ADVERTISEMENT

Paging USD

pjjp

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2001
Since baseball season is right around the corner, what are your thoughts on this year's version of our Hilltoppers? Who do you expect to emerge other than Fellowes and Simonich? Do they bounce back with a solid team after last year's disappointing end of the season? Thanks.

A lot of baseball talent on Larkin Ave.
I am surprised that they haven't won more championships than they have.
Provi 3-peat?

Provi 3-peat?
Not sure what type of pitching Provi has. I've heard they return a ton of position player talent. Have to hand it to the Celtics. Two titles in a row in 4A is quite an accomplishment.

As for JCA, their regional is tough. It seems they either make a long run or get knocked out early. Last year? That was a bad program loss to Lemont. It was not one of Lemont's better teams. JCA was the prohibitive favorite, especially with Fellowes on the mound. The Hilltoppers' achilles heel seems to be hitting over the years. Their coach favors "small ball". They do a lot of bunting and take a lot of pitches in hitters' counts. But, that's just my opinion.

Not sure what type of pitching Provi has. I've heard they return a ton of position player talent. Have to hand it to the Celtics. Two titles in a row in 4A is quite an accomplishment.

As for JCA, their regional is tough. It seems they either make a long run or get knocked out early. Last year? That was a bad program loss to Lemont. It was not one of Lemont's better teams. JCA was the prohibitive favorite, especially with Fellowes on the mound. The Hilltoppers' achilles heel seems to be hitting over the years. Their coach favors "small ball". They do a lot of bunting and take a lot of pitches in hitters' counts. But, that's just my opinion.

It may be a tough year for the Hilltoppers. There is not a lot of depth in the senior class. I would say they will hover around 500 most of the year. There is a ton of talent at the lower levels and we may even see a freshmen start in the infield this year. Hopefully they can put it together and be a solid team by tourney time. With Fellows on the mound, they can beat anybody.

Provi 3-peat?

Since 2008, JCA has 4 state trophies, including 2 Championships. In addition, they have a summer state championship. I would argue that they are the most successful program in the state over the last 8 years as well as the last 30 years.

USD...thanks for the input. I figured they might be young this year.

I will definitely check them out at Rice if Fellows is pitching in a few weeks

Since 2008, JCA has 4 state trophies, including 2 Championships. In addition, they have a summer state championship. I would argue that they are the most successful program in the state over the last 8 years as well as the last 30 years.
Hard to throw out Oak Park from the 30 year discussion and Providence winning back to back is very impressive.

Did a little quick research
Last 30 years

OPRF- 1 title, 2 seconds, 10 finals appearances, last in 2015
Provi- 2 titles, 1 second, 5 finals appearances, last in 2015
JC- 3 titles, 3 seconds, 9 finals appearancees, last in 2013

All three are top programs. Would also throw Edwardsville in the mix, although they have not been to state since 2007

Recruits going to Vandy and Texas Tech.
That's a little more than reputation.
I read somewhere that since 2000-They have had 24 D-1 players. That's a lot of talent.
As I said earlier, I am surprised that they haven't won more.

Looks like Lemont vs JC in that Regional again. Gotta have Fellows vs them if possible.

Recruits going to Vandy and Texas Tech.
That's a little more than reputation.
I read somewhere that since 2000-They have had 24 D-1 players. That's a lot of talent.
As I said earlier, I am surprised that they haven't won more.

No one has won more than Joliet Catholic since 2000. They have 2 state championships, 2 seconds, a third and a fourth place finish. In addition, they have a summer state title. As demonstrated by the very small number of schools with multiple championships, winning a baseball title is really hard.

No one has won more than Joliet Catholic since 2000. They have 2 state championships, 2 seconds, a third and a fourth place finish. In addition, they have a summer state title. As demonstrated by the very small number of schools with multiple championships, winning a baseball title is really hard.
It is very, very hard. It's a single elimination tournament, which is a shame in baseball. JCA is an outstanding program, just in a meat-grinder of a regional every year.

Looks like Waterloo is #1 in 3A. They had this stud OF transfer in going to Arkansas and also have a pitcher going to Vandy. Probably JC /Lemont winner vs them. Maybe the 2 Vandy pitchers vs each other.

in the '05-'15 window MC won it in '13 and 2nd last year also 2nd in '05 to Lockport. I think that was close to last year of the 2 classes. Had to win 3 games in 2 days back then at the end. Plus Porter had kids in their 20s n the team LOL

in the '05-'15 window MC won it in '13 and 2nd last year also 2nd in '05 to Lockport. I think that was close to last year of the 2 classes. Had to win 3 games in 2 days back then at the end. Plus Porter had kids in their 20s n the team LOL
That year...Lockport beat JCA in the sectionals. There were a group of JC students down the right field line heckling Jake Christensen the whole game. In the early innings, they were needling him about being 20. By the end of the game, the taunts put him at 30. LOL

ADVERTISEMENT