ADVERTISEMENT

Must visit establishments near your field

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
Since there have been a few threads nuked on here and the season is still quite a bit out, I figured I would start a new thread that I have not seen on here (apologies if it has been a while back).

Piggybacking off the unique stadiums thread, lets get a list going of the best establishments (sports bar, pub, restaurant, etc) that a visiting fan must stop at when their team comes to your field.

I'd also like to add a second listing. What is your favorite establishment you have ever stopped at as a visitor.

In Wilmington- I'm going to give the edge to Hayden's over Tuffy's. The food at Hayden's is great and the bar side of the restaurant can get pretty busy on a Friday before or after the game.

Favorite spot I have been on the road- Tough to pick one but probably going to say The Wood in Carthage. Didn't eat there but a really friendly group of fans who talked good football.

Last edited:
Since there have been a few threads nuked on here and the season is still quite a bit out, I figured I would start a new thread that I have not seen on here (apologies if it has been a while back).

Piggybacking off the unique stadiums thread, lets get a list going of the best establishments (sports bar, pub, restaurant, etc) that a visiting fan must stop at when their team comes to your field.

I'd also like to add a second listing. What is your favorite establishment you have ever stopped at as a visitor.

In Wilmington- I'm going to give the edge to Hayden's over Tuffy's. The food at Hayden's is amazing and the bar side of the restaurant can get pretty busy on a Friday before or after the game.

Favorite spot I have been on the road- Tough to pick one but probably going to say The Wood in Carthage. Didn't eat there but a really friendly group of fans who talked good football.

I have been to all 3 bars you mentioned, but never to The Wood before a game..all good choices

Other I-8 Favs

Broadway Tap in Streator
Friendlys in Plano
Babes in Coal City
Fergies and Sand Lot in Seneca
Game On in Peotone

if you come to springfield to shg's ken leonard field a couple of places come to mind. cousin eddie's is about a 1/3 of mile west on washington st. gaming, pizza and a great menu. full bar.

westwoods lodge is my favorite place for wings, they have an extensive menu including all sorts of wild game available. great food, great atmosphere. full bar.

also worth mentioning: the office sports bar, the corner pub and grill and brickhouse grill and pub.

In Gurnee for Warren games - Salutos is solid. O’Tooles is a must after.

I have been to all 3 bars you mentioned, but never to The Wood before a game..all good choices

Other I-8 Favs

Broadway Tap in Streator
Friendlys in Plano
Babes in Coal City
Game On in Peotone

Babes in CC- great bloodys and burgers
I'm more of a Boondocks guy in Seneca even though its still a bit outside of town

Whats your Reed- Custer establishment???

Is there one? LOL Joneseez isn't all that bad if I had to pick. But honestly, I would rather stay home in Wilmo or run to CC then hit the game. Although I guess that new place Top Fuel Saloon is supposedly better than your typical Braidwood hangout. Maybe I will check it out this weekend and report back.

When in the Metro East, one cultural attraction you don't want to miss is the Sauget Ballet.

As I mentioned, I lived in the area for 4 years......I have "heard about" many of the "ballets". That is another story for another day!

On a serious note, I used to love Show-Mes. I went back a few years ago when I went to a fraternity brothers wedding and I could not believe that I used to eat there almost weekly. I guess that just shows how your taste in food and beer change as you age (and have money to spend).

The last time I found myself getting culturally enriched at the ballet, I was at Diamond Cabaret and I was asked, "Will you be chewing gum this evening and do you need a dispensary?"

Ummm ... what?

Basically, they offered me an ashtray if I was going to be smoking. They DGAF down there.

Back in high school, we'd occasionally end up at Main Street after games wearing our BRIGHT YELLOW letterman's jackets. We'd give game reports - tell how many yards Hickey had - and were treated like kings.

The last time I found myself getting culturally enriched at the ballet, I was at Diamond Cabaret and I was asked, "Will you be chewing gum this evening and do you need a dispensary?"

Ummm ... what?

Basically, they offered me an ashtray if I was going to be smoking. They DGAF down there.

Back in high school, we'd occasionally end up at Main Street after games wearing our BRIGHT YELLOW letterman's jackets. We'd give game reports - tell how many yards Hickey had - and were treated like kings.

Heck, I know of a few places by me that still allow smoking. Not in Wilmo, but not too far away.

Other I-8 Favs

Broadway Tap in Streator
Friendlys in Plano
Babes in Coal City
Game On in Peotone

Edwin’s in Peotone- super old school, great patio, allegedly a hideout of Al Capone

I’ll give a Minooka bar too since they are my second team. Not much in the ‘nook, but dock rotz is solid. If you’re a craft guy check out river hawk in channahon.

Edwin’s in Peotone- super old school, great patio, allegedly a hideout of Al Capone

I’ll give a Minooka bar too since they are my second team. Not much in the ‘nook, but dock rotz is solid. If you’re a craft guy check out river hawk in channahon.

RIver Hawk is about a 1 minute drive from my "weekend home", its not bad, but not my fav.. I prefer the old Basin..

When I was a young buck we used to hit Edwins late since they were open later than the Kankakee County bars

I'll speak to Nazareth (Paul's Pizza) and Glenbard North (CK Pad Thai or Charkies) for non-chain or not-ritzy places within like 1.5 miles.

