ADVERTISEMENT

New Zoom: The Derg-Oh! Game authors Andy and Mick Peterson

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Andy and Mick Peterson have written a new book called The Derg-oh Game which takes a look back at the 2005 Class 6A Quarterfinal game between Joliet Catholic and Morris. It's a terrific read and a look back at what led up to what I've called the biggest win in Morris football history.

I'll have more details on how you can order the book and much more on the upcoming Zoom meeting.

Is there a book about the missed field goal in '99 at Memorial Stadium???
The year before the Dergo game(04) was the Morris vs JC title game. That was as dominant a performance as I can remember and that is part of the allure of the 05 rematch. Jc’s defense stifled dergo and a very talented Morris offense. I think he had 60 some yards on about 20 carries. Weather was bad, but it was a defensive clinic by JC and special teams pinned Morris deep repeatedly.
Sadly, Jeske graduated after that and was out of eligibility for the 05 game.

but the 05 game can’t be understood unless you look at the angst of the Morris fans from The four losses they had in the previous six years to the same JC program. Three of them crushing last second defeats and the 04 dominance.Had to make 05 that much sweeter for them.I prefer to remember 90, 99, 01, 03, and 04 personally....

Was 2001 the Lonesome Polecat game?
Quite a game plan by Dan Darlington in that game!

Was 2001 the Lonesome Polecat game?
Quite a game plan by Dan Darlington in that game!
Yep. Ended with Morris throwing an incomplete pass in end zone with under a minute to go.
They ran the polecat again in 04. But between the weather, the personnel (no Kennedy), and jc being ready for it, it was the inverse of 01 where jc lined up against it with confidence and Morris looked confused on where to line up.

In the 01 game it was good the wind was blowing because that limited the polecat to only being effective for two quarters. They broke it out the first play of quarter two. Had the weather been calmer and they could run it for four quarters, then the outcome is different. I believe darlington consulted with zeman that week to come up with the plan.

I remember the late Tom Peterson telling me the same thing.
Practiced it every week.

My wife and I went to that game and sat on the JCA side. I think we arrived there about 4:30 before the gates opened. The move where Dergo froze the defender and the sped by him was right in front of us. It was epic. Lots of fun to watch. I really miss HS football this year.

Reactions: Gene K.
We had practiced it every week leading up to the state championship. He may have done some consultation, but I practiced my snaps each week that season in preparation for it.
How were the polecat snaps different than traditional shotgun snaps? Was Benjy lined up deeper than a traditional shotgun snap? Or did Morris just always go under center so any shotgun/polecat snap requires practice.

just curious

Andy and Mick Peterson have written a new book called The Derg-oh Game which takes a look back at the 2005 Class 6A Quarterfinal game between Joliet Catholic and Morris. It's a terrific read and a look back at what led up to what I've called the biggest win in Morris football history.

I'll have more details on how you can order the book and much more on the upcoming Zoom meeting.

Edgy I seem to remember watching this online. Do you remember how it was broadcast? It was before NFHS.

Edgy I seem to remember watching this online. Do you remember how it was broadcast? It was before NFHS.
First Half

Second Half

I didn't watch these videos to verify they are what they say. I saw it Live, that's enough for me.

How were the polecat snaps different than traditional shotgun snaps? Was Benjy lined up deeper than a traditional shotgun snap? Or did Morris just always go under center so any shotgun/polecat snap requires practice.

just curious

Benjy was a bit deeper if I remember correctly, at like 7 yards. But I wasn’t the center, which was different. I normally played running back or receiver on offense but during Polecat, I came in and was the center, the end man on the line of scrimmage and eligible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT