ADVERTISEMENT

Mount Carmel

HSFan18

Sep 29, 2011
I read somewhere that Mount Carmel pulls kids from 40 miles away from the school. Is that true?

What a competitive advantage compared to public schools.

Yes! Not too long ago our starting quarterback was a Bolingbrook Resident. You can have fun and troll, but parents can send their kids wherever they want...
Absolutely agree that the parents can do that, I just laugh at those saying it's the parents showing up at their door 2-3 years into High School with no contact from the school since 8th grade. We all know better.

Not sure if they still get kids from there, but when I was in school, I had some friends from Michigan City who went to MC. That is 50 miles at least.
Call me crazy but isn't it still a 30 mile rule ?

My philosophy on public schools competing against private schools has always been this - don't like it? Fine. Get better. I think you saw plenty of occasions where public schools can more than just compete with private schools. Happens every day. The whining about some unfair advantage is silly. Shut up and play football and beat them.

Call me crazy but isn't it still a 30 mile rule ?

This was 30 years ago. Not sure if they still get kids from Mich City. And MIchigan CIty may be less than 30 miles if you go across the lake. I just know it is more than 50 miles door to door via driving.

My philosophy on public schools competing against private schools has always been this - don't like it? Fine. Get better. I think you saw plenty of occasions where public schools can more than just compete with private schools. Happens every day. The whining about some unfair advantage is silly. Shut up and play football and beat them.
Absolutely, just don't act like you're not doing it.

I didn’t realize there was any waiver at all. You learn something new here everyday.
I'm still not sure of the Legacy one. I need to look that one up. But not that it matters the IHSA would never research it.

Reactions: Gene K.
Absolutely, just don't act like you're not doing it.

Can we institute the IHSA rules into college football?

Notre Dame, USC, etc... can recruit from across the nation, and UM, OSU, etc.... are limited to residents of their respective states.

Seems fair to me.

Im uh, I got nothing. Jon you need to explain that one.

Pretty simple. Only residents of Ohio can attend Ohio State (similar to only residents of XYZ district can attend ABC school). Notre Dame and other private schools can recruit kids from all states (similar to Mount Carmel). I'm sure the NCAA and the public schools will think this system is totally fine.

Pretty simple. Only residents of Ohio can attend Ohio State (similar to only residents of XYZ district can attend ABC school). Notre Dame and other private schools can recruit kids from all states (similar to Mount Carmel). I'm sure the NCAA and the public schools will think this system is totally fine.
So you think all those kids on OSU and Michigan are residents of those states?

Except residents of Ohio don’t get to attend Ohio State for free and they’re not guaranteed admission.

Reactions: mchsalumni
How is Chase Young, from Hyattsville MD, at Ohio State then? How is Justin Fields, from Kennesaw GA, at Ohio State? How is JK Dobbins, from La Grange TX, at Ohio State?

HS

I thought you’d be thrilled with how 3-4 and 5A turned out - heck all classes but 2 and 7.

I’m puzzled why kids can’t choose where they want to go to school? Carmel has kids who live in Gurnee. Gurnee has kids that live in other communities too but are in our district.

Why shouldn’t this be a choice?

Reactions: Gene K.
How is Chase Young, from Hyattsville MD, at Ohio State then? How is Justin Fields, from Kennesaw GA, at Ohio State? How is JK Dobbins, from La Grange TX, at Ohio State?

We're changing the system to adopt IHSA rules. Going forward, only residents of Ohio can attend Ohio State. It's a hypothetical.....geez.

Or, let's just say all schools can recruit.

HS

I thought you’d be thrilled with how 3-4 and 5A turned out - heck all classes but 2 and 7.

I’m puzzled why kids can’t choose where they want to go to school? Carmel has kids who live in Gurnee. Gurnee has kids that live in other communities too but are in our district.

Why shouldn’t this be a choice?

Let's give everyone a choice and level the playing field. Every school can recruit and offer "financial aid" packages. Would the private schools be ok with that system? My guess, probably not.

So the star athlete in Mundeline can attend Lake Forest for a discounted price since he can run a 4.3.

Let's give everyone a choice and level the playing field. Every school can recruit and offer "financial aid" packages. Would the private schools be ok with that system? My guess, probably not.

So the star athlete in Mundeline can attend Lake Forest for a discounted price since he can run a 4.3.
School choice. The epitome of freedom for families across our state. I like the arc of this thread.

ADVERTISEMENT