If you ever want to pickup a pizza OTW to a WN, Glenbard North, Geneva game, or driving near County Farm/Barrington Road and Geneva Road intersection. GIANORIO'S. Holy sh!t has it been a revelation to my southside heart. Best thin crust in the Dupage or Fox valleys and I welcome any contrary recs

if you come to springfield to shg's ken leonard field a couple of places come to mind. cousin eddie's is about a 1/3 of mile west on washington st. gaming, pizza and a great menu. full bar.

westwoods lodge is my favorite place for wings, they have an extensive menu including all sorts of wild game available. great food, great atmosphere. full bar.

also worth mentioning: the office sports bar, the corner pub and grill and brickhouse grill and pub.
Who has the best horseshoe in town IYO?

Who has the best horseshoe in town IYO?
i don't eat horseshoes. don't like my food smothered in cheese. d'arcy's pint has won the best shoe in town for many years straight.

my players say the horseshoe pizza at the corner pub is the best ever.

i can not personally attest to that though.

In Palatine, Mexico Uno for great food and good margaritas. For a STRONG drink, stop by the standing bar at Heng Wing and get a Mary Mai Tai or a Zombie (Mary is a long-time hostess who’d add a floater of dark rum on her personal mai tais, and it became a thing ... a very intoxicating thing.)

RIver Hawk is about a 1 minute drive from my "weekend home", its not bad, but not my fav.. I prefer the old Basin..

When I was a young buck we used to hit Edwins late since they were open later than the Kankakee County bars

I’ve only been to Edwin’s on motorcycle trip days. Decent crowds usually.

RH is interesting. Some strange beers but most are palatable.

i don't eat horseshoes. don't like my food smothered in cheese. d'arcy's pint has won the best shoe in town for many years straight.

my players say the horseshoe pizza at the corner pub is the best ever.

i can not personally attest to that though.
For shame.

I have had D'Arcy's and loved it

D’Arcys is very good. Ottos for the blue collar and either north side or Main Street pub for white collar at Glenbard West

St.Laurence=Kojacks,Reavis=Chucks,Argo either El Famous or El Faro.When I come up to visit I get goodies from each and put em in the fridge.Bremen=Hog Wild and St.Rita=Fat Johnnies

St.Laurence=Kojacks,Reavis=Chucks,Argo either El Famous or El Faro.When I come up to visit I get goodies from each and put em in the fridge.Bremen=Hog Wild and St.Rita=Fat Johnnies
Didn't one of the Summit burrito joints burn down?

In Palatine, Mexico Uno for great food and good margaritas. For a STRONG drink, stop by the standing bar at Heng Wing and get a Mary Mai Tai or a Zombie (Mary is a long-time hostess who’d add a floater of dark rum on her personal mai tais, and it became a thing ... a very intoxicating thing.)
Mary is the owner

El Faro is a must have if I'm anywhere near it, 25 years of experience, ask for the AJO marinated cloves of garlic, and add to your burrito.
PLEASE tell me it did not burn down

Crusador:

I was born and raised in Palatine. I live a block from Uno and Heng Wing and with all do respect...I mean with all do respect, both are not great. Best Mexican joint in Palatine is La Presa on Rohwling Road. Get the salsa verde...you will thank me. Uno puts American cheese slices in their burritos if you don't specifically request chihuahua cheese. As for Heng Wing, I am in the minority, but Fortune Kookie was much better...until it burned down. I find Heng Wing dirty and their food tastes like it is pre-prepared, frozen and then fried. Furthermore, there really isn't a bar. If you go in for a drink, you stand in the front of the restaurant. I'd walk across the street to the American Legion and grab a few pops - WI prices.

Crusador:

I was born and raised in Palatine. I live a block from Uno and Heng Wing and with all do respect...I mean with all do respect, both are not great. Best Mexican joint in Palatine is La Presa on Rohwling Road. Get the salsa verde...you will thank me. Uno puts American cheese slices in their burritos if you don't specifically request chihuahua cheese. As for Heng Wing, I am in the minority, but Fortune Kookie was much better...until it burned down. I find Heng Wing dirty and their food tastes like it is pre-prepared, frozen and then fried. Furthermore, there really isn't a bar. If you go in for a drink, you stand in the front of the restaurant. I'd walk across the street to the American Legion and grab a few pops - WI prices.

I'm friends with the Gonzalez girls - the women who run Uno - their dad owns the buildings and their niece operates Sweet C's around the corner by JL's.

I've never had a bad meal there - and I get treated really well. I get "special" margarita pitchers there - three extra shots. They saved some of the old margarita glasses - the ones that look like cactuses - because me and a buddy like them more ... so maybe I'm biased.

Do note, I intentionally went out of my way to not mention Heng Wing food. But the stand-up bar - you miss the point. It's a great mix of degenerates, business folks and city workers. No one stays there all night (OK, maybe some of the degenerates). It's a great first or last drink place.

Reactions: Bowie50
I'm friends with the Gonzalez girls - the women who run Uno - their dad owns the buildings and their niece operates Sweet C's around the corner by JL's.

I've never had a bad meal there - and I get treated really well. I get "special" margarita pitchers there - three extra shots. They saved some of the old margarita glasses - the ones that look like cactuses - because me and a buddy like them more ... so maybe I'm biased.

Do note, I intentionally went out of my way to not mention Heng Wing food. But the stand-up bar - you miss the point. It's a great mix of degenerates, business folks and city workers. No one stays there all night (OK, maybe some of the degenerates). It's a great first or last drink place.
I do like the owners of Uno. Very nice people. We take the kids in Sweet C's all the time. They do our PYB and PAFA cookies.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Crusador:

I find Heng Wing dirty and their food tastes like it is pre-prepared, frozen and then fried.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Quags57
Chuck's is probably my favorite place

Crusador:

I want the old Nellie's back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT