ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Ryan named Illinois Director of Illinois HS Relations

JCHillmen

Nov 30, 2001
Illini Hire Ryan

Not a bad post-retirement gig for Pat Ryan.

And Bielema continues to just crush it with every decision he makes. I know this is low hanging fruit and something similar should have been done long ago. But this staff is putting in all the effort Lovie's wasn't. Now, to win some games.....

Illini Hire Ryan

Not a bad post-retirement gig for Pat Ryan.

And Bielema continues to just crush it with every decision he makes. I know this is low hanging fruit and something similar should have been done long ago. But this staff is putting in all the effort Lovie's wasn't. Now, to win some games.....
Just one of the best people I've been blessed to get to know....

Reactions: JCHillmen
I’m sure he is great guy but wouldn’t it be better to put someone in the position who is more connected to the Chicago area football scene?

Reactions: crusader_of_90
I’m sure he is great guy but wouldn’t it be better to put someone in the position who is more connected to the Chicago area football scene?
I understand what you are saying, but this is just one of several positions they have with regard to high school relations and recruiting.

For instance, Terry Hawthorne of ESL is the Director of HS Personnel and Illini Relations. That was also a good hire, but because he was employed at ESL, NCAA regulations say that the Illini now can't sign an ESL kid until at least 2023.

So that is a consideration as well. You don't want to cancel yourself out of too many state football powers for the next few years. I don't know how many Chicago area guys with a pedigree similar to Ryan are not currently working at a city or suburban football legacy power. Lenti is the only one that comes to mind and I am not sure he wants to uproot to East Central Illinois right now.

I believe Pat was brought in to connect with high schools across the state, but he will be particularly effective in the Peoria, Bloomington, and Champaign areas I am sure. It sounds like each coach on staff has been assigned to have direct connection with approximately 50 in-state high school programs and Bielema himself has a heavy hand in a lot of in state recruiting.

I would look at this less as "well, they could have hired a Chicago guy" and more of "well this is just one more position as part of a full court press on Illinois high schools."
I personally am most pleased with the Bart Miller hire. He is a North Suburbs guy in his mid 30s who coaches the O Line and is very personable and has quite the motor. Hard not to like him. He is assigned to the Lake, McHenry, DuPage, and North Cook County high schools.

I think the assistant coaches (and Bielema) are they key to all of this and guys like Hawthorne and and Ryan are there to go a long way toward goodwill and fostering relationships, moreso than directly recruiting anyone.

Not sure the Chicago football scene is too interested in Champaign. The last two decades have seen a steady stream of players from the suburbs heading to Madison, Iowa City and East Lansing.

Not sure the Chicago football scene is too interested in Champaign. The last two decades have seen a steady stream of players from the suburbs heading to Madison, Iowa City and East Lansing.
Isn’t your post reason #1 why you would want someone tied into it?

Reactions: Quags57
Isn’t your post reason #1 why you would want someone tied into it?
Does it really matter? Seems like the suburban coaches have the Illini on the pay no mind list. Has been that way for 2 decades. Most of them did not go to Illinois and have no reason to steer players there. Illinois is not like Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio State or Wisconsin. Kids in those states grow up dreaming to go to those schools. Not the case in the Chicago suburbs for Illinois. Those players and coaches don’t care about Illinois no matter how much attention the school’s coaches give them.

Does it really matter? Seems like the suburban coaches have the Illini on the pay no mind list. Has been that way for 2 decades. Most of them did not go to Illinois and have no reason to steer players there. Illinois is not like Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio State or Wisconsin. Kids in those states grow up dreaming to go to those schools. Not the case in the Chicago suburbs for Illinois. Those players and coaches don’t care about Illinois no matter how much attention the school’s coaches give them.
It wasn't that long ago to me that Wisconsin was a bit of a joke in football. I can think of Clemson and of course Boise State the same way. Maybe this is the start of Illini respectability.

Reactions: Gene K.
Last year, SIU and Illinois State out did the Illini in terms of performance by NFL rookies. Even in D-II McKendree had a better result from their rookie. If there’s one goal the program needs to have right away, I think outperforming other Illinois schools with who they send to the NFL should be a big one to start with

The Illini not only need to recruit players, but are attempting to build their image across the state. Bringing in Lovie, the former Bears coach, should have jumpstarted this, but Lovie's biggest weakness was in-state recruiting. I can see the efforts building, however, already in the Kankakee area.

High profile Kankakee area recruits are getting Illini offers. Payton Hutchings, Coal City's 2019 QB, is pitching for the Illini. Manteno's Gesky skipped the spring season for early enrollment at Illinois and is in spring practice. Iroquois West's Leonard has been offered - the 3 star lineman missed his soph year with an ACL. Bradley-Bourbonnais 6-9 soph hoopster Freeman has been offered by Brad Underwood. And former Kankakee hoops star AJ Storr, who moved to Las Vegas, has committed to Underwood.

And what happens? The Illini offers get big Daily Journal sports front page articles, Edgy & Rivals articles, MaxPreps articles, etc. The publicity is building. The "Power of I" program is working beautifully. Do I want to see a return to the Lou Henson era where some teams were completely made up of Illinois kids? Not necessarily. But if Bielema wins every recruiting battle with Notre Dame, Texas, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa for the kids, why not?

Let's be realistic...Lovie was not going to jump in his car and drive 40 minutes up I-57 to see Clayton Leonard at Gilman Iroquois West...I-West has not won more than 2 games in ten years+. But Bielema has already offered...

Bielema has impressed me with his aggressive stance on in state recruiting. Illinois needs to keep Illinois kids in state rather than having them go elsewhere. Good luck to Bielema and Illinois moving forward.

Bielema has impressed me with his aggressive stance on in state recruiting. Illinois needs to keep Illinois kids in state rather than having them go elsewhere. Good luck to Bielema and Illinois moving forward.

I will be impressed with Wins! He wasn’t my first choice, but I am willing to see if he can bring the university of Illinois back to respectability. That means wins not just recruiting Illinois kids. 😁

I will be impressed with Wins! He wasn’t my first choice, but I am willing to see if he can bring the university of Illinois back to respectability. That means wins not just recruiting Illinois kids. 😁
But at least its a start compared to Lovie's almost non existent in state recruiting. I agree with you on recruiting other states and the end result has to show more wins by the Illini.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT