ADVERTISEMENT

My Take: Fall Back and Spring Ahead

I could sense phone calls being made, inquiries being inquired and rental trucks being reserved for all points surrounding the Land of Lincoln. Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana (God no not Indiana!) Missouri and beyond will be potential landing spots for many of our state's finest players like it or not.
I suppose nothing should surprise in the youth sports arena anymore, but I'll be interested to see how many kids/families actually move to another state for the primary purpose of playing football. Seems like a very risky endeavor, given the fluid nature of this pandemic and its effect on schools and sports. Some have already made the point in other threads, but what are the odds some of the neighboring states' plans to move forward with football actually hold? I'd be awfully leery of that if I was thinking of making a move to another state primarily so my kid could play football.

I know what I don't know. What I don't know is what I would do if my kid was an incoming senior football player with interest from college fb programs, but no offers. I would guess that a post grad program would be the answer for many, but transferring to an out of state high school is playing the odds that my kid would not be in the same position he is in today a few weeks down the road.
I don't think there are any good answers.

I have never understood the idea of parents moving their kids for any sport alone, let alone football. These are, for the most part, the same parents who are idiots when their kids are playing youth sports. They are the ones yelling at refs and umpires and making asses out of themselves. Same ones. They are the ones who think their kid will play big time college sports and eventually play MLB baseball, NFL football or NBA basketball. We have all seen it.

But, I have no problem with any parent who moves into a new school district if they feel the new district will offer a better education first. And I have no problem with a parent who wants to put their kid into a private school if the kid really wants to attend or the parent feels the kid will get a better education.

I get it and expected people to transfer but it’s just a really risk on so many levels. I’ve said it on other threads and I’ll say it on this one, I’ll be stunned if these states finish their seasons or even start them when it gets down to it. Your making a major life change for a 4 min HUDL film. It’s just about Aug, if your son is a senior doesn’t have numerous D1 offers yet it’s probably not going to happen especially if he moves. If your son does have D1 offers, Congrats, pick one and feel blessed.

Last edited:
Reactions: skeetz45
I get it and expected people to transfer but it’s just a really risky on so many levels. I’ve said it on other threads and I’ll say it on this one, I’ll be stunned if these states finish their seasons or even start them when it gets down to it. Your making a major life change for a 4 min HUDL film. It’s just about Aug, if your son is a senior doesn’t have numerous D1 offers yet it’s probably not going to happen especially if he moves. If your son does have D1 offers, Congrats, pick one and feel blessed.

Agreed. Saw Montini kid going to New Smyrna in Florida - can't wait 6 months so goes to the EPICENTER of Covid19 - Florida- to play ball. I cant be the only one going" whaaaa??"

From my perspective, I think the plan for football is reasonable all things considered, however, I feel lots of other sports got screwed.

Spring sport athletes who lost all of last time now are seeing their season cut in more than half and girls volleybal, soccer and lacrosse athletes who will now likely need to choose between playing for their school and club.

The volleyball one is the one which boggles my mind the most. Moving their season into the middle of peak recruiting is an F you to club sports.

I said it in another thread - if you are so good a coach in another state is going to take you on and give you a starting spot as a senior out-of-state transfer, you very likely already have the offers and you should pick one. Why would a coach who has already been successful with the players he has in the system upset the balance to start a "rental player". I saw a tweet from a Naz player yesterday saying he is moving to a Missouri private school that has won the last 7 State Titles. I question why that coach needs him, and why that player feels he MUST play this fall.

I'm seeing a lot of chatter on possible title 9 issues with the girls sports moved to summer being less equal then boys counterparts

I get it and expected people to transfer but it’s just a really risky on so many levels. I’ve said it on other threads and I’ll say it on this one, I’ll be stunned if these states finish their seasons or even start them when it gets down to it. Your making a major life change for a 4 min HUDL film. It’s just about Aug, if your son is a senior doesn’t have numerous D1 offers yet it’s probably not going to happen especially if he moves. If your son does have D1 offers, Congrats, pick one and feel blessed.

My son told me if a kid has no offers and will be a senior, he probably is not talented enough . Hard fact to accept.

My son told me if a kid has no offers and will be a senior, he probably is not talented enough . Hard fact to accept.
Exactly, and going to a new school to play for a coach and program for 2 months is going to make it less possible. Your going to walk into a school and take some kids spot who has been loyal to the program for 4 years? With 3 weeks before kickoff? Good luck

I said it in another thread - if you are so good a coach in another state is going to take you on and give you a starting spot as a senior out-of-state transfer, you very likely already have the offers and you should pick one. Why would a coach who has already been successful with the players he has in the system upset the balance to start a "rental player". I saw a tweet from a Naz player yesterday saying he is moving to a Missouri private school that has won the last 7 State Titles. I question why that coach needs him, and why that player feels he MUST play this fall.
i was told he's going to dowling Catholic in west des moines.

For an overwhelming minority.

Well when kids transfer they get the social media attention. No one ever really goes back and checks how many turn out to make bad decisions. You only here about the ones who do well.

We had a good player for us a few years ago go to one of the local transfer factories. He could not get on the field and quit before the season ended at his new place.

Reactions: McCaravan
So when do you think it is appropriate for IHSA to announce the football plans for 21-22? Obviously way to early to say anything right now or a couple months. But speaking of kids leaving...if things don't improve and/or for whatever reason IHSA says football will not be in the fall for fall of 21, could we see more kids looking to go somewhere else? Especially rising juniors who may not want to wait another full year when close states would be playing fall 21?

The timeline will have to be different next year as far as when sports season announcement

So when do you think it is appropriate for IHSA to announce the football plans for 21-22? Obviously way to early to say anything right now or a couple months. But speaking of kids leaving...if things don't improve and/or for whatever reason IHSA says football will not be in the fall for fall of 21, could we see more kids looking to go somewhere else? Especially rising juniors who may not want to wait another full year when close states would be playing fall 21?

The timeline will have to be different next year as far as when sports season announcement

You have close to a year before that decision needs to be made. Have to see how other states do with fall football. Do we actually play in spring? If we play in spring we will play in fall. If we do not play in spring probably will not in fall of 21 either.

Reactions: Gene K.
I don't know if that's true in every case. Maybe a school chooses a kid before yours. Then the kid they chose decides to go somewhere else. That should free up the money so your kid could attend. Couldn't that happen when a kid is a senior? I am just asking a question. I know Covid doesn't have anything to do with this. Any thoughts?

I do think here in Illinois, as much as the people in charge want to say, "it's too dangerous for some" they also are meaning they don't want to take responsibility or become liable if a surge happens. That's fine, but please stop making it sound like you really care about the kids. Please!

Reactions: Gene K.

it’s more about those seniors that already have offers , like from MAC teams, and have a real chance of moving up with a good senior year. There are plenty of those that will never get the chance. I can think of a few running backs that played for good 8A programs but only started last year as juniors. They have offers but a 1,200 Td, 25 Td season (which would have happened), and the bigs could come in

it’s more about those seniors that already have offers , like from MAC teams, and have a real chance of moving up with a good senior year. There are plenty of those that will never get the chance. I can think of a few running backs that played for good 8A programs but only started last year as juniors. They have offers but a 1,200 Td, 25 Td season (which would have happened), and the bigs could come in
Most guys that have MAC or other offers aren't "moving up" based on senior year film. When they say they need to see your senior year film. They are just stringing you along and a nice way to say you aren't our guy.

Most guys that have MAC or other offers aren't "moving up" based on senior year film. When they say they need to see your senior year film. They are just stringing you along and a nice way to say you aren't our guy.
Agree 100 percent...this or you are the guys...behind this guy, and that guy..and maybe one or two other guys.

Your kid is wise beyond his years. The truth hurts and I will add that a lot of times it’s the parents pushing more than the kid.
Corey, I disagree from personal experience.

Most but not all, and it does happen. This is why big schools always hold back a few scholarships. If they didn’t then everything would be based off junior year performance for those that were not starting on varsity as a sophomore

Corey, I disagree from personal experience.

Maybe I should say the percentages are against it happening. Their are always exceptions but they are the few. Your personal experience is one of the few. I will say never say never but it’s a hard road if your not noticed before you senior year.

Maybe I should say the percentages are against it happening. Their are always exceptions but they are the few. Your personal experience is one of the few. I will say never say never but it’s a hard road if your not noticed before you senior year.
Especially at a brand new school

Honestly it depends how a class fills out. With all the knee jerk commitments that happened this spring there will likely be a lot of movement before early signing day.
Depending on where the season lands for FBS and FCS there may be changes to regular signing day. And there is always the chance to walk on at a school after they’ve signed their class and see what their roster holes are. So everyone hold on to your seats this is going to be a bumpy ride but in reality only a few minor tweaks unless colleges get totally cancelled for 20-21. They aren’t really expecting To play fall either so just go with the flow.

What would stop a player from moving to Wisconsin or Indiana playing football this Fall then coming back home and playing this Spring in Illinois?

But that has been since answered by the IHSA that you can play in the fall in another state and then in the spring.
I hope everyone that transfers, starts practicing with another team, gets shut down and transfers back knows that voluntarily leaving the state is in fact a decision in their control and will likely not be looked upon favorably upon return. So if you’re planning on leaving just to play a sport you better like where you’re going to be and stay the whole year. Because you could end up playing nowhere.

ADVERTISEMENT