ADVERTISEMENT

My apologies to the 3A field

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
Aside from Byron, I would like to offer my apologies to all other teams in the 3A field. At some point in the playoffs I proclaimed the Wilmo/Byron game as the de-facto state championship game. After watching Byron destroy Wilmington, Princeton put up a fight to Byron (at least according to the score), and then seeing the most exciting finals game I can remember with Williamsville earning the title, I believe I was horribly mistaken in the quality of 3A. I also believe that Wilmington was extremely overrated. They really didn't beat anybody of note and their two losses on the year were heavily one-sided. I'm a homer for sure, but I'm realistic and our own worst critic!

Hey if everyone here apologized for their mistakes we'd be reading nothing but apologies. Byron and Williamsville were very impressive teams.

Sangamo is a pretty good small school league and the ICE was definitely in a down year.

Reactions: Gene K.
Aside from Byron, I would like to offer my apologies to all other teams in the 3A field. At some point in the playoffs I proclaimed the Wilmo/Byron game as the de-facto state championship game. After watching Byron destroy Wilmington, Princeton put up a fight to Byron (at least according to the score), and then seeing the most exciting finals game I can remember with Williamsville earning the title, I believe I was horribly mistaken in the quality of 3A. I also believe that Wilmington was extremely overrated. They really didn't beat anybody of note and their two losses on the year were heavily one-sided. I'm a homer for sure, but I'm realistic and our own worst critic!
7-3 was Byron Princeton final..just throwin it in:)

Thought the 3A ending was the best all weekend..

Sangamo is a pretty good small school league and the ICE was definitely in a down year.

That and their OOC scheduling did them no favors. Big school or not, they weren't very tough opponents. I'm waiting for some of the following opponents:

Morris
Prairie Central
Mac
Maroa
Fieldcrest
Spring Valley (again)

I get it.. Princeton doesn't have the history that Wilmatucky and Byron have, oops forgot to mention Mt Carmel's history..

Thanks for mentioning Princeton though..it's cool to see them recognized along with Rips chicken..

That and their OOC scheduling did them no favors. Big school or not, they weren't very tough opponents. I'm waiting for some of the following opponents:

Morris
Prairie Central
Mac
Maroa
Fieldcrest
Spring Valley (again)

Looks like they have same schedule next season according to the 8to18 site.

Wilmington consistently a 3A power, but I agree, this years team was overrated. They were doing well until week 8 when CC exposed their lack of offense and Byron embarrassed them in the quarters shutting them out. Williamsville beat a very good Byron team (back to back title appearances) and is a very deserving 3A champion.

ICE is a very nice conference, but it is not the same as the I-8 of the first 15 years of Manteno playing football. But we're complaining about a conference where 5 of the 8 schools made the playoffs, with a 4A semi-finalist and a 3A quarterfinalist...not too shabby. But our standards are pretty high in ICE territory...

Basically almost every year since Manteno started playing football there was two major 4A powers, along with the very consistent Wilmington and another decent small division team. Plano had an awesome run, Sandwich had a nice period, R/C made the playoffs 4 times in 5 years 05-09, Seneca had a couple nice years, Herscher had a 4 year & 5 year playoff stretch. Manteno now 9 in 10 seasons, Peotone 8 playoffs but only one season with less than 3 wins.

The revised conference with 5 3A schools and only 2 4A and 5A Streator lacks the depth the I8 usually had. The top, Wilmington & Coal City, likely will remain atop, while Manteno should stabilize back into an annual playoff contender. But Herscher's crash looks to be pretty deep, R/C hasn't been good for 10 years, Streator is a basket case. Lisle & Peotone look like they are going to remain consistent in a playoff hunt.

The Coalers basically have the depth of schedule with Morris & Mac, and a willingness to play all comers...

Can the 'Cats get enough depth in a non-con schedule to prepare sufficiently? Sure, Evergreen Park made the 5A playoffs, and Oak Lawn Community is a bad 7A team, but...some have suggested that the 'Cats need a little more catnip in the offense as well.

