ADVERTISEMENT

Oscar Gamble

RIP, South Side Hit Man

I always loved the banner, "Don't Gamble With Oscar" -- although it didn't compare to "Claudell Washington Slept Here"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-oscar-gamble-obit-20180131-story.html
Wow. I really liked him. What a 1977 season he had with the Sox and what hair.

That 1977 White Sox team could hit with anyone. But the Royals could hit too. The big difference was in the pitching and defense and the Royals were far better in those categories. And KC did win 102 games that year. Still the 1977 Sox were a lot of fun to watch. We went to 10-15 games that year.

Last edited:
Reactions: kpjasion
The Rangers were hot that year too.Cubs & White Sox both led for a long time in 77 but injuries did them in

I remember going to Comiskey in 77 while they were in 1st place, fun times.

Best hair in MLB history

And here is Jose Cardenal sliding head first to a close second in that category.

cardenal.jpg

I did some research on the 1977 season and it was pretty wild in the West. The Sox, Twins, Rangers and Royals had seen first place as late as August. From August 14th thru the 17th, the Sox, Twins then Rangers were in 1st place and the Royals were only 1 1/2 games out by the 17th.

By August 21st the Royals were in 1st place and stayed there. It was still pretty tight until September 2nd when the Royals built a 4 game lead over the Sox. By September 8th they had a 7 game lead. On the 14th they had a 9 game lead. On the 15th the lead was 10 1/2 over the Sox so someone must have played a DH.

By September 17th the Sox fell out of 2nd place and the Rangers took that spot and stayed there till the 20th. By the 22nd the Rangers were back in second place for good, 10 1/2 games back of the Royals. The Rangers finished 8 games back and the Sox ended up 12 back. If today's playoff structure had existed then, the Royals, Yankees, Orioles, Red Sox and Rangers would have made the playoffs. The Orioles and Red Sox both won 97 games and didn't see postseason.

The Eastern division race was pretty damned good too. The Red Sox were in 1st place as late as August 22nd. But the Yankees took over on August 23rd and were never out of 1st after that. it stayed pretty tight till the end but neither the Orioles or Red Sox could take the lead and they each finished 3 games out. 1977 was a very good year.

Reactions: USD24
I did some research on the 1977 season and it was pretty wild in the West. The Sox, Twins, Rangers and Royals had seen first place as late as August. From August 14th thru the 17th, the Sox, Twins then Rangers were in 1st place and the Royals were only 1 1/2 games out by the 17th.

By August 21st the Royals were in 1st place and stayed there. It was still pretty tight until September 2nd when the Royals built a 4 game lead over the Sox. By September 8th they had a 7 game lead. On the 14th they had a 9 game lead. On the 15th the lead was 10 1/2 over the Sox so someone must have played a DH.

By September 17th the Sox fell out of 2nd place and the Rangers took that spot and stayed there till the 20th. By the 22nd the Rangers were back in second place for good, 10 1/2 games back of the Royals. The Rangers finished 8 games back and the Sox ended up 12 back. If today's playoff structure had existed then, the Royals, Yankees, Orioles, Red Sox and Rangers would have made the playoffs. The Orioles and Red Sox both won 97 games and didn't see postseason.

The Eastern division race was pretty damned good too. The Red Sox were in 1st place as late as August 22nd. But the Yankees took over on August 23rd and were never out of 1st after that. it stayed pretty tight till the end but neither the Orioles or Red Sox could take the lead and they each finished 3 games out. 1977 was a very good year.

Great season. Some of my first and best memories of baseball were from that season. Sunday double headers at Comiskey with my dad and brother were the best

Great season. Some of my first and best memories of baseball were from that season. Sunday double headers at Comiskey with my dad and brother were the best

On July 1st of 1977, I went to the Sox/ Twins game at Comiskey in order to witness a .400 batter in July: Rod Carew. Regardless of him, the air was electrified ... a Friday night at Sox Park. In a couple years, the excitement will be back.

Reactions: whitesox05
I loved to watch him run in from center field -- kind of a slow gallop.
Lol... Late 70s to mid 80s was the golden era of baseball for me. Although I still have nightmares of Tito Landrum hitting that bomb off of Britt Burns in 83

Reactions: USD24
Lol... Late 70s to mid 80s was the golden era of baseball for me. Although I still have nightmares of Tito Landrum hitting that bomb off of Britt Burns in 83
While that may be nightmarish, my nightmare of that game is the 7th inning with that idiot Jerry Dybzinski rounding second and continuing on to third base when the guy in front of him stopped there! If the little moron stops at second base the Sox have the bases juiced with one out.

Of course he gets himself caught in a rundown and the runner from 3rd attempts to go home and is thrown out by a mile. Then to top it all off the next batter, Rudy Law, hits a deep fly to left center field that would have scored the runner from third but instead is the 3rd out. The run would have given the Sox a 1-0 lead and they would have won by that score as Baltimore didn't score until the 10th inning to win 3-0.

I am still pissed off at that! But you have to understand, it's only been 35 years. You have to give me time to get over it and heal. :)

Last edited:
While that may be nightmarish, my nightmare of that game is the 8th inning with that idiot Jerry Dybzinski rounding second and continuing on to third base when the guy in front of him stopped there! If the little moron stops at second base the Sox have the bases juiced with one out.

Of course he gets himself caught in a rundown and the runner from 3rd attempts to go home and is thrown out by a mile. Then to top it all off the next batter, Rudy Law, hits a deep fly to left center field that would have scored the runner from third but instead is the 3rd out. The run would have given the Sox a 1-0 lead and they would have won by that score as Baltimore didn't score until the 10th inning to win 3-0.

I am still pissed off at that! But you have to understand, it's only been 35 years. You have to give me time to get over it and heal. :)

To his credit, Dybzinski stuck around afterwards and gave a straight answer to every question. Not everyone would have had the guts to do that.

I, too, was terribly angry at the time. I had tickets for game 5 the next night.

I didn't fully recover until I attended game one of the World Series in 2005.

To his credit, Dybzinski stuck around afterwards and gave a straight answer to every question. Not everyone would have had the guts to do that.

I, too, was terribly angry at the time. I had tickets for game 5 the next night.

I didn't fully recover until I attended game one of the World Series in 2005.
Five tix for gave 5? Wow that hurts. So you remember the Sox had Cy Young winner Lamar Hoyt going the next day. No guarantee they would have won. But we'll never know. I agree, 2005 did take some of the sting away.

I suppose I could give Dybzinski a little credit for answering questions. But I am not going to. He should have owned up to his Little League play.

While that may be nightmarish, my nightmare of that game is the 8th inning with that idiot Jerry Dybzinski rounding second and continuing on to third base when the guy in front of him stopped there! If the little moron stops at second base the Sox have the bases juiced with one out.

I really liked that 83 White Sox starting pitching but that Baltimore starters had Flanigan, Boddicker, McGregor, Storm Davis and Palmer. Dennis Martinez was on that roster and did not even start. The Baltimore starting staff was my favorite of all time. Bummer the Sox had to run into that staff. If not they win the world series that year.

Last edited:
Baseball entertainment was great back then with Billy Martin, Earl Weaver, the Mad Hungarian and Morgana the kissing bandit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT