ADVERTISEMENT

Peoria 94 Bloomington 54

I wonder if that whole league has agreed to going soft on tackling (or introducing new techniques) and this is the new school football weve been waiting for/dreading.

Would love to get perspective on how the points were scored. Anyone at the game that can provide insight?

My only guess is massive points off special teams. Lots of kickoff returns for TDs?

Avg score for Peoria is 70-55 through 5 games and that;'s including a 58-0 shutout.

When I played you knocked the hell out of somebody and they fumbled the ball.Text book tackling.Now it is taught to strip the ball.If you don't strip the ball you aren't making the tackle and giving up lots of yards.I also see grabbing by the jersey and throwing the guy forward for more yards rather than knocking him back.Kinda like I want to hit in baseball but don't want to play the field.

My favorite drill was called Hit, Lift and Drive - a sled with three hundred pound man on it. Enough give that you did not hit steel direct, but resistance enough to feel like a real man.

How can you not love tackling?
It's becoming obsolete.Did you guys do bull in the ring? I was in the middle on our team but would always go after the best.I said I'm here to play football & get better so I go against the best.I don't feed on the weak

Reactions: crusader_of_90
It's becoming obsolete.Did you guys do bull in the ring? I was in the middle on our team but would always go after the best.I said I'm here to play football & get better so I go against the best.I don't feed on the weak
We did bull in the ring but the best hitting was during our version of the Oklahoma drill that we called Hamburger because we had running backs to tackle once you shed your man.

Those contests were arranged by player challenge or decreed by the coaches. Never mismatches - always tittle fights.

We did bull in the ring but the best hitting was during our version of the Oklahoma drill that we called Hamburger because we had running backs to tackle once you shed your man.

Those contests were arranged by player challenge or decreed by the coaches. Never mismatches - always tittle fights.
We had a few different versions of it in the late 70's and early 80's.

Nothing that could really be done today as they were quite violent, however when these drills were over it was pretty clear who wanted to play football.
I remember my sophomore year doing these drills with the varsity and scared to death!

God it was awesome!!!

Reactions: crusader_of_90
ADVERTISEMENT