ADVERTISEMENT

Options HS Football players will have once they cancel fall sports

LovetheDrake2

Jun 23, 2020
Let's talk options and what you see families and players doing.

Do you see many of them moving to Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa, or Missouri to play? And if they do that will they use of their eligibility?

Do you see many of them taking a "gap" year and returning next year for their junior or senior year?

I heard that LT and Hinsdale were approached to play private "Club" Football in the fall if IHSA cancels. I assume many other high schools in the state may do the same since it would not be under IHSA and state regulations.

Do you see teams participating in 7 on 7 leagues in the fall?

Kids and parents want football and will find a way if they cancel the season. I hope the IHSA and the Governor are not naive to think that kids will just sit home and not do anything football related this fall. KIDS WILL PLAY SOME FOOTBALL in the fall, just may not look like it has in the past!

Thoughts??

I am sure most fall athletes will go the club route but it would be pretty difficult to do that for football without anything established. The cost alone would be prohibitive for many since you would need all new pads, helmets, uniforms, equipment, etc. Then you have to find a practice and game location. That will be challenging since I doubt high schools are going to make their facilities. It would be great if they could pull it off and maybe it would spell the end to the IHSA but seems like a lot to pull off in a short period time.

I am sure most fall athletes will go the club route but it would be pretty difficult to do that for football without anything established. The cost alone would be prohibitive for many since you would need all new pads, helmets, uniforms, equipment, etc. Then you have to find a practice and game location. That will be challenging since I doubt high schools are going to make their facilities. It would be great if they could pull it off and maybe it would spell the end to the IHSA but seems like a lot to pull off in a short period time.
Most Public High Schools have not made their fields available for Summer Baseball tournaments like they have in the past.

Taking a look at some other states around us. You may take a chance to move now, but nothing is certain around us as of yesterday. Don't think other states won't be affected by Illinois's decision because they made statements before Illinois pushed it back.

Indiana - Marion County (Indianapolis) is reassessing in 2 weeks but they have plans for an Oct fall sports start date which make them a limited 5 game season at most. (Indiana D3 conference football pushed to spring)
https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...lleyball-until-oct-1-indianapolis/5538479002/

Wisconsin - The Verona county school district (Madison) voted to virtual learn to start the year. More votes coming the next week. (Both Wisconsin D3 conference football seasons cancelled in fall)
https://madison.com/wsj/sports/high...cle_d83d98ef-2caf-59aa-8e98-d89b47d86180.html

Iowa - Announced a shortened 5 game schedule with 2 optional weeks, and an all-in playoff system. (D3 conference announced conference-only schedule) https://nonpareilonline.com/news/lo...cle_db87444c-d117-11ea-b617-8f13fc66e83b.html

Missouri - St. Louis area isn't looking vs the doctors orders..
https://news.stlpublicradio.org/edu...h-school-sports-st-louis-county-blows-whistle

Cross country, full-contact.

Making it long distances with linebackers or D-backs lurking behind every 5th tree, that might be interesting. :D

My younger brother started cross country as a freshman at 272 pounds since we didn't have football. By the end of his freshman season, he dropped to about 220. Fast...no. But you could set a clock on his mile splits, because he would just settle in and cruise along (he could break 20 minutes as a senior for the 3.1 miles). It was hilarious his freshman year...the fresh/soph/jv race for most duals/tris was everyone runs, so there might be 15 kids per school running. Wispy little 98 pound freshmen would laugh at my brother before the race, and half way through the race quit when he was beating them ("I quit...I cant even beat the big fat kid)...o_O

But your thoughts of linebackers every few trees is funny...a few courses they ran on every year had a bottleneck (one had a bridge over a creek) about a third of a mile in. My brother would be the seventh runner in some of those meets, with a team strategy of sprint to the bottleneck and see if anyone can get around him as he suddenly slowed down in the bottleneck. Hip checks and straight-arms were not unexpected in those days...

I suspect a lot of small town cross country programs are going to have their best teams in years, as coaches coerce their football & soccer players to run cross country in the fall...and then do weight lifting after CC practice. And I have to wonder if some big schools are suddenly going to have York-like CC turnouts?

Reactions: Gene K. and ignazio
ADVERTISEMENT