ADVERTISEMENT

Montini DeKalb

When I said that Montini's season was disappointing it was based upon Montini's past history of making deep runs in the playoffs. Heard that this is the first time in 23 years that Montini did not get past the first round so I would say that is disappointing to say the least.

Montini was up 28-14 with less than 2 minutes to go in the first half when DeKalb went 90 yards of offense in about a minute and 20 seconds to score a TD before the half ended. Montini never scored again and DeKalb scored 24 unanswered points for the final of 38-28. Not taking anything away from DeKalb but they obviously made 2nd half adjustments while Montini did not.

The games Montini lost this year were due to both the offense and defensive lines not matching up with the bigger linemen of their opponents. Montini's offense and defensive lines were quicker but they got beat down by the end of the 3rd quarter. The scoring statistics both on offense and defense shows Montini scoring a ton of points in the 1st three quarters and hardly anything in the 4th quarter. On defense it was the same story; good at the beginning and most points they gave up were after half time. To say that having only one defensive lineman over 220 lbs is not a detriment to playing good defense against bigger offensive lines is IMO not true after what I seen this year. This year Montini had a lot of kids playing both ways in the skill positions but only one or two linemen going both ways. One kid on offense Brian Jackson goes about 270 lbs and did a good job blocking on offense but did not play on defense??

I thought the coaches of Montini did a good overall job with what they had as far as players were concerned but their second half adjustments in all the games Montini lost was subpar IMO.

I agree Montini has the talent to compete in 6a at the skill positions but year after year they struggle with size and depth with the linemen. I think linemen mainly are a product of the true enrollment of the school and that's why I believe truly Montini is a 5a school and the success factor rule is a farce.

I know Montini won 6a just two years ago but that was the best team in their 50 year history in which they had the fastest QB in their history and 2 all state linebackers. This rarely happens.

Reactions: Gene K.
I agree Montini has the talent to compete in 6a at the skill positions but year after year they struggle with size and depth with the linemen. I think linemen mainly are a product of the true enrollment of the school and that's why I believe truly Montini is a 5a school and the success factor rule is a farce.

I know Montini won 6a just two years ago but that was the best team in their 50 year history in which they had the fastest QB in their history and 2 all state linebackers. This rarely happens.

so do 90% of all 6a schools struggle with depth. and once in awhile you get off the chart skill position players. so you will be year in and year out a middle pack 6a school typical qtr finalist. and every cpl of yrs be a champ.
or as you are suggesting, you should be shoulders above in depth vs the 5a schools because you should be playing for a championship every year.

Those are the issues that every school face regardless of class. 90% of the schools in Illinois do not compete for a championship every other year. WWS would be a good example.

so do 90% of all 6a schools struggle with depth. and once in awhile you get off the chart skill position players. so you will be year in and year out a middle pack 6a school typical qtr finalist. and every cpl of yrs be a champ.
or as you are suggesting, you should be shoulders above in depth vs the 5a schools because you should be playing for a championship every year.
It is my understanding that except for the Multiplier and success factor put on it by the IHSA, Montini is by enrollment a 4A team. Correct me if I am wrong! With about 300 boys in the school there definitely is a problem getting bigger linemen on the team. No sour grapes just a fact that Montini traditionally does not have big offensive or defensive linemen which IMO heavily favors the opposing teams they play.

Montini won their six games this year mainly because of their skill position players. Montini's linemen played very well this year given their smaller size but it is tough to run the ball when your RB is getting hit behind or at the line of scrimmage. Likewise on defense its tough to stop a running game by opponents with big linemen versus a smaller D line as a run. Both lines had very good and fast players but Montini did not have a big run stopper in the middle to help stop the run hence the four losses. The only team Montini played this year with similar sized linemen was DePaul Prep.

Reactions: Wassup13
Playing in the CCL Blue will be interesting next year too as Montini with 300 males in the school will be playing teams with 500 to 1300 males in the school (Provi. St Rita, Brother Rice and Loyola).

Still never will understand why such a large enrollment school like Marist is not playing in the Blue??

Playing in the CCL Blue will be interesting next year too as Montini with 300 males in the school will be playing teams with 500 to 1300 males in the school (Provi. St Rita, Brother Rice and Loyola).

Still never will understand why such a large enrollment school like Marist is not playing in the Blue??

I have a lot of respect for the CCL it’s historically significant producing many legendary teams and players but it almost a relic now. There is just to much disparity between the top and bottom schools and the enrollments are all over the place with very few options to add teams. No clue what the answer is but if I was a CCL school I would be pushing for districts.

Gene,

We used to get 1-2 lineman from the heavyweights on our wrestling team which really helped out.

But wrestling has become a year round sport and lately Montini has had trouble finding these heavier guys on the wrestling team.

Clown Baby,

Or another solution is to merge the CCL and ESCC and bring back IC, St Francis and the rest to the fold.

It is my understanding that except for the Multiplier and success factor put on it by the IHSA, Montini is by enrollment a 4A team. Correct me if I am wrong! With about 300 boys in the school there definitely is a problem getting bigger linemen on the team. No sour grapes just a fact that Montini traditionally does not have big offensive or defensive linemen which IMO heavily favors the opposing teams they play.

Montini won their six games this year mainly because of their skill position players. Montini's linemen played very well this year given their smaller size but it is tough to run the ball when your RB is getting hit behind or at the line of scrimmage. Likewise on defense its tough to stop a running game by opponents with big linemen versus a smaller D line as a run. Both lines had very good and fast players but Montini did not have a big run stopper in the middle to help stop the run hence the four losses. The only team Montini played this year with similar sized linemen was DePaul Prep.

honestly, 300 boys is huge benefactor when 180/200 of them are there for football. I fully understand the logic. however, when your depth player(s) can start on most teams that is significant difference in depth. now linemen, everyone is not 6'0 220., or larger but, if you are bringing in wrestlers you are getting 10/12 guys between 175 and 230lbs. I do understand nowadays most wrestlers are not playing multiple sports anymore. but, even the smaller ones are athletic and very able.
in 6a, you get just around the same break 300kids of that each class has around 180/200 boys roughly. now, say 60in frosh, 38 soph, jr/sr 45-53players in a public setting your loss each year is considerable. we are right around the even mark as far as abled bodied players. between 150 - 170 football players. now my depth is 1, 3,6. yours 1,1,2,3 your #2 can start on a majority of teams. your #3 is a true #2. and that is a good majority of your team. my maybe 1-3 skill spots can have depth like that. linemen are the guys that wanna play running back or linebacker that cannot move as fast running backs and linebackers. they get groomed from frosh. and if they like it they still there senior year, if not as most sophs lose allot, so most of them are both ways. and jr/sr year the coaches tell them where they gonna play. oline or dline. sometimes you get a few nuggets.
but, I see your point. if you cannot stack up 6'4 280lb guys shoulder to shoulder, you should play in class with even fewer guys to chose from.

go dogz,

When you talk about "we*, what team are you talking about??

Which of those Blue schools have 1300 males?

Which of those Blue schools have 1300 males?

Not 100% on actual numbers, but Loyola and BR are all male schools.

Provi is at around 1000 kids total, boys and girls give or take. I’m not sure of exact enrollment numbers.

Congrats to Head Coach Joe Hyland (Montini Alum) on moving to the 3rd round of the Michigan State Playoffs with Grand Rapids West Catholic win over Kalamazoo 42-0!

@GRWCFootball

Last edited:
I think bronco will be lucky to get 5 wins next year. Going to blue was rediculous

Don't think it was a choice. What else should they do .... Maybe join Geneva's conference????

Seems Mt Carmel wanted to play down and Fenwick and Marist want no part of joining the blue.

It will only work for Montini if 2 or 3 kids from each nearby public school rather join Montini and play in the blue. It could happen.

Montini is going to have to schedule two nc cupcakes and if anyone complains about a weak nc schedule blame it on the AD.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT