ADVERTISEMENT

New study finds what we thought it would

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing! I am hopeful that "IF" our powers to be are using science as their guidance then we should play in Spring. But we will see.

I can see it now..... the naysayers and those who prefer to keep us shut down that post on this site, furiously trying to find a study or studies that contradict this because it doesn’t support their narrative.
I’m sure the governor is logging into a high school football chat room and taking advice from guys named Crispy and Greatgig.

Nah, he gets his marching orders from Biden, Schumer and Pelosi.
I don’t think he takes marching orders from anyone. He doesn’t need the job or the money. Just like he can push a tax on the wealthy when his wealth is protected. Who knows what drives him but he’s steering the ship. Perhaps the Titanic...

Conspiracy? I don't know about that but policy coordination between governors and presidential campaigns during an election year...most certainly.

Minnesota, New Jersey and Michigan are playing. I guess they didn't hold the line.

I'll ask again....how many teachers' unions are advocating for a resumption or even an increase of in-person learning? Others have mentioned it. Tough to see sports returning when the majority of school districts are still remote learning.

I'll ask again....how many teachers' unions are advocating for a resumption or even an increase of in-person learning? Others have mentioned it. Tough to see sports returning when the majority of school districts are still remote learning.

Sports have returned. Just not the ones I care about.

Sports have returned. Just not the ones I care about.
So the majority of IL teachers' unions would be okay with the resumption of higher risk sports prior to the resumption of at least a majority (more than two days a week) of in-house schooling?

So the majority of IL teachers' unions would be okay with the resumption of higher risk sports prior to the resumption of at least a majority (more than two days a week) of in-house schooling?

Sports are already being played on empty campuses.
The teacher's unions do not care about sports. They would only get involved if the coaches did not feel it was safe to coach.

Reactions: Coach Percy
Sports are already being played on empty campuses.
The teacher's unions do not care about sports. They would only get involved if the coaches did not feel it was safe to coach.
Sports that are perceived to be low risk.

No one in the teacher's union cares if football is played. They do not have to be out there with them unless they want to.
Here is the point I'm making. And it will be my last post on the topic. It's connected. Teachers' unions do not want in-house schooling. They have influence on that, IMO. Without in-house schooling, sports that are perceived to be high risk will not be played.

Reactions: Gene K. and NNFAN
Is that how you read into my response? Lol.
Actually whether you’re a covid follower or denier, coming into this forum with supporting reports is a waste of time. If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is there, including our bloated governor, will anybody hear it?

Pennsylvania, the state I grew up in, starts the state football playoffs this Friday. Most teams only got to play a six game regular season due to the late start. The first few weeks they didn't allow fans, cheerleaders, or even parents to attend the games. The last few weeks they started to allow the band, cheerleaders, and a limited number of fans in (socially distanced). The games are available to watch live (online) so that those that can't attend can watch their son/daughter/friends perform or play. I think this model would have worked here in Illinois.

Pennsylvania, the state I grew up in, starts the state football playoffs this Friday. Most teams only got to play a six game regular season due to the late start. The first few weeks they didn't allow fans, cheerleaders, or even parents to attend the games. The last few weeks they started to allow the band, cheerleaders, and a limited number of fans in (socially distanced). The games are available to watch live (online) so that those that can't attend can watch their son/daughter/friends perform or play. I think this model would have worked here in Illinois.
Agreed.... if our so called leaders would have had the intestinal fortitude to do so. However, that would have gone directly against the grain of their political agendas.

Here is the point I'm making. And it will be my last post on the topic. It's connected. Teachers' unions do not want in-house schooling. They have influence on that, IMO. Without in-house schooling, sports that are perceived to be high risk will not be played.

You do not know much about teacher's unions and their lack of interest in sports being played or not.

Reactions: IgorStL
You do not know much about teacher's unions and their lack of interest in sports being played or not.
Okay. I lied. Here's another post. The teacher unions don't have to care about sports. I'm saying they influence the governor. If they are against returning to in-house schooling, higher risk sports will not be played. The optics would be terrible. It would be as if they are saying: it's unsafe for kids to be physically in school, but it's safe for kids to play basketball. Basketball is indoors. It's not socially distant. It involves physical contact. And, it's not going to happen as long as kids are not going to in-house classes.

Okay. I lied. Here's another post. The teacher unions don't have to care about sports. I'm saying they influence the governor. If they are against returning to in-house schooling, higher risk sports will not be played. The optics would be terrible. It would be as if they are saying: it's unsafe for kids to be physically in school, but it's safe for kids to play basketball. Basketball is indoors. It's not socially distant. It involves physical contact. And, it's not going to happen as long as kids are not going to in-house classes.

I don't think many people disagree with your logic on this. It's just more bad news no one wants to hear right now.

So 126 schools reporting data have 86 cases. This is supposed to be good news? How many other cases did those 86 lead to I wonder? I clicked this link hoping to be cheered up and am disappointed.

So 126 schools reporting data have 86 cases. This is supposed to be good news? How many other cases did those 86 lead to I wonder? I clicked this link hoping to be cheered up and am disappointed.
It's tremendous news because that is such a small percentage. Since we know we'll never get rid of it 100% and most everyone will come in contact with the virus no matter what, it's awesome to see how little impact sports played in transmission. It's great data to show that we can actually live normal lives and allow the least affected population to fulfill the opportunities they deserve.

It's tremendous news because that is such a small percentage. Since we know we'll never get rid of it 100% and most everyone will come in contact with the virus no matter what, it's awesome to see how little impact sports played in transmission. It's great data to show that we can actually live normal lives and allow the least affected population to fulfill the opportunities they deserve.

Yeah, I looked back and saw the part i was referring to was a survey of 162 football teams, with a little over 8000 participants. So that's not a crazy transmission rate. Some encouragement, although it was during September when the covid numbers in the community in general weren't as large.

ADVERTISEMENT