ADVERTISEMENT

Mount Carmel

So here it is.

Don't care about recruiting. Don't care about radii. But are we pretending the two types of enrollments measure the same thing?

If the playoffs were separated shouldn't LA, MC, Naz, Rice, Montini, JCA, SHG etc be in the same class? I keep reading how JCA and MC should continue their rivalry.

I don't hear anyone looking for a Mascoutah - LWE matchup. 8A against 6A hardly happens and when they do it's Huntley against 6A powerhouse Prairie Ridge, typically turns out to be a good game lately. But that's just an 8A team against the 6A gold standard (until ESL takes over). LWE played a championship level Crete Monee recently and it was a debacle. The West Suburban Silver generally owns the Gold. The Southwest Suburban Blue owns the Red.

I am not sure how it works out in the smaller classes, but it appears in public schools enrollments matter.

So why would a team feel they should play against Loyola but in the playoffs against Sterling? If you're good enough to challenge the Ramblers you're good enough to challenge the Griffins.

Last edited:
My philosophy on public schools competing against private schools has always been this - don't like it? Fine. Get better. I think you saw plenty of occasions where public schools can more than just compete with private schools. Happens every day. The whining about some unfair advantage is silly. Shut up and play football and beat them.

I have been saying the exact same thing for years. Problem is, when I say it, all hell breaks loose.

So here it is.

Don't care about recruiting. Don't care about radii. But are we pretending the two types of enrollments measure the same thing?

If the playoffs were separated shouldn't LA, MC, Naz, Rice, Montini, JCA, SHG etc be in the same class? I keep reading how JCA and MC should continue their rivalry.

I don't hear anyone looking for a Mascoutah - LWE matchup. 8A against 6A hardly happens and when they do it's Huntley against 6A powerhouse, typically turns out to be a good game lately. But that's just an 8A team against the 6A gold standard (until ESL takes over). LWE played a championship level Crete Monee recently and it was a debacle. The West Suburban Silver generally owns the Gold. The Southwest Suburban Blue owns the Red.

I am not sure how it works out in the smaller classes, but it appears in public schools enrollments matter.

So why would a team feel they should play against Loyola but in the playoffs against Sterling? If you're good enough to challenge the Ramblers you're good enough to challenge the Griffins.

Did you not watch the class 5A title game? If you get beaten like a drum in the finals, by a boundaried public school school with the smallest enrollment in the class of qualifiers, then you don't belong in a higher class. Rita belonged in 5A this year. Period.

Last edited:
Reactions: IgorStL and Gene K.
I have been saying the exact same thing for years. Problem is, when I say it, all hell breaks loose.

Ramblin I have learned to appreciate this sentiment. When Warren lost to Rice last year I told everyone that was willing to listen that same thing. This year, when Warren beat Rice, it was proven. Same scenario with Richmond Burton getting IC, Coal City beating Francis, Rochester knocking off Rita, Mascoutah beating JCA, Sycamore beating Montini.

So programs in the CCL get kids from all over, who cares. The kids coming into public schools nowadays are just as talented. In some cases they always have been. Its better offseason stuff, better coaching, better game planning and better execution. The playing field is getting closer to even everyday. SOme just choose not to believe it.

My philosophy on public schools competing against private schools has always been this - don't like it? Fine. Get better. I think you saw plenty of occasions where public schools can more than just compete with private schools. Happens every day. The whining about some unfair advantage is silly. Shut up and play football and beat them.
As long as all the privates play 7A or 8A fine.

Did you not watch the class 5A title game? If you get beaten like a drum in the finals, by a boundaried public school school with the smallest enrollment in the class of qualifiers, then you don't belong in a higher class. Rita belonged in 5A this year. Period.
Maybe St. Rita was an average 7A/8A team, but a good 5A team?

Reactions: Dual-triple_threat
So because a 5-4 Rita got to the 5A championship and got throttled by Rochester enrollment means nothing? Did you see the Rita Sterling/Hillcrest scores. Hillcrest was the school everyone was hyping up.

Reactions: Dual-triple_threat
Ramblin I have learned to appreciate this sentiment. When Warren lost to Rice last year I told everyone that was willing to listen that same thing. This year, when Warren beat Rice, it was proven. Same scenario with Richmond Burton getting IC, Coal City beating Francis, Rochester knocking off Rita, Mascoutah beating JCA, Sycamore beating Montini.

So programs in the CCL get kids from all over, who cares. The kids coming into public schools nowadays are just as talented. In some cases they always have been. Its better offseason stuff, better coaching, better game planning and better execution. The playing field is getting closer to even everyday. SOme just choose not to believe it.

Stop with the common sense Newt.

Reactions: Gene K.
No problem! Every school gets to have tuition too, right? So $12K to go your neighborhood PS for HS is cool with you?

100% DEAL!!!!! 99% of my property taxes go to the school and I'm already over $12k, so this is a steal.

100% DEAL!!!!! 99% of my property taxes go to the school and I'm already over $12k, so this is a steal.

You still get to pay the same property tax and if you have more than one that bill gets large, quickly. Seems fun, right? Even better, it’s easy! It’s only $25K per year for two!

By that logic New Trier Morton Lane all should be a helluva lot better.

How a public school does depends 100% on shifting demographics. Private schools are not impacted by shifting demographics as much. If one area has more young families than another area, private school can target that area.
You still get to pay the same property tax and if you have more than one that bill gets large, quickly. Seems fun, right? Even better, it’s easy! It’s only $25K per year for two!

Simple solution. Move out of my current neighborhood to say Waukegan and then send my kid to Lake Forest. Still a win.

Didn’t realize you could sell your share of mom’s basement and have enough for a place in Waukegan!

How a public school does depends 100% on shifting demographics. Private schools are not impacted by shifting demographics as much. If one area has more young families than another area, private school can target that area.

Simple solution. Move out of my current neighborhood to say Waukegan and then send my kid to Lake Forest. Still a win.

i agree with this 5A or higher. 1-4A, not so much.

Is Rochester a boundary school? I know they are supposed to be. And yes I know this is a can of worms.....

Donated.

I'm sure most of you know about this town... but take a drive around East Saint Louis high school on Goolge Street View. The kids need it.

Absolutely. When I think of all the ways I have wasted $20 the last month on dumb things I didn't really need (hello tequila shooters at 1:50am after downing beers all night), donating to this is a no brainer

Do privates not take some kids and those are the ones forced to go to the public schools?
It's a big state with many different types of neighborhoods.
Some public schools aren't ideal so it's nice to have another option without having to move.
Its now basketball season so publics will dominate and even things out for the year.

Reactions: IgorStL
Do privates not take some kids and those are the ones forced to go to the public schools?
It's a big state with many different types of neighborhoods.
Some public schools aren't ideal so it's nice to have another option without having to move.
Its now basketball season so publics will dominate and even things out for the year.

12 of the top 20 are Catholic or open enrollment schools.

Absolutely. When I think of all the ways I have wasted $20 the last month on dumb things I didn't really need (hello tequila shooters at 1:50am after downing beers all night), donating to this is a no brainer
I had the same mentality ... and was thinking like Ric Flair, I've spent more money on split liquor ...

What are we using for that number?
Open boundary public school shouldn't be lumped into privates. That's a battle amongst publics.

I'm just the type of person that gives money to anyone that asks (probably more than I should given my income). And primarily because of what you said... I spend money in ridiculous ways. Instead of going to ridiculous things, it should go to people that truly need it. Especially this time of year. Thanks for sharing the ESL 13U link.

Last edited:
Looking at that list and seeing Fenwick at 21 makes me wonder if Oswego would be better than Fenwick if Hopkins had just stayed home.

***I understand why he left (Malnati IMO was the best HS coach in the state) and I knew he was going to Private School in 7th grade.

So because a 5-4 Rita got to the 5A championship and got throttled by Rochester enrollment means nothing? Did you see the Rita Sterling/Hillcrest scores. Hillcrest was the school everyone was hyping up.

So what?

Rochester would have mauled them both...worse than they did Rita.

“...have attended private schools on a continuous basis for the last two consecutive school years before entering high school or for a total of not less than four school years from kindergarten through eighth grade.”

That’s the specific requirement for attending private school prior to HS and not need to be within 30 miles.

“...and attend the private member school attended by one or both of their parents.”

That would be the “legacy” loophole language.

Top of page 45 of this document is full section for those interested:

https://www.ihsa.org/documents/forms/current/IHSA_Section3.pdf

Not quite. shifiting demos caused Mendel and Weber to shut down; they caused Leo and Gordon Tech to change their entire scope. Plus, countless grammar schools are gone forever, and none are being opened in the suburbs.

ADVERTISEMENT