ADVERTISEMENT

MC at St. Rita The Rivalry is back...

After SR went up, I believe MC came out with both Steve Richardson and Enoch Smith in the backfield blocking for Domer on the final drive. It was awesome to see.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 😂
But yes that was a vintage MC ground and pound, clock-draining drive that MC has done to many a playoff opponent. It was sick to watch.

Yes the infamous “DGN won’t get past the 50 yard line” prediction game. And I don’t think they did. MC D that year was phenomenal and the 25 mph winds and rain/mist all game did both offenses no favors.
After SR was up 15-13 with 6 minutes to play in round 2, MC D gave up a total of 6 points against the quarters, semis and championship teams they faced. @Blue Ruin point remains.
I think it was 13-0 at half and MC was in command and SR adjusted nicely and hit them with a trick play and took the lead. Then MC fed Domer down the field. He ran angry that last drive. Great game and crowd! Tommy Mister! I know he had a stop at IU, did he finish at NIU? Domer was supposed to go to Illinois, but he had grade issues, went to Bowling Green and get some playing time but didn’t come close to what I thought he could have done in College. He reminded be of Matt Forte at MC, long running style, 4 strides it seems like he got 15 yards.

didn’t come close to what I thought he could have done
Another Matt, Matt Alviti of Maine South, looked like a future star in high school but unfortunately went nowhere in college. I always think of him, among others, when I think of lost potential.

This is the best football-related news I've read in several years.

I know my inclination toward Saint Rita in this annual clash rankled Dean and a few of my edgy acquaintances in the past. Nevertheless, I am eager to see the resumption of the rivalry and will be on hand to witness it.

Dean: Perhaps I will deign to, at long last, meet with you for this one.

MWittman - Dean is paying a St Rita Freshman to keep his parking spot open the morning of the game. Dean - you buying him a 12 pack and some cigars right?

Reactions: MWittman
Way to early breakdown

SR- Has Kaleb Brown...enough said. Huge advantage there. They also have a capable QB and some Hogs up front. But they lost a ton of talent as well with Wilson, Bragg, James, Griffin, on offense and Gaughton, Schmidt and others on D. But again, you got the States highest ranked player, its hard to overcome, they just won't the other impact players they've had the past 2 years to go with him. Rita's current Sophmores have been just average the past 2 years.

MC- Lots to reload on offense. QB a big ? until they know for sure whats up with Rogers injury. Enzo De Rosa actually had more carries then Odeluga this Spring and shined at times but isn't an every down back. Darrion Dupree was a Freshman Phenom at RB and may get some work. Boersma is a D1 linemen but they need to replace the other 4. Current Soph Durig (6"5 290) is getting some attention by schools. Marist WR transfer Tucker Miller got hurt and didn't play at all in the Spring, but I heard he has talent. Joey Thompson had 16 receptions vs BR and had a few other big games, he will be a workhorse, but they got some holes to fill offensively. Defense will be strong. 7 players who started or had extended playing time in the Spring will be back. 2 DL starters, 2 LB and 3 DBs. Class of 2023 was 9-0 as Freshman.

Early Prediction. SR in 2021, MC in 2022. Both great games.
SR will suprise you in 2022 as well. They have some dogs on the lower level at the skill positions & on D. Real nice freshman sensations in Middleton & DJ Stewart.

This is the best football-related news I've read in several years.

I know my inclination toward Saint Rita in this annual clash rankled Dean and a few of my edgy acquaintances in the past. Nevertheless, I am eager to see the resumption of the rivalry and will be on hand to witness it.

Dean: Perhaps I will deign to, at long last, meet with you for this one.
Mwitty - glad to see you're still around.

No dog in the fight, but I'm pumped after watching the video. Glad to see this rivalry back on.

This is great! Nice job! Let the record show that TK extended the hand out first!

A two-year commitment.

Listen, I know we posters are like dust in the wind or specks of sand on the beach, but did we have some influence here?
Witty:

Can you guess which team I'll be cheering for?

Reactions: Wittymoniker1
MWittman - Dean is paying a St Rita Freshman to keep his parking spot open the morning of the game. Dean - you buying him a 12 pack and some cigars right?
Topiary:

Knowing Dean, it will be a bottle of Wild Irish Rose and a package of Swisher Sweets.

Reactions: Wittymoniker1
And for once in my decade or so on this site, I am speechless. Great job by Coach Kuska and Coach Lynch. I can’t wait for the 50 year olds fighting on Western Ave at the post game parties. Good times
RockSoup:

The way some are hyping this game, one would think we had returned to the late 1980s and were discussing the 1989 matchup. The greatest high school football game I ever saw, the 1989 SR-MC game was the only high school contest I ever attended at Gately in which overflowing crowd forced CPS to close the gate.

A 14-7 SR win, those two teams bludgeoned each other for 48 minutes.

If CCL fans are treated to anything remotely close to what occurred in 1989, I will have seen another great matchup. Though I may antagonize some of my spiritual cousins on this board, I proudly declare my allegiance to Saint Rita.

GO MUSTANGS!

RockSoup:

The way some are hyping this game, one would think we had returned to the late 1980s and were discussing the 1989 matchup. The greatest high school football game I ever saw, the 1989 SR-MC game was the only high school contest I ever attended at Gately in which overflowing crowd forced CPS to close the gate.

If CCL fans are treated to anything remotely close to what occurred in 1989, I will have seen another great matchup. Though I may antagonize some of my spiritual cousins on this board, I proudly declare my allegiance to Saint Rita.

GO MUSTANGS!
Bless you. I still hope DOS pardons your adoption of St. Rita (and I appreciate your full spelling of our patroness) for the upcoming return of the rivalry and meets up with you that night. I will reserve two 50-ish yard line seats for you 2 edgy legends as the date nears.

The pads sound like they are lined with microphones when these 2 programs meet . You heard it in 1989 and will experience it again in 2021.

Witty:

Can you guess which team I'll be cheering for?

MW,

It's really good to read that a Titan on this board is behind the Mustang!

The newbies on this board need to go back to your posting history to catch a glimpse of your intellect, enthusiasm and honesty on all topics.

I know you're a busy man, but wish you posted more.

I do remember after one of my first posts, you were on the Cascia bandwagon back then! I shall now remove lips from your arse! LOL!

RockSoup:

GO MUSTANGS!

Best game I ever attended as well. However, still did not make up for the gane I attended 11 months earlier when MC won at 63rd and Claremont to go downstate. But the 89 game was amazing. I remember fireman watching from the fire trucks.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
Rock, Witty:

I've witnessed enough Saint Rita-Mount Carmel games to know the energy at 77th Place and Western on the evening of August 27th will surpass the output of a nuclear furnace. It's a feature of the annual contest and an atmosphere I have dearly missed since the rivalry was interrupted.

A man of affable nature, while I am fairly confident Dean has accepted my partiality to Saint Rita, I don't believe it is a matter over which any resentment lingers. Nevertheless, should Dean find my allegiance to Saint Rita is a hurdle which would hamper the cultivation of a rich friendship, I would graciously embrace absolution from him and the Carmelites. The power to forgive is indeed a rare gift.

Witty:

I am flattered at your praise and your petition I appear more often. I do lurk; however, I have been preoccupied. My business suffered moderately due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but after October, it thankfully rebounded.

In addition to devoting attention to business matters, an enterprise I started independently and originally as a leisure interest unexpectedly grew and has since last August continued to grow steadily. An undertaking which has received quite a bit of attention, I've got several people committed to this operation, all of whom believe we are performing a vital civic duty to the City of Chicago.

Despite the distractions, I will make a pledge to visit more often beginning this fall.

Reactions: RockSoup
septon:

The 1989 Saint Rita-Mount Carmel game was my first visit to Gately and the first SR-MC game I attended. I had read the hype in the week prior and the Tribune had run a full account of the rivalry several days before the game so naturally I was anticipating a slug fest. I got it and didn't take my eyes off the field for 48 minutes. Every inch of the stadium was filled with hundreds vying to catch a glimpse from outside the gate.

The 1989 game exceeded all expectations.

ADVERTISEMENT