ADVERTISEMENT

Marist HC Pat Dunne steps down

stella16

Oct 26, 2015
Pat Dunne steps down at Marist effective immediately. Will take a job with a Fortune 500 company

Yeah no one saw this coming and I know Pat was really excited about the 2017 team when we talked at Richards a few weeks ago wish him nothing but the best

Is it a "pick'em" game now against the Crusader? Just asking.
They still have the more talented team and a Coach that knows the system....I'm sure he would have hoped for more then 4 weeks to prepare...

I think it's extremely unprofessional. I've seen kids on twitter saying "he's the main reason I went to Marist", now you quit on these kids the month before they set foot in the school? I noticed many were completely shocked. He couldn't push this job off until November? I think most bosses would understand. As a football coach you constantly preach "Don't quit!" and he quit on them a month before the season. I wouldnt be happy if i sent my kid to BR & Badke did this at this point in the game. Just my take.

I think it's extremely unprofessional. I've seen kids on twitter saying "he's the main reason I went to Marist", now you quit on these kids the month before they set foot in the school? I noticed many were completely shocked. He couldn't push this job off until November? I think most bosses would understand. As a football coach you constantly preach "Don't quit!" and he quit on them a month before the season. I wouldnt be happy if i sent my kid to BR & Badke did this at this point in the game. Just my take.
you're kidding right ? Company isn't going to wait until November for you. Maybe he could've worked out early hours to get to practice by 4 everyday and work side by side with the new coach but no company is sitting around waiting 4 months so you can coach football.

I'm sure he asked if they could hold the position but I'm sure they told him it had to be filled right away, so he did what he had to do for his family. Badke left Rice....he's still the coach, but he's not with the school anymore, he's going to try to juggle both this year and I give him full credit for that, but if it becomes more then he can handle, he may not be at Rice in 2018. Families first.

Reactions: FootballTrack8

Shocking that your take is negative towards Marist, who would've guessed that.

you're kidding right ? Company isn't going to wait until November for you. Maybe he could've worked out early hours to get to practice by 4 everyday and work side by side with the new coach but no company is sitting around waiting 4 months so you can coach football.
I'm not kidding. Did he divulge to these kids he recruited that he was actively in the job market & may not be there when they set foot in the door for their first day of class? How about their parents? Did he tell them? You don't think kids choose their school based on the coach at all? If not, you are being naive.

We have no idea what all went into this major decision. The reality is he has to provide as best he can for his family and that is more than just finances. Maybe he also just wanted to have a chance at a more normal schedule to be with his family. Beyond that, there's not much to say. I feel bad for the boys who chose their program mainly because of Pat. Many would have chosen the program regardless for the all the usual reasons. I am not a Marist guy. When you have a high quality coach they have strong assistants and this is the case here. Other than his staying, I am sure the administration would have preferred to open up for a true search, but with the season so close at hand, that option was not available. If Coach Dawczak does not work out, they can always open it up down the road. As has been made abundantly clear, the program is in great shape.

I'm not kidding. Did he divulge to these kids he recruited that he was actively in the job market & may not be there when they set foot in the door for their first day of class? How about their parents? Did he tell them? You don't think kids choose their school based on the coach at all? If not, you are being naive.

Nobody has any idea as to the full details behind the decision. To speculate that he has been looking for a job for a long time and trying to deceive these families is unfair to Dunne who by all accounts is a great guy. My guess is some type of personal situation came up that necessitated him finding a job that provided better financial security and it probably happened pretty quickly hence this breaking out of nowhere. This is the southside, no secrets stay under wraps around here for very long.

Lot of speculation & negative judging here which is wrong. Actually his wife and newborn were hospitalized for a very long time. There were/are complications. His family comes first and I 100% agree and respect that. He has been a a professional, dedicated man/coach and I'm sure he made the school aware way beforehand and the opportunity arose quickly. Parents should be teaching their kids never to attend a h.s. or college because of a coach. The job position constantly changes. Don't think anybody on this thread should be spewing negativity and judging unless you know all the details.

Coach Dunne is nothing but a class act. I have nothing but respect for him. My nephew plays for Marist. Jadon Thompson freshmen receiver from last season. Yes he went to Marist because of Coach Dunne. Yes he is sad Coach is gone. But he also played for Coach Dawczak on the freshmen team last season while also dressing for varsity. He is just hyped for his sophomore season to get underway. Marist is going to have a good football team.

HAHA shocker a guy with a handle Go Rice is negatively talking about Marist football. The kids you see tweeting that they went to Marist because of coach Dunne are juniors and seniors who have already played for him so don't say he is leaving before these kids step in the school. I would love to see what decision you would have made if you were in his situation. GROW UP

He stepped away b4 the season and not mid semester or anything. Don't see an issue.

Marist will be in good hands with Coach Ron Dawczak, who was very successful coaching the lower levels. Just bad timing for sure. The kids are already familiar with Dawczak.

Push off the job until Nov? Do you live in the real world?

This is so much more likely to happen at the private schools since the coaches/teachers don't get the big salaries/pensions like the publics. Private school teachers make a lot of sacrifices... eventually you have to do what is best for your family. Remember Coach Fitzgerald from St. Francis leaving for Naperville North last year. He got a salary bump plus will receive a pension. Family has to be #1.

I believe this was a very tough decision for Coach Dunne! Reading the Marist press release you can hear it in his comments! He showed a real concern and hope for the future of the program! You can't blame him if he can make a LOT better future for his family! If I was a Marist parent with a kid in the program, because of him, I would only be upset if he was leaving for another coaching job at another high school! I believe Marist did the right thing by hiring from within and announcing it in the same press release as Pat's resignation.

I'm certain he wouldn't have cut bait and run, and guessing he'll be available "behind the scenes" as much as they need him during the transition.

For someone to criticize a person on making a life decision about what's best for his family says more about the dope that made the comment than coach Dunne.

This is no longer a 3-4 month job. This is a 10-11 month gig. Couple that with trying to raise a family and is crystal clear that Dunne made the correct decision.

Calling it unprofessional is about as ignorant and flat out stupid a post as I've seen on these boards. That says a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT