ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Arlington Park to be sold for redevelopment

Its NFL football in "Chicago" they could fill 90k if they wanted. Especially in a dome. the only time my season tickets went to waste were in the dead cold and a bad team. Eliminate 1 or the other and you fill whatever size you wanted.

Reactions: ftballfan21
Its NFL football in "Chicago" they could fill 90k if they wanted. Especially in a dome. the only time my season tickets went to waste were in the dead cold and a bad team. Eliminate 1 or the other and you fill whatever size you wanted.
I m not so sure about the bears selling out in a 90,000 seat stadium.
I. Agree totally that a dome would attract many national events that we are currently not getting.
But in 2019 the last nfl season BC (before Covid) only one of nfls 32 teams averaged at least 80,000 fans per home game. That was Dallas. And it’s not like teams were selling out in less than 80,000 seat stadiums. Only the bears Saints and chargers sold out every game and the chargers played in a tiny soccer stadium so they don’t count.
i m not challenging location here. A stadium in Arlington heights makes for an easier game trip for those living in north and west suburbs. Playing at soldier field makes for an easier game trip for those living in chicago and the area around the Illinois/Indians border.
But there are many considerations besides location. For one, the soldier field season ticket holders paid for a seat license to have right to buy season tickets. The seat license money penalty would surely apply to new stadium with every prospective season ticket holder having to ante up for a new seat license.
Next the price of game tickets in a new stadium will almost certainly be higher than the ticket cost at soldier field. The price will keep many fans from attending based solely on cost.
Also the nfl experience is awesome when watching on tv at low cost.
I have read studies saying the trend on stadiums will be smaller rather than bigger . It’s the movie house concept in which smaller theatres try to create a better theatre experience.
football cost is going so high that basically corporations and millionaires will be the season ticket holders.
The Cubs are a good comparison. Right now attendance holds up because of the idea that attending a Cubs game is on everyone’s bucket list and ticket cost is not necessarily prohibitive yet.
the idea of the bears selling 60,000 season tickets and then another 30000 single game tickets might be a huge reach.
It would be interesting to see if an enormous dome would sell.
Washington built a stadium for around 90,000 plus fans and they have since taken out something like 20000 seats because they can’t sell them.
Interesting topic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT