ADVERTISEMENT

My Advise....JUCO over Transferring

McCaravan

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2016
I know some D1 committed guys, if able, will finish up their High School Credits in December and head for their Universities they committed to in January, and I understand that. But these kids that are so hell bent on getting that D1 scholarship and haven't received any offers yet, or your not in serious talks with a school, you have to accept the hard realization that it's probably not going to happen and transferring for what will probably be a partial season somewhere else won't help.

I know some of these players worked their asses off in the off season and didn't get their chance to show case their talents in the Summer Camps, I too believe that transferring won't get them noticed any sooner....My advise, if you want my two cents, is have them really consider JUCO. Playing for a few weeks (most likely) at a new school with a new coaching staff and players isn't going to help their cause. The season kicks off in 3 weeks, you have to learn the playbook and earn your playing time over a kid whose been loyal to them for 3 seasons.

Stay with your team, play the Spring season if it happens.....see what kind of attention you draw from that, and if nothing, and you still think you belong in D1, hit the JUCO trail, it's really going to be your best option at this point.

Prep school is expensive but a better route if you think you are that good. There is one Juco in Illinois. If you want to pay at a good JUCO in Kansas or Mississippi, you better be a certain D1 kid as the competition for those spots is fierce.

Prep school is expensive but a better route if you think you are that good. There is one Juco in Illinois. If you want to pay at a good JUCO in Kansas or Mississippi, you better be a certain D1 kid as the competition for those spots is fierce.
Iowa has several too

Reactions: Schwab54
I know some D1 committed guys, if able, will finish up their High School Credits in December and head for their Universities they committed to in January, and I understand that. But these kids that are so hell bent on getting that D1 scholarship and haven't received any offers yet, or your not in serious talks with a school, you have to accept the hard realization that it's probably not going to happen and transferring for what will probably be a partial season somewhere else won't help.

I know some of these players worked their asses off in the off season and didn't get their chance to show case their talents in the Summer Camps, I too believe that transferring won't get them noticed any sooner....My advise, if you want my two cents, is have them really consider JUCO. Playing for a few weeks (most likely) at a new school with a new coaching staff and players isn't going to help their cause. The season kicks off in 3 weeks, you have to learn the playbook and earn your playing time over a kid whose been loyal to them for 3 seasons.

Stay with your team, play the Spring season if it happens.....see what kind of attention you draw from that, and if nothing, and you still think you belong in D1, hit the JUCO trail, it's really going to be your best option at this point.

yeah this isn't the 1990's anymore and no Juco in Arizona, one Juco in Illinois and most have residence restrictions depending upon each state rules. Prep School is also a gamble and not cheap.

Totally agree about the pitfalls of transferring now and zero guarantee no matter how "good" you might be...and also a huge fan of non football kids taking the Juco route as well.

yeah this isn't the 1990's anymore and no Juco in Arizona, one Juco in Illinois and most have residence restrictions depending upon each state rules. Prep School is also a gamble and not cheap.

Totally agree about the pitfalls of transferring now and zero guarantee no matter how "good" you might be...and also a huge fan of non football kids taking the Juco route as well.
Yes, JUCO for non football kids is great. Glad my kid stayed local for 2 years trying to figure out what he really wanted to study. Saved a lot of money.

I’ll be honest I have to claim ignorance I thought their was more JUCO’s....watching too much Last Chance U...but they still exist and should be explored. I just know these States around us plan to have Football but they will shut down sooner then later....Their are a lot of life changing risks involved with this.

Reactions: Schwab54
To your point - go to Kansas or Mississippi. If you are not as good as you think you are, you’ll find out real quick. Otherwise, take that D2 or D3 offer and go to work. At some point you can’t just go on hope - it might be time to hedge.

Reactions: McCaravan
To your point - go to Kansas or Mississippi. If you are not as good as you think you are, you’ll find out real quick. Otherwise, take that D2 or D3 offer and go to work. At some point you can’t just go on hope - it might be time to hedge.

Is it a D3 offer or invite?

Is it a D3 offer or invite?
No scholarship money, but there are other ways they can help through grants, financial aid, etc. There are D1 schools that don’t offer scholarships as well - see the Patriot League with Valpo, Butler, Dayton, Davison, San Diego...

Reactions: McCaravan
That’s obviously true as well as the pioneer league however when you’re 17 1618-year-old kid the allure of playing D1 football and still paying for school compared to D3 football and paying for school weighs heavily on their decision

Depends on what type of student you are. Don’t leave out NAIA schools. As my son put it, NAIA is like D2 and D3 had a baby, football money and some high academic institutions.
I don't think I've ever seen a high academic NAIA institution. Just D1 or D3.

No scholarship money, but there are other ways they can help through grants, financial aid, etc. There are D1 schools that don’t offer scholarships as well - see the Patriot League with Valpo, Butler, Dayton, Davison, San Diego...

Thats right. Do not forget the Toreros!!

Reactions: RD_Watcher
The top JUCO programs are warehouses for academic non qualifiers so getting a spot means competing against some of the best talent in the country. Unless you are really truly a late bloomer who can use a year or two to develop physically a better route is usually to go D2, D3 or NAIA. You’re burning eligibility in any case and might as well get on with it. Lots of financial aid and scholarships available! And if you really blow up you can still transfer after a few years.
Always remember...49 D2 players made the 53 man rosters last year!

Definitely would recommend this for baseball players in '21; especially coming off no season in '20 and a shortened season for next year. I myself went to South Sub and loved it. Great experience there. Other options in IL alone include Triton, and much further south Parkland and Logan.

1. Mississippi Gulf Coast (14) 11-0 370.5 1
2. Lackawanna (Pa.) (2) 10-0 340.8 2
3. Hutchinson (Kan.) 9-2 307.46 6
4. Iowa Western 8-3 291.95 5
5. Northwest Mississippi 8-3 268.69 5
6. Kilgore (Texas) 8-2 251.86 7
7. Butler (Kan.) 9-3 226.33 3
8. Hinds (Miss.) 7-2 217.71 8
9. Independence (Kan.) 8-2 214.81 12
10. Garden City (Kan.) 8-3 213.95 3
11. Jones (Miss.) 7-2 202.86 10
12. Georgia Military 8-2 165.43 9
13. Trinity Valley (Texas) 7-3 114.96 13
14. Snow (Utah) 5-3 106.71 14
15. ASA Brooklyn (N.Y.) 8-2 103 15
16. East Mississippi 6-4 85.57 16
17. Navarro (Texas) 6-5 76.5 20
18. Monroe College (N.Y.) 8-2 69 17
19. Nassau (N.Y.) 7-3 28 —
20. New Mexico Military 6-5 19 18
Others Receiving Votes: Highland (Kan.) 21, ASA Miami 11, Central Lakes (Minn.) 6, North Dakota SCS 5, East Central (Miss.) 4.1, DuPage (Ill.) 3, Iowa Central 2 19 Copiah-Lincoln (Miss.) 1.6, Itasca (Minn.) 1, Holmes (Miss.) 0.7.

Reactions: Laurarube
ADVERTISEMENT