ADVERTISEMENT

Off Topic - Now What Theo?

A lot of similarities between the high school football team I pull for and the cubs. Talented and going going no where. Lol

That is one, dumb playoff system.
Couldn’t agree more! Basically punishes teams that have great year but finish in 2nd in their division. Hello Yankees! MLB should just reduce the ridiculously long regular season and start playoffs in mid September. Take the top 6 teams in each of AL and NL and rank 1 through 6 based on regular season record. Top 2 get first round bye and the next 4 play 3 out 5 series so forth and so on.

Ok enough about baseball.

MC vs PC, who you got? Please don’t let angst against Provi parents from before 1999 bias your opinion LOL

Reactions: ignazio
Amen. Cut a few games out of the regular season and make the wild card playoff a best of 3. A double-header hosted by the team with the better record could lead off that short series?

Always said that.Top 8 teams get in in each league.First round best of 3 with lower seed hosting game 1.Round 2 best of 5.Top seed host first 2 then lower seed next 2 if necessary then game 5 top seed host.League Championship best of 7.World Series Best of 7.Look at the Rays.Hottest team in second half.Left at home and considering they traded much of their stars away even more Amazing.Mariners also deserved playoffs as did Cards and Snakes

Couldn’t agree more! Basically punishes teams that have great year but finish in 2nd in their division.

You would rather they “punish” the team that came in first?
In the past, only division winners made the playoffs. They let more teams in, and yes, the do (and should) have a tougher road. If you don’t like the way the second place team is treated, don’t blow a five game lead over the last month and finish second!

Last edited:
I also lost some respect for the Cubbies for their I'm tired comments.Many of us average John Smith and Jane Doe people go to work half crippled, high temps, sick,etc.Can't afford to miss work got bills to pay.Can barely afford to take a family to see these guys play.Decent seats, parking,food,drink,merchandise,etc=$$$$$.Yet these guys get paid big big $$$,sit out if they are tired or stubbed a toe,1st class air fare,1st class hotels, top of the line food.To as Tom Selleck said in Mr.Baseball get paid a lot to play a kids game

Reactions: privatone
The thing, among many things, that really makes me want to puke is listening to the Cub fans saying, "it is ok. At least we got there. We have won more games than any team in baseball over the past four years and appeared in three NLCS series." So, what. The Royals have had better World Series success than the Cubs during that period and the Dodgers and Astros may be able to say the same before it's over.

This team was built to win more than one championship and their fans should demand it with the money ownership has spent and ticket prices in the stratosphere.

This team reminds me so much of the Bears of the 1980s. They won one championship then got complacent and lost their hunger. The Cubs have gotten progressively worse in the playoffs since the championship. Some guys remain hungry. Guys like Jon Lester, David Bote, Javy Baez, Ben Zobrist and for the most part Anthony Rizzo, hang their nuts out every game. Most of the rest fold like an envelope.

As for the WC game, I think it's a joke and should be eliminated altogether. Four teams get in and that's it. The WC game isn't a play OFF game, it's a play IN game. However, with that said, I would still be open to a 3-game Wild Card series.

The season doesn't need to be shortened, although if it was shorter this year the Cubs would have won their division. But I digress. All you have to do is to add scheduled doubleheaders. They could even be day, night doubleheaders with two gates. If you took a poll among players, I would be willing to bet the majority would go along with doubleheaders if it meant more days off. But the owners and players' union probably won't agree to that. It makes too much sense.

Eight teams in post season is far too many and quite frankly, it's a dumb idea. If that happened this year, the Angels in the AL would have gotten in with a 80-82 record. Sorry, that record isn't playoff-worthy and you really think they should be given a shot to win against the Red Sox and Yankees? In the NL under that format, the Pirates and Diamondbacks would have gotten in with 82-80 records. You lose 80 games and you should see post season? Not in my world.

Good column about the Cubs and their fans in today's Sun Times by Rick Morrissey.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/chicago-cubs-world-series-wild-card-theo-epstein-joe-maddon/

I think the toll playing 47 of the last 49 days of the season and playing 29 straight games in a row turned out to be the death of this team. You could see it last night, mentally not fresh, approach very poor.

To me a hitting coach can only do so much. After that its on the players. But all season long the approach was poor at the plate - often times there was no approach at all.

I like Joe Maddon and its hard to argue that this may have been his finest year keeping this all together. But changes need to be made.

Too many same or alike style hitters - no hit for average high OBP players.

The thing, among many things, that really makes me want to puke is listening to the Cub fans saying, "it is ok. At least we got there. We have won more games than any team in baseball over the past four years and appeared in three NLCS series." So, what. The Royals have had better World Series success than the Cubs during that period and the Dodgers and Astros may be able to say the same before it's over.

This team was built to win more than one championship and their fans should demand it with the money ownership has spent and ticket prices in the stratosphere.
Doesn't matter what the fans demand. The Ricketts family flipped the bill. What type of initial return did they get for Darvish and Chatwood? They got a decent 1/2 year of work out Morrow, but then again, he has a long injury history. The late moves for Murphy and Hammels helped, but those were stopgap moves. It will be interesting to see who is held accountable. Theo and Jed haven't exactly made great moves the last two years (I'd include the Quintana trade in the bad move category). Theo's resume wasn't great after the Red Sox won. He seems better as a builder than maintainer of talent. I'm guessing Theo and Jed are safe, though.

What's Maddon's status? He has one year left on his contract. The Strop injury was costly. Managing a bullpen seems to be Maddon's biggest weakness. How did hiring Chili Davis work out? They scored 1 or fewer runs in 40 games this year. And all those questions don't even address the players. Will be interesting to see what the Cubs do in the offseason. They are saddled with some awfully bad contracts (Darvish, Chatwood, Heyward etc.).

ADVERTISEMENT