ADVERTISEMENT

MC vs. Naz

I've been waiting for you to check in. If it isn't classified, can you give us an injury report? Grant was helped off the field, although he came back. And after Swain's interception, a defender rolled on him. You could tell he was hurt, but not how bad.
Had to work OT yesterday! Grant has been battling a hyperextended elbow all year. The brace came loose, they tightened it up and he did go back in. He was hoisting the IHSA Game Ball Box, he’ll be ready to go. Jameson and Brady tweaked their knees but both came back in, I’ll know more tomorrow but I’m assuming both are fine since they went back in. Unless they got a break, a tear or can’t remember their names, everyone will be playing Saturday!

No offense to Montini, but Carmel and its quarterback have gotten considerably better since then, showing marked improvement with each game. They dispatched GBN and Willowbrook, their two biggest challenges so far, by deploying multiple weapons on both sides of the ball.

Justin has been improving all year, no question, and no offense to GBN or WB, but they weren't exactly the 27 Yankees of the state playoffs. I saw both teams play early, mid and late. Naz is too much for them right now but that's why they play the games, right? We'll all know in 5 days and 9 hours if I'm a genius or not.

No offense to Montini, but Carmel and its quarterback have gotten considerably better since then, showing marked improvement with each game. They dispatched GBN and Willowbrook, their two biggest challenges so far, by deploying multiple weapons on both sides of the ball.
I’m not saying this means anything relative to Carmel but this Naz team has improved more than any I’ve see from beginning to end. They weren’t the preseason #1 team some predicted week 1, they are playing like that team now. That’ll happen when you lose the SR class Naz had last year. All the new faces are clicking now, I can’t wait till Saturday!

Here’s my early week thoughts and the loyal posters here know I’m not one of those “Your team is going down” juvenile posters. Naz is the favorite. They have one of the best QBs in the nation and a stable of D-1 receivers to throw too with a decent line to boot. I don’t know much about them defensively, Keeler is a stud and their MLB is very good too. Naz is as advertised. But I really love this MC team, it’s been one of my favorites I’ve ever watched and this is why....

They are a tough group of players. Both physically and mentally. Physically on defense they fly to the ball and when they hit you can hear it in the stands. Offensively Kenenna Odeluga is a special player, I’ve been saying that the last two years, he’ll leave after next season as one of MC best. Justin Lynch is playing like he’s a third year starting senior, but he’s a first year junior. The RPO offense has really came together in the second year. They are a two headed monster now, not a one trick pony.

But their mental toughness really stands out to me. Nothing bothers this group. They had to deal with the states biggest coaching change ever and all the media and negativity that came with that. They were told by many MC Football as we know it is over. They shrugged it off. They had to learn an entirely new offense, and when you go from the veer to any new offense, it’s a huge change. They made it work. The senior class had their starting QB transfer to BR, their classes best running back and a D1 linemen go to Phillips and a WR go to Simeon. See ya, next up please. And this junior class...30-0 so far and all the confidence in the world.

So I’ll chime in on my prediction later in the week, but until then, way to go MC!! Take it all in this week, you earned it and won’t forget it!! GO CARAVAN!!!

Although I haven't been able to watch any of the games this year it just seems like Naz has been improving from week to week, and is now firing on all cylinders. MC has a very formidable team that is tough on both sides of the ball. The two teams have similar schedules (I'm not saying Naz played CCL Blue by any stretch but common opponents and playoffs are even), and I think it will be extremely close. Ultimately I believe my alma mater the Roadrunners get the W and the title, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it go either way. The only surprise I'd imagine would be a blow out on either side. Go Naz! Now back to my popcorn and the numerous hot and sarcastic takes!

Tyler Morris and Odelunga will be a treat to watch. Two extremely capable backs. Odelunga runs like a tank rolling over all the opposition and Morris is shifty and if he hits an open spot he's gone. Two very good QB's too. That said, who wins the battle of the trenches on both sides of the ball will win. Good luck to both teams.

Naz is not hitting on all cylinders. Many times I see them in very long situations on O and I'm not satisfied with their running game.

Naz, show me something on Saturday.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
@pjjp

Okay needed to take a little break. So far I see that 17 is a pretty good kick off guy putting about 80% of his kicks into the end zone for touchbacks. His tendency is to pull things across his body with kicks breaking right to left. He’s also got a decent boot for field goals and I believe his season long is 38yds but seems to prefer it from the left hash to draw it back inside. He also handles the punting, has a knack with backspin making him hazardous from inside the 45 to pin you deep. His punt control does not seem to be his friend leaving a lot of punts to be fielded between the hashes and also has a tendency to shank pretty badly when hurried(I’d think this is common with most punters in HS)

Special teams coverage units as a whole are average or above with good speed and great pursuit to the ball. I’d give this group overall a B to B+. I will take a look at the Defense and Offense now and if you like report back.

We expect a full report upon completion of your film study.

I see Naz as the clear favorite, but a MC win wouldn't be a shock. I just think Naz has too many athletes. It seems their O-line has greatly improved throughout the year, and their defense is an experienced and talented group, even though the offense gets most of the acclaim. And, JJ is an X factor. Difficult to quantify the effect he has on a game. I like Lynch too, but JJ is arguably the best QB the state has produced in a long time.

@pjjp

I appreciate the candid feedback and prolly sit about the same place you do regarding the outcome at this point. I’m looking for the glaring outlier that could be exploited either way, and so far I see few at best. I will keep watching and see what I see. Regarding Naz’s defense, I agree, better than people think and certainly nastier in the trenches than expected.

I see Naz as the clear favorite, but a MC win wouldn't be a shock. I just think Naz has too many athletes. It seems their O-line has greatly improved throughout the year, and their defense is an experienced and talented group, even though the offense gets most of the acclaim. And, JJ is an X factor. Difficult to quantify the effect he has on a game. I like Lynch too, but JJ is arguably the best QB the state has produced in a long time.

pjjp:

As most know here, I am a natural contrarian. At risk of being declared an arch-betraying Judas by my CCL brethren, I tend to believe Nazareth will defeat the Caravan for the 7A title this week.

I think Roadrunner beats MC by two scores.

Reactions: epicbret and pjjp
@pjjp

Okay needed to take a little break. So far I see that 17 is a pretty good kick off guy putting about 80% of his kicks into the end zone for touchbacks. His tendency is to pull things across his body with kicks breaking right to left. He’s also got a decent boot for field goals and I believe his season long is 38yds but seems to prefer it from the left hash to draw it back inside. He also handles the punting, has a knack with backspin making him hazardous from inside the 45 to pin you deep. His punt control does not seem to be his friend leaving a lot of punts to be fielded between the hashes and also has a tendency to shank pretty badly when hurried(I’d think this is common with most punters in HS)

Special teams coverage units as a whole are average or above with good speed and great pursuit to the ball. I’d give this group overall a B to B+. I will take a look at the Defense and Offense now and if you like report back.
49 yrd versus St. Viator is his longest this year. He was at about a 99% touchback ratio, but with the colder weather and higher winds it’s down to about 85-90. Hit game winner vs LA as time expired.

in my most humble of opinions the catalyst for MC is Dave Lenti. He is among the best in the business.

One of the Mc players said we will make you drive 8-10 plays and bet your HS QB will make an error. AKA make a mistake. I heard Mike O'Neill, HC at St. Lawerence and Andrew, say the same exact thing at the U of I coaches clinic when it came to defending John Wren run and shoot at HF.

If MC limits the big plays of the mighty Roadrunners I pick Mc in this one. An old school proven scheme... yet its a difficult task against a VERY talented team and outstanding coach

MC backers, I’m assuming Lenti is the defensive Coordinator, what does Jerry Blew do for the caravan

This is the most intriguing game to me. Sometimes I think Naz then I think MC. It would be a monster win for the Roadrunners to win a championship over an Illinois Blue Blood.

Reactions: Irish LB
@pjjp

Okay let’s look at the DBs next...#10, listed as a corner but really appears to play more of a roving safety, is long and can cover a lot of ground with his 6’2” frame. He is truly the shinning star in a backfield that is going to be challenged if the DL and LBs can’t get home against the Roadrunners!
#7 another safety that is good in coverage and when sent seems to have a nose for the Ball and QB.
#21 The up and coming corner playing beyond his class is talented but with his 5’7” 140# frame will be challenged for sure by big receivers.
#13 listed as a free safety but going to be in a tough slot this Saturday having to cover Ty Morris.
#28 again listed as a safety and I believe coming in as a reliever or when playing Nickel.

There has been some serious smack talk about how MC will shut down Ty, but I’m interested to hear more about who’s going to cover Landon in man at 6’6” Alex, and Breven to start this discussion with some details.

Of course...

@pjjp

Okay let’s look at the DBs next...#10, listed as a corner but really appears to play more of a roving safety, is long and can cover a lot of ground with his 6’2” frame. He is truly the shinning star in a backfield that is going to be challenged if the DL and LBs can’t get home against the Roadrunners!
#7 another safety that is good in coverage and when sent seems to have a nose for the Ball and QB.
#21 The up and coming corner playing beyond his class is talented but with his 5’7” 140# frame will be challenged for sure by big receivers.
#13 listed as a free safety but going to be in a tough slot this Saturday having to cover Ty Morris.
#28 again listed as a safety and I believe coming in as a reliever or when playing Nickel.

There has been some serious smack talk about how MC will shut down Ty, but I’m interested to hear more about who’s going to cover Landon in man at 6’6” Alex, and Breven to start this discussion with some details.
Well....three of them are studs on the basketball team and 1 is one of the states best in track in the hurdles so they have amazing leaping ability. The above mentioned also have 27 INTs as a unit. As to who will cover who, just leave that up to Coach Dave Lenti. He’s hands down the best Defensive Coordinator in the State. This will be his 17th time coaching in the State Championship, DB Coach Nolan is also outstanding and is in his second decade as DB coach. They’ll put them in position that they think will give us the best chance for success. They’ve faced D1 and talented receivers all season from Maine South, Montini, LA, Marist BR and Phillips...they’ll be fine.

Lastly, even though I’ve made the mistake many times, if your going to break each player down and critique them, remember they read this board as do their parents...some post on this site...if you want to discuss as a whole unit, fine but if there is going to be a continuation of player by player breakdown with any possible negative criticism, you and @pjjp might want to keep that discussion to a PM. Not saying anything you’ve said in particular has been negative or untrue even but just a heads up moving forward.

Last edited:
Jwar, in all his talking, has never bashed a kid. He's wise to that. He said literally nothing negative in his post here.

Jwar, in all his talking, has never bashed a kid. He's wise to that. He said literally nothing negative in his post here.
Never said he did, just requesting he stays the course moving forward, I’m actually enjoying this

Never said he did, just requesting he stays the course moving forward, I’m actually enjoying this
I will admit. He did touch on one of the match ups I thought Naz might look to exploit with their tall receivers, especially in the red zone. But, this MC defense has risen to the occasion all year, so we shall see.

I will admit. He did touch on one of the match ups I thought Naz might look to exploit with their tall receivers, especially in the red zone. But, this MC defense has risen to the occasion all year, so we shall see.
They have a red zone package that he missed where a couple players not mentioned above are brought in for coverage and its worked very well so far.

So have we determined who the favorite is? It's hard to bet against the Naz offense, but the MC D has been formidable all year.

ADVERTISEMENT