Manteno went looking for non-con games for the first time and picked Canton, '17 4A semi-finalist, and Morris, '17 4A runner up...maybe a little too meaty. The Panthers return their 3 year starters at QB, LT, and a couple receivers. Numbers problems have given the Panthers a couple of years with sophs getting a lot of experience, so they have some depth returning - along with the freshman who started on defense early in the season.

Basically at least one of the three teams at the bottom has to rise to make ICE as consistent as the old I-8...

Honestly I think Wilmington needs to get at least one tough non con game. Doesn’t matter if it’s a 3A, 4A or 5A team. I know playing Morris early in the last two seasons has helped the Coalers, especially this year with a win against Mac the next week. It was definitely a confidence boost. Problem is the ICE was down this year. It happens with smaller school conferences. I’m sure there will be plenty of years that it will be very competitive. Byron could of won that awesome state finals game so Wilmington has nothing to be ashamed of. Same with the Coalers. Richmond Burton was just hands down the best 4A team. It happens, in a playoff game someone has to lose. In those two games the better teams win. Good thing is next season gives everyone a new chance to make a run

I don't know....... great teams don't get blown out like Wilmo and CC did.

I get Byron was one of the best, and RB was the best, in their respective classes, but there must have been a huge gap between the top and the rest.

Am I being too negative, probably but its December and we are 9 months away from kickoff so it is what it is.

A tougher non con for Wilmington would probably be beneficial.
Wilmington is known for pounding the rock, but their best teams have shown an ability to throw it a bit. I know they made some efforts this year in that department. Continuing to work on a little offensive diversity should be helpful too. Seems like you will always eventually run into an opponent that can shut down the run game pretty well.

Reactions: McEvergreen

I get Byron was one of the best, and RB was the best, in their respective classes, but there must have been a huge gap between the top and the rest.

Am I being too negative, probably but its December and we are 9 months away from kickoff so it is what it is.
I believe that Byron is better than Wilmington and Richmond Burton is better than CC this year. Are they 30 points better than both. I cant say for Wilmington because I didnt see the game but comparing the two form different games I say no. And I do not think RB is 30 points better than CC. I eould say two touchdowns better. CC played their worst game of the year and RB played flawless

I get it.. Princeton doesn't have the history that Wilmatucky and Byron have, oops forgot to mention Mt Carmel's history..

Thanks for mentioning Princeton though..it's cool to see them recognized along with Rips chicken..

It's been years ago, but I also loved the drive-thru liquor store there as well besides it being a very nice small town.

Wilmington and CC are not great teams as you said. The lack of the weak ICE conference did not help either team. Richmond Burton could of scored a lot more but controlled the clock and game. IC gave RB the best game and Stillman played IC close until the 4th Quarter. CC #1 seed put them in a good spot avoiding IC and Stillman. CC would not win 3A in my opinion. Lots of work needed in Wilmington and CC to be in a state title game.

Wilmington consistently a 3A power, but I agree, this years team was overrated. They were doing well until week 8 when CC exposed their lack of offense and Byron embarrassed them in the quarters shutting them out. Williamsville beat a very good Byron team (back to back title appearances) and is a very deserving 3A champion.
Wilmington was overrated I agree. Everyone goes by your record but in reality it’s who you beat and how good of a team you beat. CC beating Morris who did nothing in the playoffs and B Mac losing to Murphysboro showed their lack of strength this year. It is definitely better playing Morris and Mac in the years they are not at the top but CC should keep them on the schedule.

EP is a good non conf for Wilmington. Even when they are down, they are a physical 4A team with decent speed. Drop the Oak Lawns of the world and add a Stillman, Tolono, or Prairie Central. I believe they used to play Hall non conf years ago if I'm not mistaken? I know a lot of scheduling has to do with travel.

Reactions: doctor_d
Wilmington and CC are not great teams as you said. The lack of the weak ICE conference did not help either team. Richmond Burton could of scored a lot more but controlled the clock and game. IC gave RB the best game and Stillman played IC close until the 4th Quarter. CC #1 seed put them in a good spot avoiding IC and Stillman. CC would not win 3A in my opinion. Lots of work needed in Wilmington and CC to be in a state title game.

Regarding CC I think they deserve a bit more credit than u you are alluding to. In the R-B game, they got jumped on early, had a TD called back and things got sideways pretty quickly. You seem to be omitting the fact that CC handled St Francis fairy easily the previous round. If you wanna do the whole comparative score thing, St. Francis beat IC. I think the best team (R-B) won for sure, but CC was a very good team.

It's been years ago, but I also loved the drive-thru liquor store there as well besides it being a very nice small town.
J&J One Stop right across the street from the Bureau County Fairgrounds. I worked there Once upon a time, Got invited to a lot of party’s. You could get a loaf of bread to a keg of beer.

A tougher non con for Wilmington would probably be beneficial.
Wilmington is known for pounding the rock, but their best teams have shown an ability to throw it a bit. I know they made some efforts this year in that department. Continuing to work on a little offensive diversity should be helpful too. Seems like you will always eventually run into an opponent that can shut down the run game pretty well.
Mr. Bulletin Board

EP is a good non conf for Wilmington. Even when they are down, they are a physical 4A team with decent speed. Drop the Oak Lawns of the world and add a Stillman, Tolono, or Prairie Central. I believe they used to play Hall non conf years ago if I'm not mistaken? I know a lot of scheduling has to do with travel.

Very easy to suggest adding Stillman Valley, Tolono or Prairie Central. Problem...Big Northern is a 10 team round robin conference. Illini Prairie is another 10 team round robin conference. There might be a better chance of trying to poach PC & Pontiac and going back to a closed conference...

Maybe its time to look for a conference shootout? Kishwaukee river? only 6 schools, but Richmond-Burton played Johnsburg twice and the Woodstock schools played each other twice, so there is an apparent scheduling issue there...

Regarding CC I think they deserve a bit more credit than u you are alluding to. In the R-B game, they got jumped on early, had a TD called back and things got sideways pretty quickly. You seem to be omitting the fact that CC handled St Francis fairy easily the previous round. If you wanna do the whole comparative score thing, St. Francis beat IC. I think the best team (R-B) won for sure, but CC was a very good team.
CC was a decent team but not Great. They were not a state championship team. I am not doing the comparison game because Wheaton beat IC. Wheaton QB was hurt and the backup beat IC. The starting QB returned for the CC Game and clearly was not ready. His passes were way off his receivers and he played cautious due to the cast on his hand. The back up QB maybe would of played better but Wheaton was not a state title team either. I didn’t think CC played bad against RB but they were clearly outmatched. If comparing IC played RB better the week before. CC and Wilmington will be strong teams again next year.

CC was a decent team but not Great. They were not a state championship team. I am not doing the comparison game because Wheaton beat IC. Wheaton QB was hurt and the backup beat IC. The starting QB returned for the CC Game and clearly was not ready. His passes were way off his receivers and he played cautious due to the cast on his hand. The back up QB maybe would of played better but Wheaton was not a state title team either. I didn’t think CC played bad against RB but they were clearly outmatched. If comparing IC played RB better the week before. CC and Wilmington will be strong teams again next year.
CC was more than decent. If they were in the south, they would've coasted to the title game. With that being said and them being in the north I had them behind RB and IC. Either way, they were a title contender and top 5 4A team. Certainly warrants more than a "decent" label.

CC was much better than decent. The games I saw, they were an absolute force on both sides of the ball. Nobody was going to beat RB in 4A. That team would have given Rochester a run for their money in 5A.

Very easy to suggest adding Stillman Valley, Tolono or Prairie Central. Problem...Big Northern is a 10 team round robin conference. Illini Prairie is another 10 team round robin conference. There might be a better chance of trying to poach PC & Pontiac and going back to a closed conference...

Maybe its time to look for a conference shootout? Kishwaukee river? only 6 schools, but Richmond-Burton played Johnsburg twice and the Woodstock schools played each other twice, so there is an apparent scheduling issue there...
and bringing Seneca back in

CC has their worst game against the hands down best team in 4A and now they are just decent. I disagree, I believe they are the second best 4A team this year. Their one weakness on D was teams that want to pound the ball right at them and nobody does that better than RB. CC defense matches up so good against spread teams, they would of beat IC by two scores

and bringing Seneca back in

If you are looking to improve ICE football, bringing back Seneca isn't going to help. Or Dwight.

Dwight was 3-6, beat 0-9 Hoopeston, 1-8 Iroquois West (who only beat Hoopeston), and 1-8 Momence (who only beat IW). Without the GSW co-op, the Trojans are down to the 250s enrollment range...

Seneca was 5-5, but...Momence, IW, & Dwight were 3 wins, 4-5 Shelbyville, and 7-4 Watseka were other wins...and Paxton was the only 3A they played prior to the playoffs. And the Irish are going to shrink into the 2A SVC...

The logical addition, but never going to happen without districts, would be McNamara...or a conference reshuffling again, which isn't pleasant...GIve it a week and see what happens with the districts elimination vote...

If you are looking to improve ICE football, bringing back Seneca isn't going to help. Or Dwight.

Dwight was 3-6, beat 0-9 Hoopeston, 1-8 Iroquois West (who only beat Hoopeston), and 1-8 Momence (who only beat IW). Without the GSW co-op, the Trojans are down to the 250s enrollment range...

Seneca was 5-5, but...Momence, IW, & Dwight were 3 wins, 4-5 Shelbyville, and 7-4 Watseka were other wins...and Paxton was the only 3A they played prior to the playoffs. And the Irish are going to shrink into the 2A SVC...

The logical addition, but never going to happen without districts, would be McNamara...or a conference reshuffling again, which isn't pleasant...GIve it a week and see what happens with the districts elimination vote...
Sounds like Wilmington's non conf isn't getting tougher anytime soon.

Last edited:
Coal City was the #1 seed in 4A. Period. Why? Because they played a 7 win and 6 win team non-conference, and ended up with 43 playoff points. Five of the eight schools in the conference made the playoffs, meaning CC played six playoff teams in the regular season. The only 9-0 teams with more playoff points were Mt. Carmel and Mt. Zion, with several tied with the Coalers...

RB clearly proved to the the best in 4A. The bottom of the 4A quarter teams is easy to figure out...McNamara was 0-4 against teams in the quarters (CC, SF, IC, Murphy). Prairie Central was the other relatively easy to figure out, third in their conference where 1 & 2 lost to Mac & Murphy. SF beat IC without their star QB, while CC beat SF his first game back...what does a game between IC & CC look like? At CC, probably not different from the CC-SF game; at Plunkett on turf, ?

CC was the second best in 4A. They played their worst game of the season in the semis against RB. If the early drive results in the TD instead of the penalty calling it back and missing the FG, who knows? But RB sustained several drives with great catches on third down. Turn the ball over, and who knows? RB showed sufficient balance on offense to get the job done. If RB & CC played ten times, I figure each likely wins 4 games...the other two probably are up to penalties, turnovers, the vagaries of a bouncing football.

Coal City was the #1 seed in 4A. Period. Why? Because they played a 7 win and 6 win team non-conference, and ended up with 43 playoff points. Five of the eight schools in the conference made the playoffs, meaning CC played six playoff teams in the regular season. The only 9-0 teams with more playoff points were Mt. Carmel and Mt. Zion, with several tied with the Coalers...

RB clearly proved to the the best in 4A. The bottom of the 4A quarter teams is easy to figure out...McNamara was 0-4 against teams in the quarters (CC, SF, IC, Murphy). Prairie Central was the other relatively easy to figure out, third in their conference where 1 & 2 lost to Mac & Murphy. SF beat IC without their star QB, while CC beat SF his first game back...what does a game between IC & CC look like? At CC, probably not different from the CC-SF game; at Plunkett on turf, ?

CC was the second best in 4A. They played their worst game of the season in the semis against RB. If the early drive results in the TD instead of the penalty calling it back and missing the FG, who knows? But RB sustained several drives with great catches on third down. Turn the ball over, and who knows? RB showed sufficient balance on offense to get the job done. If RB & CC played ten times, I figure each likely wins 4 games...the other two probably are up to penalties, turnovers, the vagaries of a bouncing football.

I agree with most of what you said with one exception. I think if RB and CC play 10 times, RB wins 7 or 8 of them. RB flat got after it up front and had some talent at the skill positions that at least matched CC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT