ADVERTISEMENT

Missouri Catholics vs CS8 (2024)

cornerrat

Aug 1, 2009
All.... I find both of these matches interesting and will add any new information available as it appears. Ratsy

Cardinal Ritter @ Rochester week two Friday Sept 6 7PM
What the Lions bring....
2022 Division 3 (14-0)
2023 Division 5 (14-0)
Enrollment 328
Calpreps Rank - 5 Projection - CR 42 Rochester 31 (75%)
Massey Rank - 10 Projection - CR 41 Rochester 28 (66%)

D1 Prospects -
Dejerrion Miller 6'3" 195 Senior WR
Carson Boyd 5'!0" 175 Senior QB
Jamarion Parker 6'0" 185 Senior RB
Antonio Parker 6"0" 170 Senior S
Tyron Steed 6"2" 175 Senior S
Vinaz Cobb 6'! 190 Senior S

Christian Brothers College (H) Sacred Heart-Griffin week one Friday August 30 7PM
What the Cadets Bring....
2021 Division 6 (13-1) Week one loss to ESTL 48-44
2022 Division 6 (13-1) Week two loss to ESTL 64-19
2023 Division 6 (11-3) Championship game stopped late br refs . Liberty North wins 38-7
Enrollment 815 (All Male School)
Calpreps Rank - 4 Projection - CBC 44 Sacred Heart-Griffin 6 (99%)
Massey Rank - 4 Projection - CBC 47 Sacred Heart-Griffin 12 (96%)

D1 Prospects-
Corey Simms 6'3" 205 Senior WR
Triston Abram 6'4" 225 Senior Edge
Lance Walker 6'2" 225 Senior LB
Jackson Kohl 6'5" 240 Senior TE

Odds and Ends....

In the past there has been quite a bit of movement roster wise with these two schools. Until a firm roster becomes available nothing is set in stone as they say.

I took a quick look size wise where these two schools would be if in Illinois and using the Ihsa rules. As a basis I used the playoff qualifiers from 2023. Not perfect by any means but what the heck. The Lions multiplied only would be one of the largest postseason teams in Class 3A.

The Cadets are in a bit of a different situation. I believe I have their formula figured out in the right order correctly. At 815 males their enrollment gets doubled and then multiplied. CBC would of been one the smaller 8A postseason teams. And of course the SF would also come into play more so for Ritter.

If there was a "Holy War" between the two a split decision. Noteworthy though Massey's figures as a rule are more current. Calpreps usually about mid season tend to be more refined.

CBC 39 CR 28 (67%) Massey
CR 35 CBC 31 (60%) CalPreps

I respect schools who have the guts to schedule out of state heavyweights. ESL does it every year and it serves them well come playoff time. I think Rochester vs. Ritter is a toss up shootout while CBC manhandles SHG. Great experience for all four teams no matter which sideline you're on. SHG will then run the table until they get to Rochester.

This Ritter team is no different than the Althoff team with Goodwin. The question is how good is Rochester this year? Althoff didn't win handily nor will Ritter.
Rochester will be down compared to last year, especially on D. Ritter's speed will be slowed by the grass field at Rocket Booster Stadium and DL's offensive sets will keep the Ritter D on their toes. But looking at film from Ritter last year and looking at their roster, the Rockets will consider it a win to keep it within 3 TDs. And that'll be my prediction: Ritter 56-35.

Rochester will be down compared to last year, especially on D. Ritter's speed will be slowed by the grass field at Rocket Booster Stadium and DL's offensive sets will keep the Ritter D on their toes. But looking at film from Ritter last year and looking at their roster, the Rockets will consider it a win to keep it within 3 TDs. And that'll be my prediction: Ritter 56-35.
The Rochester faithful, at least the smart ones, realize this season will be potentially the first 4 loss season the Rockets have seen in 17 years.

The Rochester faithful, at least the smart ones, realize this season will be potentially the first 4 loss season the Rockets have seen in 17 years.
I'm going to withhold judgment on the potential regular season record until after Week 1.

The mostly new Defense is going to be tested severely in 3 of the first 4 games. I do feel confident in predicting the Rockets will give up more than the 165 points surrendered by the '23 Defense. How much more they allow will impact the overall record. The '19 team gave up 334 points but still won a (5A) state title. That team also had a veteran-dominated explosive offense.

🤣 🤣 🤣

I wish I could say we haven't heard this before. But every 5 years or so we're told the believe you and many others when you say "we're not going to be that good." Then you go stomp the CS8 and take a joy ride through 4A.

No one believes you anymore.
Congrats on another 4A title in 2024.

Reactions: net-se
I'm going to withhold judgment on the potential regular season record until after Week 1.

The mostly new Defense is going to be tested severely in 3 of the first 4 games. I do feel confident in predicting the Rockets will give up more than the 165 points surrendered by the '23 Defense. How much more they allow will impact the overall record. The '19 team gave up 334 points but still won a (5A) state title. That team also had a veteran-dominated explosive offense.
Proof y'all belong in 5A or higher.

Proof y'all belong in 5A or higher.
About 5 years ago, it seemed possible that Rochester was going to experience enough enrollment growth to become a small 5A school. Not likely to happen now as they've dropped from being one of the largest 4A playoff schools to near the middle of the 4A pack and are now below 700 students (actual enrollment, not the IHSA average).

While some feel Derek churns out the same team each year, I'd argue the '19 team was uniquely suited to play in 5A. They were senior dominated, with 2-year starting QB Clay Bruno, elite RB Jacob DuRocher, WR Hank Beatty, and (for Rochester) a huge offensive line.

This '24 team is as inexperienced as any since '15 (which lost in the Quarters) and has a front-loaded schedule of three rough games out of the first four. Maybe they'll win 4A again. Betting against Derek is never a great idea. But, believe me, there is nowhere near the confidence level in Rocket land that there was heading into last season.

Last edited:
About 5 years ago, it seemed possible that Rochester was going to experience enough enrollment growth to become a small 5A school. Not likely to happen now as they've dropped from being one of the largest 4A playoff schools to near the middle of the 4A pack and are now below 700 students (actual enrollment, not the IHSA average).

While some feel Derek churns out the same team each year, I'd argue the '19 team was uniquely suited to play in 5A. They were senior dominated, with 2-year starting QB Clay Bruno, elite RB Jacob DuRocher, WR Hank Beatty, and (for Rochester) a huge offensive line.

This '24 team is as inexperienced as any since '15 (which lost in the Quarters) and has a front-loaded schedule of three rough games out of the first four. Maybe they'll win 4A again. Betting against Derek is never a great idea. But, believe me, there is nowhere near the confidence level in Rocket land that there was heading into last season.
It might be bumpy in the beginning, but they'll be fine. When was the last time they were on the road first round? How deep did they go?

Fair points. I do like that Rochester will get a chance to branch out in early in the year from now one with the new conf format. That said, it's all for what? It's prep for 4A postseason. 5 wins is a guaranteed "in" for the bracket and they'll pummel anyone in 4A til Byron... who they'll outcoach and likely beat by 2 or 3 scores late in the game. You can be as low on confidence as you want at this point... the reality is, your postseason path is substantially easier than your regular season one through 5 weeks.

Reactions: rocketnation
Fair points. I do like that Rochester will get a chance to branch out in early in the year from now one with the new conf format. That said, it's all for what? It's prep for 4A postseason. 5 wins is a guaranteed "in" for the bracket and they'll pummel anyone in 4A til Byron... who they'll outcoach and likely beat by 2 or 3 scores late in the game. You can be as low on confidence as you want at this point... the reality is, your postseason path is substantially easier than your regular season one through 5 weeks.
Byron is 3A

Take away the fact that Byron is 3A, I wouldn't be so confident they would beat them by 2-3 scores....if they can beat them.

Reactions: FB1976
2008, lost at Mt Zion in 1st Round. The Rockets were still in the Corn Belt conference at that time.
Rockets took a few lickin's back then... but 2009 rolled around and the rest, as they say, is history. The climb was steep, but so, so fast... Often makes you wonder, huh? At a pub? What a lucky son of a gun that DL is... hit the lottery

2005 - Record 3-6; no playoffs; Derek Leonard's first season as HC
2006 - Lost Round 1 (39-14 Newton)
2007 - Lost Round 1 (A-J 49-14)
2008 - Lost Round 1 (41-33 MTZ, you've never heard of them... we get it)
2009 - Semi's (lost by 1 to eventual state champion Metamora)
2010 - 4A Title (the infamous QND game followed by Revenge on the Redbirds)
2011 - 4A Title (Complained about Charleston semi game start time, a lot, then played an instant classic at state vs. R-B)
2012 - 4A Title (cruise control, never challenged)
2013 - 4A Title (The "We Hate 4A Private School Tour" defeated BMD, Althoff, Alleman in south; Geneseo found a way to stop DL's offense and still couldn't beat DL's Rockets)
2014 - 4A Title (The Year of Phillips, who got taken to the woodshed)
2015 - Qaurters ("WTF just happened" is likely what Cigaros said as Althoff celebrated)
2016 - 4A Title (Fear not, the ship didn't sink...but Althoff almost made magic twice)
2017 - 4A Title (That Morris game though!)
2018 - Semi's (BMac at the OK Corral)
2019 - 5A Title (because of course they can)
2020 - Poop
2021 - Semi's (Who's Your Daddy? The SHG L)
2022 - Semi's (Who's Your Daddy? Part Deux)
2023 - 4A Title (...the rain is gone)

The only counter to your points I'll make is that at 5 or 6 wins, you're on the road more often in the playoffs. Strange things sometimes happen in the playoffs to even the "better" teams when they have to travel. In the 2014 semi's at Herrin, the huge home crowd (literally the whole town it seemed like) rattled the Rockets into 3 and out, fumble, fumble offensive possessions to start the game.

Last edited:
Rockets took a few lickin's back then... but 2009 rolled around and the rest, as they say, is history. The climb was steep, but so, so fast... Often makes you wonder, huh? At a pub? What a lucky son of a gun that DL is... hit the lottery

2011 - 4A Title (Complained about Charleston semi game start time, a lot, then played an instant classic at state vs. R-B)
2013 - 4A Title (The "We Hate 4A Private School Tour" defeated BMD, Althoff, Alleman in south; Geneseo found a way to stop DL's offense and still couldn't beat DL's Rockets)
2015 - Qaurters ("WTF just happened" is likely what Cigaros said as Althoff celebrated)
2016 - 4A Title (Fear not, the ship didn't sink...but Althoff almost made magic twice)
2020 - Poop
The 2015 and 2016 Althoff games were two of the best I've ever seen, defensive coordinator horrors with the combined outcome margin of 5 points. Still have nightmares about Althoff RB Jaylon Bester occasionally.

Last edited:
I do not condone policital violence but the Althoff Mama had really good aim when she plumked Saint Derek with a water bottle.

The only counter to your points I'll make is that at 5 or 6 wins, you're on the road more often in the playoffs. Strange things sometimes happen in the playoffs to even the "better" teams when they have to travel. In the 2014 semi's at Herrin, the huge home crowd (literally the whole town it seemed like) rattled the Rockets into 3 and out, fumble, fumble offensive possessions to start the game.
And the final was 28-9...

The 2015 and 2016 Althoff games were two of the best I've ever seen, defensive coordinator horrors with the combined outcome margin of 5 points. Still have nightmares about Althoff RB Jaylon Bester occasionally.
All.... Some plays in games I don't forget in the past even with other teams. One such was that Crusader/Rocket game from 2015. And sometimes going the "tricky" route doesn't work. If I recall correctly the last two critical series for the Rockets they decide to go all in on several throws to the Rockets tall WO Stallworth and it doesn't work. The last throw a pick with time running out. One of the two Cox twins was having a monster game in catches I believe it was Avante? Dante I think had a few catches and was working hard on defense. Last series I 'm throwing to one of the twins. Both had an uncanny ability of getting open and yac's. Never liked those timing jump ball catches even if your receiver is much taller then the db. Just my two cents worth. Ratsy

All.... Some plays in games I don't forget in the past even with other teams. One such was that Crusader/Rocket game from 2015. And sometimes going the "tricky" route doesn't work. If I recall correctly the last two critical series for the Rockets they decide to go all in on several throws to the Rockets tall WO Stallworth and it doesn't work. The last throw a pick with time running out. One of the two Cox twins was having a monster game in catches I believe it was Avante? Dante I think had a few catches and was working hard on defense. Last series I 'm throwing to one of the twins. Both had an uncanny ability of getting open and yac's. Never liked those timing jump ball catches even if your receiver is much taller then the db. Just my two cents worth. Ratsy
On one of those throws, Collin had it for a moment, but the Althoff DB made a great play and knocked it from his grasp. Rochester was out of time-outs on the last attempt, but I also thought whether trying one of the Cox twins over the middle might have worked for a TD.

2020 - Poop
Great game in 2017 against Morris, but my fav was the 2011 game vs Burton. Your only chance to use the restroom was at halftime!

On one of those throws, Collin had it for a moment, but the Althoff DB made a great play and knocked it from his grasp. Rochester was out of time-outs on the last attempt, but I also thought whether trying one of the Cox twins over the middle might have worked for a TD.
Back left corner and the Althoff DB was 6/5 and played hoops and football at Eastern before he developed a heart problem.

Take away the fact that Byron is 3A, I wouldn't be so confident they would beat them by 2-3 scores....if they can beat them.
It's cute you give Byron hope... Any downstate wealthy suburban program who schedules Loyola once and agrees to go play a so-so (prob below average) CPL school within a 5 year window is a lock to dismantle likely anyone 4A and below... including Byron. Everyone knows the rules...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT