ADVERTISEMENT

morning practices

King MJ

Jul 22, 2001
Curious if any local schools have had to go to morning practices to deal with limited access to turf fields, especially at the underclass levels?

Would have to think at some massive 8A schoosl with over 200 kids and 4 complete teams that there is no other option.

I’m sure most will. Especially since most underclassmen practice on grass. Even with the recent warm up there is still a lot of snow and ice patches on the grass....and a whole lot of mud.

I dont think many schools will have underclass teams coming in early on a consistent basis. Those kids do not drive. Especially in areas where kids rely on buses to get there.

I dont think many schools will have underclass teams coming in early on a consistent basis. Those kids do not drive. Especially in areas where kids rely on buses to get there.
Correct, our Varsity has been going in at 5:30 AM for workouts.

• Wow
Reactions: Bowie50

Not football, but even before covid, our school has done early morning practices for all levels. Nothing better as a parent than dragging my ass out of bed at 5am to get my freshman kids to 5:30am baseball/softball practices.

Not football, but even before covid, our school has done early morning practices for all levels. Nothing better as a parent than dragging my ass out of bed at 5am to get my freshman kids to 5:30am baseball/softball practices.

Lol
Right! Damn I was glad when my kids were seniors they drove themselves to practice.

An AD with better organizational skills wouldn't let this happen

Has nothing to do with the AD's organizational skills. It has to do with weather and athletic seasons overlapping.
In the current situation, yes. But in normal circumstances morning practices for the lower levels is easily avoided.

Reactions: mc140
5:30am times are common practice around my southwest suburban schools. Especially this time of year when outside isn't an option. You typically have baseball, softball, badminton, tennis, wrestling, basketball, volleyball and soccer with some overlap right when spring sports/winter sports ends. Even with 3 court fieldhouses, it's impossible to get 3 levels of all sports in after school/evening. Especially if you don't have outside private facility use. Once weather breaks then it's all good. But every year we typically have that 2 week period where nobody is getting outside yet (maybe just soccer) and everyone else is left for indoor use. I know many schools try to make freshmen after school because they can't drive in the AM, but this is very very common and accepted in the 60423-60451-60448 area codes.

My son always had baseball tryouts at 5:30 AM prior to the pandemic. Hell, we had 5:30 basketball and baseball practices at my high school in the 80's.

Reactions: USD24
Waubonsie having 530am Frosh practice and 230pm varsity practice sure is interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT