ADVERTISEMENT

Most Miles Traveled for a High School Team

Wassup13

Nov 9, 2002
Which high school team for any sport travels the most miles during the year???

I think I know one of the top contenders.

Quincy would be up there. 230 miles round trip for the closest conference game in Galesburg. A little over 400 miles to Sterling for the furthest. Right around 290 for geneseo, rock island, moline, and East moline. For basketball since you play everyone home and away you’re looking at almost 2000 miles just for your 7 road conference games.

I was wondering because Montini Wrestling seems to schedule a national schedule for part of their schedule and on any particular weekend could be somewhere between New Jersey and California (This year they have already been to at least Ohio and California).

Today they are in Detroit and currently ranked the #4 team in the nation.

Do any other HS sports do this?

Last edited:
I was wondering because Montini Wrestling seems to schedule a national schedule for part of their schedule and on any particular weekend could be somewhere between New Jersey and California (This year they have already been to at least Ohio and California).

Today they are in Detroit and currently ranked the #4 team in the nation.

Do any other HS sports do this?

A few other wrestling teams from Illinois head out to the Ironman (PA), Cheesehead (WI), and another in Minnesota (forgot the name). I think Montini just started attending the Doc Buchanan in CA last year so I'd say they take the cake in terms of travel there.

Reactions: Gene K.
Last year the St. Rita Basketball team played in New Orleans LA. in the middle of December and in Fairbanks AK at the end of January. Baseball played a Honolulu team in Las Vegas. I was pulling for a home and away. This year they start the season in Orlando. Hockey team upper Minnesota and Lacrosse team to Kentucky.

Loyola takes the cake thou going to Europe.

Quincy would be up there. 230 miles round trip for the closest conference game in Galesburg. A little over 400 miles to Sterling for the furthest. Right around 290 for geneseo, rock island, moline, and East moline. For basketball since you play everyone home and away you’re looking at almost 2000 miles just for your 7 road conference games.
This has to be it. Ouch.

Last year the St. Rita Basketball team played in New Orleans LA. in the middle of December and in Fairbanks AK at the end of January. Baseball played a Honolulu team in Las Vegas. I was pulling for a home and away. This year they start the season in Orlando. Hockey team upper Minnesota and Lacrosse team to Kentucky.

Loyola takes the cake thou going to Europe.
What sport(s) do they play in Europe?

All of this seems a bit ridiculous to me. They are high school kids. Why would any team want to drive over an hour or two for a game, in any sport. Don’t say competition either because unless you are destroying everyone in sight you can find all the competition you need within a few hour drive.

I know with Montini Wrestling it's because they are ranked in the top 10 in the country. The only way to move up is to travel and wrestle these teams on the road. You need to seek the competition to get them into the best colleges you can.

Besides outside of conference nobody wants to travel in state to wrestle Montini at home.

https://intermatwrestle.com/rankings/high_school/Team?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
I know with Montini Wrestling it's because they are ranked in the top 10 in the country. The only way to move up is to travel and wrestle these teams on the road. You need to seek the competition to get them into the best colleges you can.

Besides outside of conference nobody wants to travel in state to wrestle Montini at home.

https://intermatwrestle.com/rankings/high_school/Team?

I get that with wrestling, or any sport where you can have multiple competitions in a weekend, because you can go to a huge national tournament and be exposed to a bunch of different teams. Football seems kinda silly. One game and that's it.

Reactions: Wassup13

Yikes.

Travel-wise, wouldn't Quincy be far better situated in the Southwestern Conference? Has that ever been discussed?

All of this seems a bit ridiculous to me. They are high school kids. Why would any team want to drive over an hour or two for a game, in any sport. Don’t say competition either because unless you are destroying everyone in sight you can find all the competition you need within a few hour drive.

in quincy's case, they are an outlier in terms of the enrollment of their school compared to the others in their area. there's just nobody their size, or even close, within a couple hours.

possibly. they might also be better suited for the central state 8, in terms of location.

The CS8 was my first thought, but with University High in Normal and the Decatur schools, the distance between Quincy and those schools is similar to that which Quincy has with most schools in the WB6. Plus, the CS8 average enrollment is substantially smaller than Quincy. If QHS had made the playoffs this year, they would have been in 7A. The largest school in the CS8 is in 6A.

Lastly, as a ten school conference, the CS8 already plays no non-conference football games. Adding an 11th school wouldn't make much sense. Adding two schools and dividing into two divisions of six schools might be an option.

The CS8 was my first thought, but with University High in Normal and the Decatur schools, the distance between Quincy and those schools is similar to that which Quincy has with most schools in the WB6. Plus, the CS8 average enrollment is substantially smaller than Quincy. If QHS had made the playoffs this year, they would have been in 7A. The largest school in the CS8 is in 6A.

Lastly, as a ten school conference, the CS8 already plays no non-conference football games. Adding an 11th school wouldn't make much sense. Adding two schools and dividing into two divisions of six schools might be an option.

All.... Would love to see two divisions of six for the CS8 and get back playing non con games once again. Hate the closed conference and what it does for teams that want to properly prepare for postseason play. Cyclone fans would go nuts with joy over getting another crack at Indianapolis Cathedral. Unfortunately certain schools in the conference back in the day were unhappy with the travel and the limited "pickings" (bad match ups for them) available and likely still would be. Won't happen. Ratsy

Danville's travels in the Big Twelve is got to be pretty ugly as well...four teams from Peoria in the conference, Normal, Normal West, Bloomington...

Illini Prairie is in the similar situation, with St. Joe Ogden to IVC...

Unfortunately bigger schools in the middle of the state are going to have to travel to play similarly sized schools...its why district scheduling was going to be just as tough...

Plus every other year they travel to Oswego.

St. Rita beat a Florida hockey team yesterday 5-2, unfortunately it was in Detroit. Its 8 degrees now in Chicago. Anywhere in Florida sounds good to me.

ADVERTISEMENT