ADVERTISEMENT

Minooka makes a hire

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Hired Terry McCombs as it's next head coach. Terry has been around forever terrific man and coach tons of experience over the years including HC at Bloomington, various assistant stops at DGS Normal, LWC Lemont among others and is a defensive guy.

As mentioned many times before Minooka isn't an easy job these days and on several levels this hiring makes sense. Terry is a veteran coach with a ton of connections and I'm sure will bring in at least a handful of his "guys" if not more as well to fill out his staff.

Minooka issues? Aging teaching staff on hand limited in house coaching resources/candidates. Minooka also has easily the worst/most outdated facilities in the Joliet area, a school district that brings kids in from three separate community that has been at each other's throats for as long as I can remember, political issues inside and outside of the sports program/building and more.

Hopefully Terry can get a good foundation put in place and bring together some things. For all the issues this is still a community that has talent and seems to win in several other sports (track/baseball/hoops to an extent) over the years...

Very good points, Edgy.
Coach McCombs veteran leadership should lend itself to clean up some of the issues surrounding the Indian program.
i.e. change in culture with relation player buy-in to an offseason program, bickering among the coaches, unrealistic parents, over-involved school board.

The herald news article said McCombes is 69. It's doubtful that he will be in this role for an extended period of time. Hopefully, he can clean-up some of these things and make it better for the next guy.

Minooka also has easily the worst/most outdated facilities in the Joliet area,

Hey now,wait a minute...they put up a huge addition,added a gym,weight room,auditorium my sophomore year there....................ok,you are right.It is outdated. :(

Reactions: 89morrisgrad
Minooka also has easily the worst/most outdated facilities in the Joliet area,

Hey now,wait a minute...they put up a huge addition,added a gym,weight room,auditorium my sophomore year there....................ok,you are right.It is outdated. :(

Yes built a campus in Channahon that was slated to become Channahon High in 2014...and that was at the time everything was going great guns here....and we all know how that turned out.

Added a new gym at the new campus that's true...also no spacious weight room no athletic field either.....biggest mistake they have made in my opinion...literally every varsity sport is run out of Minooka Central (old Minooka campus). Lots of mistakes over here 4A and they just keep making them.

Terry's hiring I actually feel is a positive for now....no more internal candidates that they obviously like so bring in a veteran "outside" coach let him bring some of his staff and start over....and hopefully hire some coaches in house as well. When was the last time Minooka hired an alum that actually played football at Minooka?

Terry's hiring I actually feel is a positive for now....no more internal candidates that they obviously like so bring in a veteran "outside" coach let him bring some of his staff and start over....and hopefully hire some coaches in house as well.

It will be interesting to see the makeup of his staff. I can see a bunch of guys that have head coaching experience working with him along the same lines that DGS has 10+ years ago when most of the varsity assistants were former hc's

And 100 percent one oif the big reasons for the hire very limited in house pool of coaches left so...
Bring Jim Boyter out of retirement to help out. Pretty sure he still teaches at Minooka. He was head coach for a while and coached a State Championship at JC in 87.

Bring Jim Boyter out of retirement to help out. Pretty sure he still teaches at Minooka. He was head coach for a while and coached a State Championship at JC in 87.

Coach Boyter taught both my kids in drivers ed great guy....but your suggestion is exactly what's wrong with Minooka...too many at or near retirement candidates in house who are done coaching...literally no new blood around whatsoever.

Yes but not for a long time...

After looking at houses this weekend, I will bet you a beer that there is a second Minooka high school within 8 years.. a lot of new construction starting, 201 says they need to build 2 new schools because of increased enrollment.. MCHS says next years freshmen class will be biggest ever, back to back 700 plus.. real estate market in hopping, guy we talked to said that area is maybe the hottest in state for new constructions

After looking at houses this weekend, I will bet you a beer that there is a second Minooka high school within 8 years.. a lot of new construction starting, 201 says they need to build 2 new schools because of increased enrollment.. MCHS says next years freshmen class will be biggest ever, back to back 700 plus.. real estate market in hopping, guy we talked to said that area is maybe the hottest in state for new constructions
If 201 referendum passes Shorewood will have their own 5 to 8 campus which they have desperately needed for some time now. Eventually the high school district will build a third campus in Shorewood. Ideally, all three campuses will separate and function as independent schools a la Plainfield, Oswego, Lincoln way, etc. Still 5 to 10 years down the road at least for that third high school to be built, but it will be needed eventually.

You already have a second campus on Route 6 in Channahon....they are all set to go just need the numbers to make it happen...and a record incoming freshman class next fall is a goo start. And please keep pumping up our home values please :)

You already have a second campus on Route 6 in Channahon....they are all set to go just need the numbers to make it happen...and a record incoming freshman class next fall is a goo start. And please keep pumping up our home values please :)

One of the guys we talked to admitted he increased the asking price $15K because he could...

What???? I thought that was a junior high school I have been driving by all these years....thought it was awful big for a jr high ;) Even have a damn stoplight in front of it now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT