ADVERTISEMENT

Montini

Wassup13

Nov 9, 2002
Montini lost two of the states greatest coaches this year. Nationally known wrestling coach Israel Martinez resigned and now Jason Nichols one of the top girls basketball coaches in the State leaves Montini.

Martinez teams won team state at the highest class 8 of the 10 years he was HC at Montini. His team finished ranked #4 in the Nation this year which is unheard of for a IL team.

Nichols produced 29 Division 1 girls basketball players in 14 years. His record at Montini was 521 wins and 72 losses. In conference his teams went 171-3.

https://www.dailyherald.com/amp-article/20200519/sports/200519089/?__twitter_impression=true

Last edited:
Well considering most girls basketball programs are lucky to have one D1 payer every 14 years and he averaged 2 per year I would hope he won a ton of games.

Reactions: Wassup13
Montini lost two of the states greatest coaches this year. Nationally known wrestling coach Israel Martinez resigned and now Jason Nichols one of the top girls basketball coaches in the State leaves Montini.

Martinez teams won team state at the highest class 8 of the 10 years he was HC at Montini. His team finished ranked #4 in the Nation this year which is unheard of for a IL team.

Nichols produced 29 Division 1 girls basketball players in 14 years. His record at Montini was 521 wins and 72 losses. In conference his teams went 171-3.

https://www.dailyherald.com/amp-article/20200519/sports/200519089/?__twitter_impression=true

I don't really know Izzy but I do kinda know Jason Nichols. Both are great coaches so I'm sorry they are gone. I looked over at the Morton College site and it looks as if the girls basketball program might be something Nichols can work with. I think that the job offer was something he couldn't turn down. The bad thing about Jason leaving is that he had a great team this year and I am pretty sure he had another one for next year. Hope he can make the transition to college.

Reactions: Gene K.
Don't know that much about girl's BB at Community College, is it really a step up from Montini?

Navy's Mitch West 6 tackles and 1 forced fumble today earns him the turnover chain!

Nice seeing Joe Spivak of Northwestern and Freshman Jermari Harris of Iowa play this weekend both getting a couple of tackles each.

Reactions: Bowie50
Spivak was the best lineman Montini ever had.

I don't know? Do you mean based on his HS play?

Jaleel Johnson, Tim Fugger, Thompson, Goebel, Hyland had 29 sacks one year, the kid who went to Boston College and I know I am missing many others???

Last edited:
I#93 Joe Spivak (Montini) the lead blocker for Bowser on this Northwestern touchdown!

Reactions: ignazio
I don't know? Do you mean based on his HS play?

Jaleel Johnson, Tim Fugger, Thompson, Goebel, Hyland had 29 sacks one year, the kid who went to Boston College and I know I am missing many others???
I mean this in all sincerity, how many of those were at Montini all 4 years? Jaleel I know was just the one, were the others there the whole time?

I mean this in all sincerity, how many of those were at Montini all 4 years? Jaleel I know was just the one, were the others there the whole time?

True Jaleel was there one year but that is quite a big statement saying Spivak was the best when there are so many great linemen at Montini. I would say Spivak is in consideration.

There is no questioning Izzy Martinez outstanding wrestling ability but he’s crazy. He was like that as a wrestler and as a coach. It wasn’t a question of if he was going to do something over the top, but rather when was he doing to do it.

True Jaleel was there one year but that is quite a big statement saying Spivak was the best when there are so many great linemen at Montini. I would say Spivak is in consideration.
Jim Labate back in around 04 went to Illinois.

Jim Labate back in around 04 went to Illinois.

You mean Jim LaBonte. I remember pound for pound the toughest kid I saw play in the SCC conference from Driscoll named Billy Morris who was half of Lebonte's size gave him one of the biggest hits I ever seen and I'm sure Labonte will never forget.

Joe Spivak played both offense and defense. If he was 4 inches taller, he would have had a lot more colleges recruiting him. He was a walk on with Northwestern. Nice friendly kid too.

If Spivak had been 4 inches taller he would have started at Michigan for 4 years. I'm sticking with he was the best lineman that Montini ever had

I'd say Spivak, Goebel, Lembas, Hyland and Thompson

Those are good picks. What about Jim Lowery? Did you pick the 2004 Hyland or 2016 Hyland? The 2004 Hyland had 29 sacks his senior year. Also I think there are others that played from 1966 to 2004 we are forgetting about.

Last edited:
Mitch West leads Navy with 10 tackles last night but lose to SMU.
Last week in the sprint football star game between Army and Navy, Jake led the defense with 11 tackles, 1.5 sacks and 2 tackles for a loss. Navy defense only allowed just 7 first downs the whole game but still lost 7-3.

Reactions: mchsalumni
Last week in the sprint football star game between Army and Navy, Jake led the defense with 11 tackles, 1.5 sacks and 2 tackles for a loss. Navy defense only allowed just 7 first downs the whole game but still lost 7-3.

Congratulations to Jake! I did see one of his sacks on video!

Fremd is close as well. 3 in 46 years. Maine South is very close as well

St. Rita 51 years 1969 to 2020

Pat Cronin ‘69 to ‘84
Todd Wernet ‘85 to ‘97
Todd Kuska ‘98 to current

Not to completely sidetrack things, but how about a professional franchise having 3 head coaches since 1969 (Steelers), especially when 1 losing season and fans are calling for your head.

Not to completely sidetrack things, but how about a professional franchise having 3 head coaches since 1969 (Steelers), especially when 1 losing season and fans are calling for your head.
That is really something. Especially, when you think of the Bears and other professional teams and the number of coaches going thru the turnstile like a busy morning work day on the subway!

I Feel Blessed to see Bronco Alums on TV almost everyday! Congrats to Jaleel Johnson on the Vikings win over the Bears on Monday Night Football & ...

Good Luck to Jeremiah Banks Wall (Bowling Green plays tonight at 6:00 pm) & Mike McNicholas (Kent State plays at 7:00 pm)

#TeamFirst

@MontiniFootball

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT