers into a hard nose team like last year's senior laden team that gave GW their best game (other than Stevie and possibly Barr), or do they rely on a one-dimension offense like they often do?
4. PW will always scare folks because they can flat out ball, but will they get everyone, and I mean you DL and LBs, rowing together in the same direction. Too often last year they had a few heros trying to make plays all over the field which caused gaps waiting to be exploited
5. York....ahhh where do we start York? You have a burner, that is for sure. If GW hadn't removed Brodner early in the 2nd qtr last year, he may have run for 800 yards. Your defense looked truly scared of tangling with the big guy, but that's ok, I'm not sure I would want that task either.

With much of the WSS now running the no huddle, walk to line the line of scrimmage them get your cue card calls from the sideline, spread offense, it has become apparent that these are ill-equipped to deal with the attacking, ground and pound game of GW. Hetlett has his DL and LBs so ready to shift into their reads and maintain disciplined lane control, that the spread never has a chance inside the red zone. Piling up yards between the 20's is great, but give me Sammy Brods in a smash mouth offense inside the 20 any day. The best news for GW is that we look to have a full complement of weapons to keep folks honest in their attempt to focus on Brods.

GW may lack all the D1 guys that a Naz has or the speed and skills of Homer Flosswood, but they play 48 minutes of bruising football that wears down all but the best schools in IL. OK, last year might have only been 46 minutes of dominating Stevie before giving up the late TD, but believe me, Hetlett is using that loss as motivation to complete the deal in 15. Hate to ever compare teams across years because that always offends someone, but this team may be his most complete yet and his best chance to secure title number 2. Always takes a bit of luck to avoid injuries and you never know how 17 year olds will react to pressure, but as stated earlier, put me down as bullish on GW in 15.

ADVERTISEMENT